Sad news: death of Johnny Hayes

TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
13 years ago
4,073 posts

Saw a tweet from Steve Waid tonight about the passing of former car owner and US Tobacco Company rep, Johnny Hayes. Then found this article:

[ Former NASCAR team owner Johnny Hayes dies in accident ]

--
Schaefer: It's not just for racing anymore.

updated by @tmc-chase: 05/18/17 07:56:28AM
Slick
@slick
13 years ago
36 posts

Very sad news. He helped many a racer along the way that many don't know about. We were among those touched by his generosity. Prayers and Blessings to the family.

ray lamm
@ray-lamm
13 years ago
214 posts

it is sad to hear about johnny.i got meet johnny a great person.my payer are to his family at this time.

Dennis  Garrett
@dennis-garrett
13 years ago
560 posts

Denver,NC News Newspaper Saturday, December 24, 2011
http://www.denverncnews.com/?p=4216

Former NASCAR team owner Johnny Hayes dies in accident

Former NASCAR team owner and sponsor Johnny Hayes died in a single-vehicle accident Wednesday afternoon on Burton Lane in Denver, NC.

Hayes, who owns a house on Webbs Chapel Church Road not far from the wreck scene, apparently lost control of his vehicle about 1:15 p.m., hit some trees and then was pinned inside until Denver firefighters were able to extricate him. It is believed the accident was the result of a medical problem.

Hayes, 68, also has a home in Rockbridge Baths, Virginia.

Hayes owned the Skoal bandit race team in the 1980s whose primary drivers were Phil and Benny Parsons and Harry Gant.

Hayes later was a spokesman for Skoal and was involved in the US Tobacco racing team for many years where he was vice president of motorsports. He was a member of the NC Auto Racing Hall of Fame in Mooresville, NC.

A childhood friend of former Charlotte Motor Speedway president Humpy Wheeler, he once told a reporter that he used to sell tickets, drive a water truck and help at a dirt track owned by Wheeler in Gastonia, NC.

Hayes became more involved in racing in the late 1970s after a successful career in business, and although known as happy, go-lucky jokester at the track, he was a down-to-earth man who encouraged his crew to attend church before races and to not drink excessively at any time.

Among his survivors are his wife, Elizabeth Ann; a daughter, Kristen; two sons, Scott and Zach; his mother, Corrie of Denver; and a brother, Don M. Hayes of Dalton, Ga.

His father, Tony, died in 2002.

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
13 years ago
9,137 posts

This is some of the saddest news I've seen in a while. Johnny was one of the funniest folks you'd ever want to be around. Johnny made a bunch of money selling medical equipment - he always claimed to be an "enema expert!" Even before he ownedhis teams, Johnny was running the Skoal sponsorshipprogram for U.S. Tobacco and its president Lou Bantle. Johnny surrounded the U.S. Tobacco program with a bunch of really good folks, including Jay Wells, the "Skoal Troll," Brian Buchauer and Patti Jarrett Makar, Ned Jarrett's daughter. Johnny was a very good organizer. Ken Squier also used Johnny to host a series of tv specials highlighting prominent folks in NASCAR during the 1998 NASCAR 50 year anniversary season. There was never a reason not to laugh when Johnny was in the room. R.I.P.

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
13 years ago
9,137 posts

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
13 years ago
9,137 posts

Eddie Thrap and Anne Fornoro on the AJ Foyt Copenhagen program were two other very talented folks Johnny recruited to the US Tobacco sponsorship program.

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
13 years ago
9,137 posts

Yep, Johnny touched a lot of folks. Johnny sent "The Snake" and show vehicle to the January Miller Motorsports Expo in Pennsylvania several times. It always stood out in the midst of all us roundy round folks and was a great addition.

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
13 years ago
9,137 posts

Johnny also spearheaded the Copenhagen / Skoal All Pro Team that recognized first, second and third team pit crew position all stars as voted on by pit crew members on all the Cup teams each year. The pit crew guys really appreciated this award and Copenhagen/Skoal/Detroit Gasket/Crown Petroleum held a very niceawards banquet every January at the University Hilton near Charlotte Motor Speedway. Pit crews valued this award because it was voted on by their peers. Johnny also served on the Board of Directors of the NC Auto Racing Hall of Fame in Mooresville.

--
Richard Guido
@richard-guido
13 years ago
238 posts

God Bless

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
13 years ago
9,137 posts

Here's a link to a cool 1994 newspaper article by David Green highlighting how Harold Stott, Bud Moore Engineering,at age 56 was voted by his fellow pit crew competitors as the best rear tire changer for the 3rd consecutive year. This is the kind of recognition Johnny Hayes brought to the pit crew guys.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1876&dat=19940117&id=WS0fAAAAIBAJ&sjid=Ls8EAAAAIBAJ&pg=6607,988420

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
13 years ago
9,137 posts

In Memory of
John Martin Hayes
November 5, 1942 - December 21, 2011
Obituary

John Martin Hayes "Johnny" Johnny Hayes, of Belmont, NC and Denver, NC died on December 21, 2011 as a result of injuries sustained in an automobile accident. Born in Gastonia, NC on November 5, 1942, he was the son of Corrie and the late Emerald "Tony" Hayes. Johnny grew up in Belmont, NC where he attended Belmont High School. He was a graduate of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and earned his Masters in International Commerce from the Thunderbird School of Global Management in Phoenix, AZ. As an avid golfer and skier, Johnny spent the years after college traveling the western United States and Europe in search of the next good powder run. Johnny married Elizabeth Ann Hoak (his "Annie") on November 28, 1969 in Denver, NC.
He spent the early part of his career working internationally in the field of Medical Sales. Through his lifelong friend Humpy Wheeler, Johnny then let his personal passions lead him into the business of auto racing. Johnny was a NASCAR team owner before becoming Executive Vice President of Motorsports for US Tobacco Company, a position he held for 15 years. Johnny furthered his passion for racing as a television commentator on Turner Network Television and ESPN and hosted his own show on SPEED Television.
Upon retirement Johnny and Ann poured their love of history and art into restoring their Rockbridge Baths, VA residence. Johnny's generosity was exceeded only by his love for his family and dear wife Annie. He never met a stranger, never forgot where he came from, and was always a champion of the underdog.
Johnny is survived by his his wife Ann; children Scott Hayes of Eden Prairie, MN, Zackery Hayes of Davidson, NC, Kristin Hayes Morris of Charlotte, NC; brother and sister-in-law Don and Mary Ann Hayes of Dalton, GA; grandchildren Zachary And Sophia Hayes, Ella and Wyatt Hayes, and Hayes Morris; and many extended family members.

A celebration of Johnny's life will take place at Johnny and Ann's residence in Denver, NC in May of 2012. Details of the event will be announced at a later date.
The family asks that memorial contributions be made to the local Salvation Army of your choosing.
Condolences may be expressed at www.harryandbryantfuneralhome.com .

--
David Daniels
@david-daniels
12 years ago
16 posts

I was aware of Johnny's passing back in late December as I'm now finally commenting on it.I only knew of John through the media outlets.He really came off as a decent human being in his demeanor.After enough interviews by him you feel like you know him.The way he passed away was tragic!He gave alot to racing and its people,that I know of.I just watched an interview with Dale Inman,that I have recorded.John really brought out the best in Dale.May Johnny RIP!

Cody Dinsmore
@cody-dinsmore
12 years ago
589 posts

Well Dang...How did I not here about this? Sorry to hear of this....even if it is a little late