Racing History Minute - May 1, 1964

Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
11 years ago
3,119 posts

I probably wouldn't have picked this race known as the Savannah 200, run on Savannah Speedway on May 1, 1964, was it not for two personal matters involved. With only twelve entries to run 100 miles on the half-mile Savannah track, it would not rank near the top of the list for exciting races.

First up on the "personal " side, it was at this same track, dirt in 1964 but paved in 1971, that I came the closest to winning a race in my five year NASCAR career. But for my friend Johnny Mallonee blocking me, running illegal rods, left side tires on the right, and super secret fuel additives, I would have won that night. But,alas, Johnny beat me out by about six inches. Of course, Johnny being from Georgia and not quite sure of his measurements, claims it to be six feet, but the NASCAR flagman who watched it all supported my side of that discussion.

Secondly, on the "personal" side, the winner of the Savannah race 49 years ago today, once upon a time, drove for me, in one of my cars, for a couple of races. Yes, it is true. He and his wife lived in Columbia, on Margrave Avenue, not far from me, and I would run into him often. We had a slot car track not far away that a bunch of us frequented often during the week, and he came in there one night. I let him "drive" one of my slot cars (I had a team of cars) and he enjoyed it. Looking back, he was only "average" as a slot car driver, but he did go on to win The Daytona 500 and The Southern 500, among other races, so I can't fault him too bad on the small cars. He was, however, consumed with the competitive fire, even on that slot car track.

So, enough of the personal. Now on to Savannah, May 1, 1964.

As already stated, only 12 cars showed up for the race. Jimmy Pardue put the Burton Robinson Plymouth on the pole and Richard Petty would start second in his Plymouth. Pardue went out front on the drop of the flag and held off several challenges from Richard Petty, Marvin Panch, and David Pearson, while paying little attention to former Modified terror, LeeRoy Yarbrough. After all, LeeRoy had never won a Grand National Race and he was driving a year old Plymouth owned by Louie Weathersby, an owner also without a win.

On lap 136 of 200, Pardue's rapid Plymouth developed rear end issues and he headed to the pits, finished for the day. As the crowd looked to pick up the leader, some were surprised to see the number 45 Plymouth of Yarbrough out front. LeeRoy would lead the remainder of the race and took his first checkered flag in Grand National competition. He had just a little more than a lap on second place.

Just one more note on LeeRoy. He continued to live in the Columbia area, although after his tremendous success later in his career he moved into a large (mansion style) home on Lake Murray here. I'll not go into all the details of his downfall as no one has ever quite adequately explained the circumstances surrounding what happened, but I will always remember him as the guy with the ultra competitive spirit who did, within a matter of 20 minutes. learn how to make a slot car fly around that electric track with a competitive fire that fueled him throughout his career. LeeRoy passed away a few years back. It was only after the fact that word leaked out that Junior Johnson had been a frequent visitor to the instituion where LeeRoy was placed for his problems. It is much more pleasant to think of the time spent in his living room listening to his stories as his wife, Gloria, baked cookies which LeeRoy and I would share with glasses of milk. So innocent in those days. Those are the memories I cherish.

It is, I think, worth noting that this Savannah race was the 20th race of the 1964 season and LeeRoy was the 11th different winner in the season.

I'll list all TWELVE finishers for this race:

1. LeeRoy Yarbrough, Louie Weathersby Plymouth, winning $1,000.00

2. Marvin Panch, Wood Brothers Ford, winning $800.00

3. Richard Petty, Petty Enterprises Plymouth, winning $400.00

4. Buddy Baker, J.C. Parker Dodge, winning $300.00

5. Cale Yarborough, Herman Beam Ford, winning $275.00

6. Curtis Crider, Crider Mercury, winning $240.00

7. David Pearson, Cotton Owens Dodge, winning $200.00

8. Andy Buffington, Ford, winning $175.00

9. Roy Tyner, Tyner Chevrolet, winning $150.00

10. Jimmy Helms, Buck Baker Chrysler, winning $150.00

11. Jimmy Pardue, Burton Robinson Plymouth, winning $150.00

12. Ned Jarrett, Bondy Long Ford, winning $150.00

Honor the past, embrace the present, dream for the future

Just a note here to remind everyone that this series comes from my personal memories, newspapers and magazines I have accummulated over the years, but most of all from the Greg Feilden books "Forty Years of Stock Car Racing" and "Rumbling Ragtops". My heartfelt thanks goes out to Greg for his dedication to the preservation of the history of the sport. His books are no long in publication and I'm not sure where you can pick them up as I'm not an "e-bay" or "Amazon" person, but if you're into the history of the sport you may want to check out possibilities. Greg should receive much more recognition for what he did than he has. I know, for me, he is the best of the best. Thank you Greg Fielden.

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

updated by @tim-leeming: 12/05/16 04:00:58PM
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
11 years ago
4,073 posts

The field of 12 cars at Savannah is tied with 6 other races for the fewest starters in GN/Cup history:

08/29/53 - Hickory (winner: Fonty Flock)

08/03/56 - Oklahoma City (winner: Lee Petty)

05/24/59 - Nashville (winner: Rex White)

04/23/61 - Richmond (winner: Richard Petty)

08/07/64 - Myrtle Beach (winner: David Pearson)

10/09/64 - Savannah (winner: Ned Jarrett)

--
Schaefer: It's not just for racing anymore.
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
11 years ago
4,073 posts

And here is a news clipping from the Spartanburg Herald about 'crafty' LeeRoy's win.

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

Thanks for the history lesson, Tim.

I particularly enjoyed the "background" color. That Johnny Mallonee is a pretty cagey fellow and you were playing in his sandbox.

In 1972, for the second consecutive year, I talked 5 Wrangler Jeans co-workers from our Wilson, NC division headquarters into accompanying me to Darlington's Southern 500. We pitched a tent outside Robert E. Lee's Paddock in the Darlington Rescue Squad parking lot early on Sunday afternoon and partied through the night.

I have a special memory of that 1972 Southern 500 because LeeRoy drove my Richmond "hometown" #90 of Junie Donlavey that day. In fact, he gave the #90 one of the best Darlington qualifying runs it ever had, putting the volunteer crewed Swansboro Motor Company / Truxmore entry in the 10th starting position for Junie.

I shot a lot of Kodak Super8 movie film that Labor Day weekend. During the pre-race activities, I got an outstanding shot of LeeRoy with my zoom lens. He was holding a baby up in the air as he stood beside the Donlavey #90 on the starting grid wearing a smile from ear to ear.

Little did we know it would be LeeRoy's final career Darlington start and next to last career Cup start. Unfortunately, he, along with 7th qualifying Bobby Isaac and 11th qualifying Donnie Allison would crash out together on lap 12 that afternoon 41 Labor Days ago.

My final memory of LeeRoy will always be the one of the lean fellow in the immaculate white driving uniform holding the baby as he smiled a Pepsodent ad worthy smile beside #90.

That wasn't the only time LeeRoy drove for Junie. Back a coup[le of years ago our RR member, David Bentley posted a photo of LeeRoy with Junie's #91 Ford Modified at Trenton, a team car to Junie's #90 modified driven by Sonny Hutchins.

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
11 years ago
4,073 posts

I think this may be my favorite Lee Roy pic (from Ray Lamm ). 1969 Southern 500. Can only imagine what was said in that moment.

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

What do you suppose LeeRoy thought he'd find when he got the hood pins out at Daytona in 1971?

From HowStuffWorks.com

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

And, of course, we've discussed before LeeRoy's only career outing for Petty Enterprises - in the September 1965 Capital City 300 at Richmond, a race I attended (Richard was drag racing that day/night). The Petty car LeeRoy crashed on the dirt at Richmond had been driven, ironically, to a win on pavement the night before by Richard at Old Dominion Speedway in Manassas, Virginia.

LeeRoy's Richmond luck wasn't good. He only raced one other time at Richmond - in 1969 - for Junior Johnson. The track was now paved and LeeRoy suffered a blown engine.

--
Dennis Andrews
@dennis-andrews
11 years ago
835 posts

Hey Tim, Slot Car Racing was big back then. Seems a lot of "BIG" car drivers raced slot cars too!

This news clipping is from 1964 or '65.

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

Dennis, that is so true about slot car racing being hot at that time.

In the winter of '64 several of my buddies and I got very involved in Richmond. We had three really big slot car centers, each with 3 different track layouts - one in Azalea shopping center near the fairgrounds, one in Westlands shopping center out West Broad Street and one in South Richmond on Belt Boulevard.

I remember wanting to upgrade my controller, but had no money left. At first we had just sports cars, but then they started selling the clear, flexible plastic bodies that you applied decals to from the inside and painted from the inside and we made NASCAR stock cars.

Back several years ago, our RR member Jim Streeter made the post below:

I always had that same dream, but never had the money. Did build a large Slot Car Track in the 60s and operated it at a profit.

--
Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
11 years ago
3,119 posts

Dave, Chase,Dennis, thank you all for what you have added to this post. We have gotten more history out of this 12 car field than NASCAR could conjure up with their best media people. You guys are awesome!

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
11 years ago
4,073 posts

I'll append a re-run link to a blog post about another race on May 1 to this thread. May 1, 1983: Richard Petty wins the Winston 500 at Talladega for the 2nd of only two Cup wins at the track.

http://bench-racing.blogspot.com/2012/05/may-1-this-day-in-petty-hi...

The race is better known for Phil Parson's crazy flip in Johnny Hayes' #66 Skoal Pontiac in only his 2nd career Cup start.

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

Chase, I had a then stand alone Wrangler V.I.P. suite at Talladega between the start/finish line (which was in an unusual position well toward turn 1) and turn 1 - almost across from the pit exit.

We watched with our mouths open as Phil went up in the air almost under our noses. I remember the car burning and Benny stopping. Benny was driving the #55 Johnny Hayes team car to Phil and wound up finishing 2nd to Richard. I wouldn't have given very good odds of Phil being intact, but thankfully he was.

--
Charles Ray Stocks
@charles-ray-stocks
11 years ago
222 posts

the day phil wrecked benny finished 2nd and in his post race comments was the brigtest part of this day is phil parsons is ok

TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
8 years ago
4,073 posts

--
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
7 years ago
4,073 posts

Bump

--