American Ethanol Project Future?

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

Just wondering.

Every night my television newscast brings a new story of catastrophic corn crop failure. Farmers will be forced to decide whether to sell corn for ethanol or feed their meager supply to their farm animals.

Price of all foodstuffs containing corn predicted to rise sky high because of the corn crop failure.

Where does this leave NASCAR's American Ethanol initiative and the use of ethanol in general?

I'm old enough to remember the rush to produce ethanol in 1974 during the big gas shortage.

It was promoted as gasohol and the pumps had pictures of corn ears on them.

Many of those who rushed to produce ethanol then later went belly up as the gas supply improved and ethanol became unprofitable. One of our local racing "personalities" in the Richmond area, Clellan Jarrell and his family operated Jarrell's Truck Plaza on Interstate 95 just north of Richmond, one of the largest truck stops in the country. Their 1970s venture into ethanol and bio-fuel production about put them out of business.

In 1985, Virginia had 15 alcohol fuel plants producing 50 million gallons of ethanol per year.

By 1992 they were all bankrupt.

What happens this time when farmers are forced to feed their stock and food producers need a corn supply?

Thoughts?

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"

updated by @dave-fulton: 12/05/16 04:02:07PM
Dennis Andrews
@dennis-andrews
12 years ago
835 posts

It should bomb again. Just like last time it was tax payer money that got it going. The government never learns from its mistakes, it says we are smarter now and doubles down. Normally economics would eventually get things back to normal over time but things are not normal anymore. The free enterprise system has taken a direct hit and is staggering. Not political, just fact. The USA is at a crossroad, which path will she take?

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

--
paul crawford
@paul-crawford
12 years ago
64 posts

id prefer they just stop adding that crap to my gas.. wreaked havoc this yr on both my antique motorcycles carbs.. must have got some gas from the bottom of the tank.. strangely i found a local station that sells non e10 fuel.... strangely its 10 cents cheaper per gallon...guess where i go now...

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

BREAKING NEWS:

White House offers drought relief, feels heat to waive ethanol mandate
By John W. Schoen, NBC News

Monday August 13, 2012

President Barack Obama announced emergency measures Monday to ease the impact of the worst drought in half a century, but stopped short of waiving the governments requirement that a large portion of the now-shriveled corn crop be diverted to make ethanol.

Obama announced that the Department of Agriculture will buy up to $170 million of pork, lamb, chicken and catfish to help support farmers suffering from the drought. The food purchases will go toward "food nutrition assistance" programs, like food banks.

During a campaign stop in Iowa, a key battleground state, Obama blamed Republican vice presidential candidate Paul Ryan for blocking a farm bill that could help voters in Iowa and elsewhere cope with a crippling drought as both candidates campaigned in the important Midwestern battleground state.

"If you happen to see Congressman Ryan, tell him how important this farm bill is to Iowa and our rural communities," Obama said in Council Bluffs, Iowa.

On Friday, the government confirmed what cattle ranchers, pork farmers and poultry producers have feared as this summers deepening drought has destroyed much of this year's corn crop.

President Obama addresses a grassroots event in Iowa and discusses the impact of the recent drought on farmers. He encourages Congress to pass the Farm Bill and make it into law.

As the lowest yields in nearly two decades squeeze feed supplies, livestock producers are asking the government to waive a five-year-old requirement that gasoline sold in the U.S. contain roughly 9 percent ethanol. Because most ethanol in the U.S. is made from corn, roughly 40 percent of the corn crop, in a good year, is purchased by the biofuel industry.

"We do support the American ethanol industry," said Kristina Butts, executive director of legislative affairs at the National Cattlemen's Beef Association. "All we are asking for is that competition for that bushel of corn be on a level playing field."

The government, she said, "is picking the ethanol industry to be the winner to get that bushel of corn."

With the rest of the worlds food chain already strained, the competition for each kernel of corn is going global. Last week, a United Nations food index jumped 6 percent, and the UN's Food and Agriculture Organization warned against the kind of export bans, tariffs and buying binges that worsened the price surge four years ago. The U.N. food agency stepped up the pressure on the U.S. to ease its biofuel policies.

Leaders of the Group of 20 nations are considering whether to seek emergency measures to respond to soaring grain prices.

The White House faces conflicting demands for sharply limited supplies of corn.

One-third of House members have signed a letter urging EPA Administrator Lisa Jackson to relax ethanol production targets in light of corn supply concerns and spiking prices. The governors of Maryland and Delaware, two poultry-producing states, have also called on the White House to ease the renewable fuels mandate.

Ethanol producers, meanwhile, argue that they're being unfairly blamed for the supply pressures faced by livestock producers. They argue that critics overstate the industrys impact on supplies of feed because about a third of the corn that's processed to make ethanol is then converted into a form of animal feed called dried distillers grain.

Ethanol production had already begun slowing before this summers drought, as fuel suppliers have approached the limit of demand for the biofuel. Though higher concentrations are sold in a few stations, most gasoline formulated with ethanol is limited to a 10 percent blend.

Cutting production, though, could produce a bigger political backlash from another key contingency in an election year: American drivers. Since other additives have been phased out over the past five years, gasoline refiners have overhauled their plants and rely on ethanol to produce high-octane fuel that burns cleanly enough to meet air quality standards.

A prolonged interruption in ethanol production could produce a spike in the price of gasoline, according to Tom Kloza, publisher of the Oil Price Information Service.

You cant suddenly go to a business thats manufacturing 9 million barrels a day of gasoline and say Were going to get rid of ethanol, he said. Youd have chaos.

--
Carol Bell
@carol-bell
12 years ago
36 posts

This country has more than enough oil and corn should first and foremost be used as a food supply. Add to that the recent reports that Ethanol may be causing damage to engines, and I think it needs to go back to being a food source. It could really lower the costs of so many everyday items that Americans need.

Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
12 years ago
3,119 posts

From the very beginning of this ethanol mess, I have believed it is another bungled government project. Corn is for food stuff (and moonshine) and should not be wasted as an additive to gasoline. The person who came up with that idea should be made to go without ANY food that includes corn. That would, of course, include all meat that is fed by corn. Ignorance is cured by education. There is no cure for stupid so those folks are put to work in government.

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

Bumpertag
@bumpertag
12 years ago
363 posts

I HATE THIS STUFF. I have had problems with all my lawn equipment and small engines for the last 4 years and at times with my very thristy V8 Nissan Titan. I have been looking for pure gas or a good product to fix all my ethanol issues. Recently I put the same peice of equipment in the shop in December when it wouldn't start, brought it home and used it 1 time and had to take it back to the shop in April when it wouldn't start again. Ethanol sitting in the carb was the problem. Fortunatly I wasn't charged the second time. The shop told me of a product that would removeall the gunk left behind by the sitting ethanol and it has worked for me so far, Mechanic InA Bottle, sold at Home Depot. I use it in everything, trucks, boat, lawn equipment, anything that burns gas, 2 or 4 cycle and I've not had the problems since.

A few weeks ago I found a station 8 miles from home that sells pure gas but it is about .40 more per gallon. I've filled up a few times but at that cost I can't do it all the time. I wish ethanol would be removed from all but a very few stations for those that can't tell the difference and only pure gas put back in it's place. I prefer my corn in my cereal and on the cob, not in my tank.