Whatever happened to Jocko Flocko

Eric Cardona
@eric-cardona
9 years ago
196 posts

The last thing I heard about him was Tim had to kick him out of his car after he went bonkers at Raleigh.

What ever happened to him?

updated by @eric-cardona: 12/05/16 04:00:58PM
Jim Streeter
@jim-streeter
9 years ago
242 posts

The white-faced capuchin, also known as the white-headed capuchin or the white-throated capuchin, typically lives between 15 and 20 years in the wild, where it lives in troops of about 20 monkeys. In captivity, the monkey has been known to live for more than 50 years.

Most estimates of monkeys' lifespans are based on primates in captivity, since data for animals living in the wild is more difficult to gather.

He has been dead for some time.

While he was in the car at Raleigh Speedway he vomited all inside.

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
9 years ago
9,137 posts

I'm thinking one of Jocko's descendents may be living in Daytona and advising Brian France.

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
9 years ago
3,259 posts

I had the pleasure to be parked next to that monkeys owners car. this was back in the early 50s and best as I can relate to it was the track in NewEllingtonSC. I had been parked as usual on top of thewrecker that dad towed with. That monkey was on a long leash and he could get out on top of that car he was tethered to. He did fuss because I had food over on my side and he tried to jump over but about all I can remember of that monkey because man that race was dusty. I remember that Roz Howard was there because when dad and Bob took the cars out of town very far Roz brought his car too. Another car I remember there was Joe Riddle. That was real fun to me because it was like the same bunch that was at Bobs transmission shop on Broadway in Macon Ga

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
9 years ago
9,137 posts

A believable story is that when Jocko got socked by the rock while playing with the little tire door in the floor, he never fully recovered and had to be put to sleep. Tim didn't have the heart to tell that to children, so instead, with tongue in cheek, he patiently explained many times over than he had to let Jocko go because he couldn't sign autographs. Several of our members correspond with Tim's widow, Frances Flock. Perhaps they could ask her directly for us.

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
9 years ago
9,137 posts

That is EXACTLY the story told by Frances Flock to the author of a 2013 article in OUR STATE Magazine:

http://www.ourstate.com/jocko-flocko-nascar-monkey/

--
Dennis  Garrett
@dennis-garrett
9 years ago
560 posts

HERE'S EXCELLENT PHOTO RACE BOOK ON THE HISTORY OF FLOCK RACING FAMILY: .

TIM FLOCK, RACE DRIVER BY LARRY FIELDEN

PUBLISH IN 1991 BY GALFIELD PRESS, PINEHURST,NC 28374

Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
9 years ago
3,119 posts

Dennis, thanks for such a great addition to this post. Yes, Frances Flock has repeated the story of how Jocko was "fired" because he couldn't sign autographs. Just a little caveat to that statement is that you can hear those words directly from the mouth of Tim Flock in the NASCAR Hall of Fame in a recording on the History Floor of the HOF.

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

Dennis  Garrett
@dennis-garrett
9 years ago
560 posts

TIM,
SOMEWHERE ON THE INTERNET PHOTO/ YouTube Video SECTION IS AN LOST 1950'S PHOTO / video OF RACE DRIVER AND HIS MONKEY BESIDE HIS RACECAR.
IT'S NOT THE JOCKO FLOCKO MONKEY.
IT'S SOME OTHER RACE DRIVER'S MONKEY.
DIDN'T SEE ANY RACE HISTORY WITH THE LOST PHOTO.
I HAD SEEN IT, BUT LOST IT'S WEB ADDRESS LOCATION.
HOPE SOMEONE CAN FIND IT AND SHARED IT ON THIS POST.

Thanks for any information or photos posted.
Dennis Garrett
Richmond,Va.USA

updated by @dennis-garrett: 03/18/18 08:03:00PM
Dennis  Garrett
@dennis-garrett
6 years ago
560 posts

[quote="Dennis Garrett"]

TIM,
SOMEWHERE ON THE INTERNET PHOTO/ YouTube Video SECTION IS AN LOST 1950'S PHOTO / video OF RACE DRIVER AND HIS MONKEY BESIDE HIS RACECAR.
IT'S NOT THE JOCKO FLOCKO MONKEY.
IT'S SOME OTHER RACE DRIVER'S MONKEY.
DIDN'T SEE ANY RACE HISTORY WITH THE LOST PHOTO.
I HAD SEEN IT, BUT LOST IT'S WEB ADDRESS LOCATION.
HOPE SOMEONE CAN FIND IT AND SHARED IT ON THIS POST.

Thanks for any information or photos posted.
Dennis Garrett
Richmond,Va.USA

[/quote] I found the above YouTube Video of about 2 seconds long :

NASCAR: Vintage Daytona Beach Racing

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=VQ7_hEAo2Ss

At film frame # 0:30 noticed an driver (not driver Tim Flock) with Rhesus monkey (Jocko Focko relative) sitting on driver's shoulder being petted? Wonder if this Rhesus monkey was another co-driver like Tim Flock's co-driver Jocko Flocko? What year film frame # 0:30, did this Daytona Beach road race took place?

Note: at bottom of video under Comments by Dennis Garrett

NASCAR: Vintage Daytona Beach Racing
Click on # 0:30 in blue to get repeat of monkey video clip.

Dennis Garrett

Richmond, Va. USA

updated by @dennis-garrett: 04/21/18 06:07:11AM