Where is the lost "CBS - 60 MINUTES" Diane Sawyer taped interview of "King" Richard Petty? Destroyed? Located in CBS ARCHIVED PHOTO/ FILM SALT MINE VAULT?

Dennis  Garrett
@dennis-garrett
11 years ago
560 posts

Where is the lost "CBS - 60 MINUTES" Diane Sawyer taped interview of "King" Richard Petty? Destroyed? Located in CBS ARCHIVED PHOTO/ FILM SALT MINE VAULT?
Photo 01. Richard Petty, Diane Sawyer

Photo 02. Richard Petty, Diane Sawyer

Thanks for any informaton or photos posted.
Dennis Garrett
Richmond,Va. USA

updated by @dennis-garrett: 12/05/16 04:00:58PM
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

That's a good question, Dennis. I remember before the piece was aired on CBS' 60 Minutes, Diane switched network affiliations and joined ABC. I don't think CBS showed any of the stuff she had in the can after the switch.

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
11 years ago
3,119 posts

I would love to know this myself. Ok, folks, what do we know?

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

From the Wilmington Star-News on February 6, 1989, as I remembered:

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
11 years ago
3,119 posts

Thank you Dave. So it is, I guess.

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

Thomas K. Craig
@thomas-k-craig
11 years ago
53 posts

You know I was at the 30th anniversary celebration in 1988. And I remember the film crew being there. Of course I didn't know it was CBS filming segments for 60 minutes. Great post I never knew that they had planned to do a segment on "The King".

Dennis  Garrett
@dennis-garrett
6 years ago
560 posts

PETTY FINALLY ON 60 MINUTES
By AL PEARCE ColumnistDaily Press

After a 10-month delay and major editing, CBS-TV plans to broadcast its much-publicized feature on NASCAR star Richard Petty as part of Sunday night's 60 Minutes.
December 15, 1989
The segment originally was scheduled for last February on the Sunday before the Daytona 500. Reporter Diane Sawyer had spent several weeks with Petty and his crew and the network had promoted the feature as the beginning of its Speed Week coverage.
But CBS chose to shelve the story when Sawyer defected to ABC-TV several weeks before the story was scheduled for airing.

There was immediate speculation that the entire piece would be scrapped. Later, talk surfaced that the network would run an edited version.

Finally, executives decided to reshoot much of the story. They dispatched Harry Reasoner to Darlington to spend Labor Day weekend with Petty and his team.

The revised piece will include footage of Petty racing, spending time at home and in the shop, with fans and on the road. It also will examine how large corporations now use motorsports for marketing and advertising.

60 Minutes will air Sunday night at 7:00 on WTKR, Channel 3. It will be broadcast in its entirety, even if the pro football doubleheader runs long.
http://www.dailypress.com/news/dp-xpm-19891215-1989-12-15-8912140283-story.html