Racing History Minute/1966 Motor Trend 500/Riverside Raceway

Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
10 years ago
3,119 posts

On January 23, 1966, there were 73,331 fans sitting in the stands and infield at Riverside International Raceway for just over 5 hours watching Dan Gurney absolutely dominate the race and Curtis Turner provide some of the excitement missing with Gurney's clear dominance.

David Pearson qualified a Cotton Owens 1965 Dodge on the pole with a speed of 106.078 mph. Dan Gurney in the Wood Brothers Ford would start second, Curtis Turner in another Wood Brothers Ford third, Marvin Panch in yet another Wood Brothers entry fourth. Fifth place starter Don White would roll off in a Ray Nichels Dodge.

David Pearson led the first nine laps before Gurney showed the power and handling of the Wood Brothers car to take over the number one slot. Gurney led through lap 37 before Curtis Turner showed the secondWood Brothers car to be competitive and he took over until lap 55 before Gurney slipped by to lead another lap. Gurney lost the lead to Turner again on lap 66 but regained it on lap 73. On lap 83, David Pearson led a lap before Gurney moved back in front where he would stay until lap 185 and the checkered flag.

Curtis Turner provided the thrills for the fans as he was battling with Pearson and got bumped into the fence bending the fender onto the tire. He pitted, had the fender pulled out and set out in hot pursuit of Pearson and/or the lead, whichever came first. However, several laps later, Turner spun and backed the Ford into the wall, rupturing the gas tank. NASCAR threw the black flag as Turner tried to continue so back to the pits he went. The Wood Brothers patched the tank and Turner was once more in the race to win. He would, after all those problems, finish in fourth place, only two laps behind the winner.

Junior Johnson had entered two Fords, one driven by Bobby Isaac, the other by A. J. Foyt. A.J. lost the transmission in his Ford on lap 45 and was out, only to be followed by Isaac ten laps later when the head gasket blew on his Ford. Cale Yarborough lost a transmission on lap 103 and Richard Petty lost an engine on lap 105.

After the race, Gurney had high praise for the Wood Brothers crew. Gurney had made 6 pit stops during the race with a total time of 2 minutes flat for the entire 6 stops. Second place finisher, Pearson, had made 7 stops and his Cotton Owens crew took 3 minutes and 51 seconds, clearly giving Gurney the edge in the pits. Gurney was able to finish the race at an average speed of 97.952 mph.

Finishing Order:

1. Dan Gurney, Wood Brothers Ford, winning $18,445.00

2. David Pearson, Cotton Owens Dodge, winning $8,395.00 (1 minute 10 secs back)

3. Paul Goldsmith, Ray Nichels Plymouth, winning $5,055.00 (2 laps down)

4. Curtis Turner, Wood Brothers Ford, winning $3,440.00 (2 laps down)

5. Dick Hutcherson, Holman-Moody Ford, winning $2,120.00 (3 laps down)

6. Jim Hurtibise

7. Billy Foster

8. Ned Jarrett

9. Norm Nelson

10. Ron Hornaday

11. Jerry Grant

12. Bobby Allison

13. John Steele

14. Don White

15. Don Walker

16. Mario Andretti

17. Walt Price

18. J.D. Putney

19 Bob Derrington

20. Jerry Oliver

21. James Hylton

22. Jack McCoy

23. Carl Cardey

24. Clem Proctor

25. Richard Petty

26. Cale Yarborough

27. Cliff Garner

28. Dick Gulstrand

29. Bobby Isaac

30. Marvin Panch

31. A. J. Foyt

32. Eddie Gray

33. Carl Joiner

34. Tiny Lund

35. Skip Hudson

36. Scotty Cain

37. Bruce Worrell

38. Jim Cook

39. Clyde Pickett

40. Gene Black

41. Dave James

42. Joe Clark

43. Arley Scranton

44. Charles Powell

PERSONAL NOTE: Recalling those days when I was such a fan of Richard Petty and the Plymouths, I was sick and tired of Dan Gurney winning all the Riverside races. The event we discuss today was Gurney's TENTH NASCAR start and his FOURTH NASCAR win. Pretty good average. I am very happy that I learned to appreciate each and every competitor who helped to build this sport. Everytime I am able to be around folks like Bobby Allison and his brother Donnie, both of whom I strongly disliked back in my younger days, I am pleased to be included in programs with them. I have learned that both those guys are really very nice guys and it is a pleasure to be around them. I feel the same way about Gurney today. True, he "cherry picked" the Riverside event as he was really good on that track, but that certainly should not distract from his overall accomplishments. So, as they say, "live and learn". I'm glad I have been capable of that.

Honor the past, embrace the present, dream for the future.

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

updated by @tim-leeming: 12/05/16 04:00:58PM
Andy DeNardi
@andy-denardi
10 years ago
365 posts
With all of Chevrolet's many NASCAR championships, it's easy to forget how they put America on the motorsports map. Beginning with all of those Model T speedsters and flathead modifieds.But it was the Sixties where they worked their magic. For many years, nearly every Formula 1 motor was a Ford-Cosworth. They pushed aside Offenhauser to dominate Indycar racing. Ferrari had won nine of eighteen LeMans 24Hours, including six in a row from 1960-1965. Ford crushed the competition in the next four races and and Ferrari has never won again.Dan Gurney's skill at Riverside demonstrates a large part of how they accomplished so much. It involved mixing technologies and series and applying the lessons learned in each. Gurney (and Foyt and Parnelli) drove for them in Indycar, Trans-Am, LeMans, NASCAR and Formula One. The Wood Brothers' pit crew helped Jim Clark win the Indy 500. Bud Moore won the Trans-Am championship. Ford used the same tricks to make their Cosworth dominant in F1 and Indycar for more than twenty years.If we include Chevrolet's domination of Can-Am racing, then for a while, America was the most powerful force in motorsports. And it was because of guys like Gurney running every kind of car they were offered. It sucks that Dan Gurney won five of the first six January Riverside races in a Ford. And that Parnelli won the only other one (in a Ford) leading up to 1969. But what they learned and taught was probably the reason that Richard Petty won there during his first Ford season. And what he learned there is probably why he was the one to break the eight race Ford streak that Ford had at the track.It's a shame that Ford seems to be in last place among NASCAR manufacturers these days, but what's worse is that we don't the intermingling of drivers and teams that we used to have. Americans care less and less about auto racing, and our biggest sports network doesn't want anything to do with it. In the meantime, auto racing is just behind soccer in every other part of the world. The Germans are on top now, with the Japanese coming up fast behind. America needs to start building things again instead of blowing things up.
Charles Ray Stocks
@charles-ray-stocks
10 years ago
222 posts

hey tim youve done it again with another great minute you are the man

TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
10 years ago
4,073 posts

Riverside had a pre-race celebration parade featuring some B or even C list celebs. Several were from the sitcom The Munsters.

Included in the parade was the "Dragula" car raced by Grandpa and pushed by Herman Munster.

--
Schaefer: It's not just for racing anymore.

updated by @tmc-chase: 02/05/17 03:01:23PM
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
10 years ago
4,073 posts

Five minutes of race highlights. Lots of rooster tailing through the California dust!

--
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
10 years ago
4,073 posts

Race report from Charleston's News And Courier .

Gurney's four-peat was also the lead headline in National Speed Sport News. (HT to Russ Thompson for the issue cover.)

--

updated by @tmc-chase: 01/23/17 09:40:15AM
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
10 years ago
4,073 posts

A fantastic shot of Gurney in the Wood Brothers' 121 Mercury. Neither could do anything wrong it seemed at Riverside in that era.

And the Henry Ford Arte House again has a great on-line collection of photos - almost 400! - from this race. A few are included below.

Jim Hurtubise

King Richard

A neat shot of Gurney

Jerry Grant

1966 rookie James Hylton

David Pearson enjoying the spoils of his top qualifying effort in Cotton Owens' Dodge

Canadian Billy Foster in his one and only NASCAR GN start

A.J. Foyt

Curtis Turner

--

updated by @tmc-chase: 01/23/17 09:41:06AM
Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
10 years ago
3,119 posts

Thank you Charles Ray! I appreciate your support.

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
10 years ago
3,119 posts

Right on Andy!! Great points and a great edition to the Minute. Thanks.

--

Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
10 years ago
3,119 posts

Great work Chase!

--

TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
9 years ago
4,073 posts

Gurney not only finished first in the race - but he also was the first to submit an entry blank for the race. The submission by Gurney and the Wood Brothers was an indication Ford Motor Company may indeed field factory-backed car in NASCAR in 1966. As it turns out of course, that wasn't quite the way things played out.

More in this RR post from December 28, 2013:

http://racersreunion.com/community/forum/stock-car-racing-history/29681/december-28-racing-notes

--

updated by @tmc-chase: 02/05/17 03:04:49PM
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
9 years ago
4,073 posts

Race program

A general admission ticket stub

Curtis Turner

Cale Yarborough

Skip Hudson - in his 4th of a brief 4-race GN career. All 4 starts were at Riverside from 1963-1966.

--

updated by @tmc-chase: 01/23/17 09:41:39AM
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
9 years ago
9,137 posts

The more we recycle Tim's original History Minutes and add to them, the better they are... and they were pretty darned good the first time around!

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
Blane Moon
@blane-moon
9 years ago
113 posts

That 5 minutes of racing action is better than any 4 hours of Nascar in 2014!

TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
7 years ago
4,073 posts

Bump

--