Anyone know what track this was in Salisbury, NC? **SOLVED** - "Salisbury Sports Arena"

Robert Mitchell
@robert-mitchell
10 years ago
327 posts

Here is a track I've never heard mentioned. It looks smaller than a 1/2 mile, probably 1/3 mile maybe 3/8 but bigger than 1/4. It's a tri-oval, and it has what looks like high banked turns, and dirt grandstand carved into a hill. It was located on the north side of Bringle Ferry Road right before it passes over I-85.

The track doesn't appear on 1961 aerials, but does on 1964 & 65 aerials. It was nothing but a ghost by 1976 which were the next aerials I could find. Lifespan - somewhere within 14 years.

**SOLVED** - Read comments below.

1965 aerials -

Today -

You can still see the footprint of the east turns if you look close -

updated by @robert-mitchell: 12/05/16 04:08:38PM
Dennis Andrews
@dennis-andrews
10 years ago
835 posts

Robert,

Here are some articles I found on what they call the Salisbury Super Speedway and High Point's Tri-City Raceway.

From The Dispatch on July 31,1959

From The Dispatch on July 9,1959. Notice note of sanction by Rockingham Speedway.

From The Dispatch on July 9,1959.

From The Dispatch on July 18,1959.

Robert Mitchell
@robert-mitchell
10 years ago
327 posts

Wow, great articles Dennis! I was especially interested in the Tri-City mentions. I do remember you bringing it to my attention that Tri-City was active into the '60s which was news to me.

And also the mention of a drag strip at Salisbury Super Speedway. I see it on a 1964 aerial and when I first saw it I thought it was a landing strip for planes. Very interesting stuff I wasn't aware of.

Now, this track I'm wondering about couldn't be Salisbury Super Speedway though. The Super Speedway was about 4 miles southwest off the north side of old Highway 29.

Look at this aerial from 1964 and you'll see the Super Speedway and the drag strip in the bottom left corner, and you'll see the track in question in the upper right corner.

Thanks again for those articles! Great stuff.

Robin L. Agner
@robin-l-agner
10 years ago
169 posts

Robert, in the pic. of the Salisbury Super Speedway the Rowan County Airport is approx. 1/2 mile to the north and slightly west of the speedway. I believe the drag strip is the dark strip just south of the speedway.

I went to my first race at Salisbury Super Speedway. It was the Grand National race in 58 and I was almost 5years old.

Former Grand National Driver Larry Hess business "Blast It All" was and may still be located on the old fairgrounds property which is where the speedway was located.

Robert Mitchell
@robert-mitchell
10 years ago
327 posts

Robin, thanks for correcting me about the airport and drag strip. I originally thought that was a landing strip, and come to think of it, it's way to long to be a drag strip. I see the shorter black line of the actual drag strip now. You were very lucky to see the Grand National race there.

Do you have any idea about the tri-oval track off Bringle Ferry Road in the photos above? It was probably active when you first got involved in racing in the late '60s.

Robin L. Agner
@robin-l-agner
10 years ago
169 posts

I grew up about 6 miles from the location of the tri-oval track you are talking about but I have never heard anything about a track being there. I will see if I can find anyone who knows something about it and let you know.

Robert Mitchell
@robert-mitchell
10 years ago
327 posts

I really appreciate you checking into it for me, Robin. It's for history!

Dennis Garrett2
@dennis-garrett2
10 years ago
4 posts

60's 3/8 mile dirt tri-oval "salisbury sports arena" race track

Robin L. Agner
@robin-l-agner
10 years ago
169 posts

I rode out to the site off of Bringle Ferry Rd. yesterday. There are posted signs everywhere in the area. The open field that can be seen on the recent aerials is for sell. I imagine the property probably includes the racetrack property also.

Just after the S shaped driveway, though grown over pretty good, you can still see the road that took you to the track.

That area is not the best of areas to get out and do much exploring.

Robert Mitchell
@robert-mitchell
10 years ago
327 posts

That's it, Dennis! You figured it out! I had given up, but I knew one of you guys here could figure out what this place was. How the heck did you do it? Anyway, great job.

Another forgotten race track remembered.

Robert Mitchell
@robert-mitchell
10 years ago
327 posts

That's awesome, Robin! Where you able to see any of the track footprint?

Thanks to Dennis Garrett we now know the track was called Salisbury Sports Arena. Now with a name maybe that will jog some memories if you ask around about it.

Robert Mitchell
@robert-mitchell
10 years ago
327 posts

Now with a name I was able to find a couple of articles and ads. The track opened on July 28, 1963 and it was 4/10 mile according to the first article, and a 1/2 mile according to the second article.

Ad & article from July 27, 1963 -

Ad & article from August 8, 1964 -

Robin L. Agner
@robin-l-agner
10 years ago
169 posts

No i couldn't see the footprint from where I was. I thought I could while I was there but after getting home and comparing the pictures that I took with the aerial shots what I was seeing was just a long mound of dirt at the edge of the open field.

The power line right of way runs just outside of the 1st turn and can be seen on the 64 & 65 aerials and also the recent aerial shots.

I have not downloaded the pictures off my camera yet but I do have a pic. containing the realtors sign. Maybe I can contact them and get permission to go on the property. The area where the track and grandstands were does not appear to have ever been disturbed. I will give the realtor a call tomorrow and see if I can get lucky.

Thanks for posting the articles about this track and Thank You Dennis for being able to tell us what the name was.

Dennis Garrett2
@dennis-garrett2
10 years ago
4 posts

The History of the American Speedway

Past and Present

by Allan E. Brown

copyright 1984

first edition-first printing

October 1984

page 252

Salisbury Sports Arena - Salisbury - 1/2 mile dirt tri-oval (mid 1960's)

Dennis Garrett2
@dennis-garrett2
10 years ago
4 posts

The History of the American Speedway

Past and Present

by Allan E. Brown

copyright 1984

first edition-first printing

October 1984

page 252

Salisbury Sports Arena - Salisbury - 1/2 mile dirt tri-oval (mid 1960's)

Robin L. Agner
@robin-l-agner
10 years ago
169 posts
The Salisbury Sports Arena should be to the left of the long dirt pile and just beyond the power lines. You can see where the trees look shorter in the area of the old track. I talked with an old friend of mine "Lynn Sink" who went to the track in the 60s. He said he thinks it was dug out like it was in a hole with no guard rails or fence and had pretty high banking. When any cars left the track they would end up in the trees. He also said he thought they ran flat heads there. He thinks it ran for maybe two years if that long. He had been thinking about this old track recently so he and I are going to try to go out there and see what we can find.
Robert Mitchell
@robert-mitchell
10 years ago
327 posts

Thanks for the updates, Robin. I think you guys are going to find something. I believe that's the east turns still showing on the modern aerials. What your friend says about the track only lasting 2 years or less may explain what looks like a huge pool of water in the east turns on the 1965 aerial. The track does look abandoned in that shot.

Have fun and be safe!

Robert Mitchell
@robert-mitchell
10 years ago
327 posts

Thanks, Dennis. I'm ashamed to say I havethat book but didn't even think to look in it. This prompted me to get it out but now I can't even find it! Come to think of it, I believe it was you who brought that book to my attention about a year ago. Awesome book. I can't believe I haven't been using it more.

Jeffrey Powlas
@jeffrey-powlas
8 years ago
1 posts

Robin:

We grew up at that track on the weekends. Ken Kluttz and my Father George Powlas owned one of the fastest car around. They were flat head motors.Ken was a great race car driver.

Jeff