Elkin Speedway - Opening Race 1947

Robert Mitchell
@robert-mitchell
12 years ago
327 posts

The brand new Elkin Speedway openedit's gates to racers and fans on August 10, 1947 with a stock car race orchestrated by Big Bill France and the National Championship Circuit Stock Car Races. Elkin Speedway, aka Elkin-Jonesville Speedway would become one of the 20 tracks of theinaugural 1948 NASCAR season.

Looking at the drivers list shows a who's who of early stock car greats.

updated by @robert-mitchell: 08/05/18 11:04:42AM
Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
12 years ago
3,119 posts

What a wonderful trip down memory (history) lane. Thanks for sharing.

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

Very nice stuff.

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
Robert Mitchell
@robert-mitchell
12 years ago
327 posts

Thanks for the great story of Barney Hall at Elkin, Billy. Has Barney ever been on Racers Reunion radio? The stories he could tell...

Thanks everyone for taking the time to read all these. Glad you enjoyed them.

I edited the description of the photo that attributed it to this race. I simply don't know what date it was, but it looks early. Probably late fall of 1947 or early 1948 beforeSpring by the lack of leaves on the trees.

Robert Mitchell
@robert-mitchell
12 years ago
327 posts

Can anyone tell me more about the race winner Johnny Rogers? From what info I've dug up myself, he had a 5th place at Tri-City Speedway on June 29, 1947 and he won the only NASCAR race at Dover, New Jersey on the inaugural season in 1948. Then he seems to drop off the face of the earth.

The last article above states he raced in the 30's and early 40's (overlooking the typographic errors) and that he had some near death injuries. He really came back strong here in '47 and '48 with his Dover win. Who was this man and what happened to him?? I could find nothing about him anywhere on the internet.

Robert Mitchell
@robert-mitchell
12 years ago
327 posts

Excellent researching. The first article you found gives a nice bit of background of Johnny Rogers' start into racing a stunt driving, and coincides with the race results article about his former injuries. He was a racing hero in the NJ area it seems.

Matt4
@matt4
9 years ago
1 posts

Where exactly was this track? Was this at Lila Swaim Park in Jonesville or actually in Elkin? I haven't been able to find any info on it.

Robert Mitchell
@robert-mitchell
9 years ago
327 posts

Yes, that is exactly where it was. It also went by Jonesville Speedway or Elkin-Jonesville Speedway.

Swaim Park still shows the shape of the track from aerial view. Also, the concrete grandstands are still there.

Robert Mitchell
@robert-mitchell
9 years ago
327 posts

Here's pics of the concrete grandstands I took on 01/15/14 -

A shot from the top of the hill overlooking the track -

TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
6 years ago
4,073 posts

Two images posted by Robert Mitchell about Red Byron's win at Elkin-Jonesville on August 31, 1947.

Preview:

Race report:

--
Schaefer: It's not just for racing anymore.