End of Top-35 Rule - Pemberton Says Could Happen for 2013 (HOOOOOORAY!)

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

Jul 26, 7:00 PM EDT

NASCAR mulls eliminating top 35 qualifying rule

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) -- NASCAR qualifying could have a very different look next season.

Series officials are mulling the elimination of the top-35 rule to put the focus back on speed.

Vice president of competition Robin Pemberton said Thursday he's already discussed the possibility with some teams and that fans want to see the fastest cars start the race. Since 2005, the top 35 in points have been guaranteed provisional starting spots at the next race, which has sometimes eliminated faster cars from starting the race.

All that could change in 2013.

"The top 35 was a good rule when we had impound races and that stuff," Pemberton said. "But I think there's a lot of folks that like that speed gets you in."

The rule was designed to make sure full-time teams with big-name drivers and big sponsors did not miss the race.

But with series officials looking for ways to reinvigorate the fan base and end the decline in attendance, some believe that relying on pure speed rather than points could be part of the solution.

Still, Pemberton believes, there is precedent to keep some provisional starting spots.

"There's always a place for provisionals and there always has been for someone who's had a bad day," he said. "But you don't know where that will fall."

Another rule change could open the door to more testing.

Pemberton said teams are better positioned to test now than they were several years ago and they've been testing more often anyway, making it difficult for series officials to enforce the current rules.

The series eliminated testing at any tracks that hosted a NASCAR national event in 2008 to save money. But some teams maneuvered around the rule by testing at tracks that did not host series races.

What they're looking for now is a way to re-introduce sanctioned testing at a lower cost.

"They've been in places that I didn't know existed," he said, drawing laughter. "So it's up to them not to test at non-sanctioned tracks. It's something that is really to do, and teams need to test sometimes."

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"

updated by @dave-fulton: 12/05/16 04:04:08PM
Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
12 years ago
3,259 posts

the start and park boys will love this

Carol Bell
@carol-bell
12 years ago
36 posts

I'm not sure what Mr. Pemberton wants is going to be relevant. From Dave's column entitled, "France Committed in London", I offer the following:

"As CEO, France said what he wants supersedes what any purists on his staff might prefer. "I overrule them, quite frankly, because I have to," France said."

And there you have it.

Carol Bell
@carol-bell
12 years ago
36 posts

I agree totally, PK. BZ is a legend in his mind only. That's the only explanation for some of his comments.

Sandeep Banerjee
@sandeep-banerjee
12 years ago
360 posts

I am reminded of the computer command 'Ctrl + Z'. :D

Jeff Gilder
@jeff-gilder
12 years ago
1,783 posts

That comment from him...in a nutshell (in my opinion) defines the cause of the problems they face.

--
Founder/Creator - RacersReunion®
RANDY GILBERT
@randy-gilbert
12 years ago
17 posts

PEMBERTON LEFT AN EXCAPE CLAUSE WHEN HE SAID "There's always a place for provisionals and there always has been for someone who's had a bad day," he said. "But you don't know where that will fall."...HE MEANS THE MONEY GUYS....I FOR ONE WOULD THINK IT WAS FUNNY TO WATCH SOMEONE LIKE HARVICK HAVE A BAD DAY AND HAVE TO GO HOME WHILE THE LITTLE COPE GIRLS IN THE #24 MADE THE RACE...MAYBE HARVICK COULD CARRY HER HELMET FOR HER........BUT IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN...BIG MONEY WILL STILL NOT HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT MAKING THE SHOW BECAUSE PEMBERTON LEFT A WAY TO STILL BUMP OUT THE LITTLE GUY..UNLESS HE MAKES THE FIELD 44 OR 45 CARS...THEN I'D BE OK WITH IT..

Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
12 years ago
3,259 posts

Dont know about that now, a few girls in Daytona think of him another way in there mind only I guess

Robert Staley
@robert-staley
12 years ago
86 posts

the real thing that would invigorate the fan base would be time trial earlier in the day, take the top ten times and then let everyone else run two 20-lap heats to determine the rest of the field. i'd bust my rear to get to martinsville to see that.

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

Sounds like the format for the old Dogwood 500 & Cardinal 500 Modified & Late Model Sportsman doubleheaders at Martinsville, when the stands were packed and busloads of fans came down from Canada, Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont. Some of those qualifying races were absolutely awesome.

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
Robert Staley
@robert-staley
12 years ago
86 posts

there you go. i'm sure the drivers and teams would complain, but it seems the fans don't care about them anymore so let them move aside and let's get some folks who want to put on a race and not an exibition.

Robert Staley
@robert-staley
12 years ago
86 posts

oh yeah, and make those qualifying races pay points toward the season title.can you imagine the stir that would cause.?