Chargin' Charlies 429 C.I. Dodge Daytona

Pete Banchoff
@pete-banchoff
14 years ago
279 posts
I've been bothered for years as to why the Ray Nichels Dodge driven by Charlie Glotzbach shows a 429 on the hood when other Dodge and Plymouths show 426. I first noticed it in a racing program in 1970 at Michigan. I've seen this on one or two other Chrysler products around the same time and wonder if anyone can shed some light on it. Is it actually a Hemi or could it be a "Wedge" engine. The photo was uploaded by Ray Lamm.

Thanks.
Pete

updated by @pete-banchoff: 12/05/16 04:00:58PM
Ernest Sutton
@ernest-sutton
14 years ago
181 posts
I'm not sure about the answer to this, but I do know that the 426 was the "hemi"..........one "bad" engine. I suspect that the 429 was the 'wedge" engine, which I recall reading somewhere was a powerful powerplant in its own right. If that's what Glotzbach was running, it was obviously pretty stout as he made some pretty good showings with it.
Jeff Gilder
@jeff-gilder
14 years ago
1,783 posts
You can ask Charlie tonight if you would like. He will be our guest on "Racin The Way It Was".

--
Founder/Creator - RacersReunion®
Pete Banchoff
@pete-banchoff
14 years ago
279 posts
I'm not sure if I can call in, but I'll try. I'd really like to know the story. I'm pretty sure it was a 426 Hemi, but one never know for sure in nascar racing.LOLPete
FallsCity48
@fallscity48
14 years ago
18 posts
Back in that era the maximun cubic inch was 430 for 1969 and 1970 rules.Ford had their Boss 429 engine they were using at the time.Terry Nichels (Ray Nichels' son) said Ray liked to do that just to jab the Ford guys.
Pete Banchoff
@pete-banchoff
14 years ago
279 posts
Hey Tony, thanks for that!! I've been puzzled for 40 years and there are some models of that 99 car that have 429 on the hood. That would catch the attention of the "Ford boys". Thanks again.Pete FallsCity48 said:
Back in that era the maximun cubic inch was 430 for 1969 and 1970 rules.
Ford had their Boss 429 engine they were using at the time.
Terry Nichels (Ray Nichels' son) said Ray liked to do that just to jab the Ford guys.
Pete Banchoff
@pete-banchoff
14 years ago
279 posts
Tony, Jeff asked Charlie about the 429 on his radio show and sure enough it had the 426 hemi under the hood.Pete
FallsCity48
@fallscity48
14 years ago
18 posts
Dangit, I got caught up at the office & missed the show.Sure wanted to hear Charlie.The Factory teams back then were always wanting to get1 up on the rivals !
Richard Guido
@richard-guido
14 years ago
238 posts
At that time Nascar used math based on maximum vehicle weight measured against engine displacement. The engine limit at that time for all engines was a little over 429 C.I.Here is Tom's remark from Randy Ayer's Modeling Forum. He is one of their moderators.The rules allowed a maximum displacement of 429.9, IIRC. Nichels made sure he got every last bit. In those days the cars had to weigh 9.36 lb. per cubic inch and the displacement painted on the hood couldn't be too low or the car could be declared illegal.