Talladega Trivia

Dennis Andrews
@dennis-andrews
13 years ago
835 posts

The first lap at the new Alabama International Motor Speedway was taken on Aug. 6th, 1969. It marked the opening of the new super speedway for tire testing.

Who made the first lap in a Grand National stock car?

Hint: it was a Ford Talladega Torino.

updated by @dennis-andrews: 08/17/18 01:21:14PM
Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
13 years ago
3,119 posts
My guess is it was Wayne Andrews. How close am I?

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

Dennis Andrews
@dennis-andrews
13 years ago
835 posts
Sorry Tim, The GT cars didn't get there until the end of the month and were not invited to tire test.
Dennis Andrews
@dennis-andrews
13 years ago
835 posts
Sorry Robbie but that's not the report I saw, Another hint, This fellow was well known in racing for more than one thing.
Dennis Andrews
@dennis-andrews
13 years ago
835 posts
You are getting close Robbie.
S.T.A.R.S. Radio
@stars-radio
13 years ago
514 posts
Pearson?
Dennis Andrews
@dennis-andrews
13 years ago
835 posts
Sorry guys, not Benny or Pearson. Robbie, you were closer before.
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
13 years ago
9,137 posts

We have eliminated Richard P, Donnie A, LeeRoy, David P as being the driver... correct?

Is the driver in this group:

Tiny Lund?

Hoss Ellington?

John Sears?

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
Dennis Andrews
@dennis-andrews
13 years ago
835 posts
That's right Jim! According to the Aug. 15, 1969 NASCAR Newsletter Junior Johnson's chief mechanic Herb Nab was warming up the #98 Ford Talladega for LeeRoy. Observors estimated Nab's speed in the new trioval as "pretty slow".
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
13 years ago
9,137 posts
That was good one that I wouldn't have guessed in a million years.

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
8 years ago
4,073 posts

--
Schaefer: It's not just for racing anymore.
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
8 years ago
4,073 posts

Donnie Allison had apparently planned to be the first one on the track as an Alabama driver. Those plans were scuttled when the Dixie 500 was postponed by rain and Allison's Banjo Matthews Ford was impounded along with other cars in Atlanta.

From August 5 Gadsden Times. Click to open larger version in new tab.

--
Schaefer: It's not just for racing anymore.

updated by @tmc-chase: 08/04/17 11:23:33AM
Blane Moon
@blane-moon
8 years ago
113 posts

I did a lap before Herb Nab, it was in the back of a Dodge station wagon. Before the track officially open, the speedway would charge .50 for a tour around the track. To this day I still remember riding on those massive high banks. What a ride for a 6 year old!

Dennis Andrews
@dennis-andrews
8 years ago
835 posts

That is cool Blane. I still remember the first time I saw those towering banks. It was in 1970 and when we came up out of the tunnel I looked back, and up, to see a group of 8 to 10 cars. Mostly Superbirds and Daytonas in the middle of turns 3 and 4.