Jeremy Clements Suspended For Code of Conduct Violation

S.T.A.R.S. Radio
@stars-radio
11 years ago
514 posts
Jeremy Clements Suspended For Code of Conduct Violation
DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. (Feb. 27, 2013)Jeremy Clements, a driver in the NASCAR Nationwide Series, has been indefinitely suspended from NASCAR for violating the sanctioning bodys Code of Conduct.
On Feb. 23 at Daytona International Speedway, Clements was found to have violated Sections 7-5 (NASCARs Code of Conduct) and 12-1 (actions detrimental to stock car racing).
During the course of an interview, Jeremy Clements made an intolerable and insensitive remark, said Steve ODonnell, NASCAR senior vice president of racing operations. NASCAR has a Code of Conduct thats explicitly spelled out in the 2013 NASCAR Rule Book. We fully expect our entire industry to adhere to that Code.

updated by @stars-radio: 12/05/16 04:00:58PM
Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
11 years ago
3,259 posts
I want to respond to this so bad but it is really a loaded gun waiting to go off
S.T.A.R.S. Radio
@stars-radio
11 years ago
514 posts

OK you asked and I dug around and I have found out from areliablesource the statement is as follows....

"I think she's (Danica) is stuck up and not really that pretty, although I wouldn't turn downher. Both the NASCAR fans and NASCAR have a fixed pole for her. Really don't like that cause she doesn't deserve it but she opened herself up to stuff like this. And for what? Another pole at Daytona lol. Come on, either win or be a another pretty face kissing the winner"

Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
11 years ago
3,119 posts

PattyKay, I regret to tell you I must disagree with you on this one. While I think Jeremy's statement lacked class, I don't find it in violation of that NASCAR rule under the strictest interpretation of the wording of that rule. He spoke what he felt, and I'm always for that. It should be noted, in fairness, that there are thousands of folks out there, if not a million or more, that believe exactly what he said about NASCAR fixing that pole for Danica. And all the argument that she was fast in tests, practice and everywhere else is no argument at all if she was allowed special treatment throughout it all for the publicity value. As I have stated, and am on record so doing, I believe she is good for the sport and the publicity she brings is good all the way around. But it is not beyond NASCAR to work things the way they want. I think to suspend Jeremy for what he said, if S.T.A.R.S.'s quote is verbatim, is outright ignorance on the part of NASCAR. Wasn't there some football player on a Stupid Bowl team spouting off about what he would do to a gay guy in the locker room and all he had to do was read his attorney prepared apology and all was forgiven?

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

S.T.A.R.S. Radio
@stars-radio
11 years ago
514 posts

More to this story coming soon! I am following a lead that will allow more insight into what was said.

Christopher Krul
@christopher-krul
11 years ago
119 posts

Bad choice of wordson his part.NASCAR I think struck down on him because let's face it, Danica is the new face of NASCAR and does not want any hostilities that could scare off potential wonen that perhaps want to race.

Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
11 years ago
3,119 posts

I have no intention of getting into an argument here, or do I wish to strap on pistols and meet on Main Street at High Noon. I am merely saying that I have a right, you have a right, and Jeremy has a right to say whatever he wants to say and then, when better Judgment prevails, to apologize (as did the 49ers player). If we are going to be banned and subjected to punishment when we state our true feelings, then The Legendtorials on Tuesday nights are in big trouble. This will be the end of my comments on this post as obviously there are those much more versed in racing protocol here than am I.

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

Leon Phillips
@leon-phillips
11 years ago
626 posts

What the heck aka hell did he say ?

Leon Phillips
@leon-phillips
11 years ago
626 posts

No Miss Patty it don`t

bill mcpeek
@bill-mcpeek
11 years ago
820 posts

I just heard on ESPN radio that it was a racial slur about drivers in general and no individual driver and wasnt about Danica at all. Heather Tucker, Sports writer for USA Today has an article on the net today explaining who said what and to whom. Maybe now he can take his sensitivity training and we can forget this whole mess. I sure hope so.

Andy DeNardi
@andy-denardi
11 years ago
365 posts

Marty Beckerman is an associate editor for MTV's Guy Code blog, an extension of MTV2's "Guy Code" television series, which takes a humorous look at "the laws of manhood." He was covering last weekend's NASCAR events at the Daytona International Speedway and spoke to several drivers.

"I was there to do a fish-out-of-water story about going to NASCAR and having a wild, crazy weekend. And, we were doing interviews with many of the drivers, and I was on the way to another interview we were looking for [driver] Johanna Long's trailer and the NASCAR publicist called Mr. Clements over and asked him for help finding her," Beckerman said. "He walked us toward where she was, and on the way over, I explained to him that Guy Code is rules for guys, how you treat your friends, how you treat your ladies, things like that. I was there to do a humor piece, so I asked him what would be Guy Code for race car drivers, and he blurted out [a phrase that used the n-word]."

Beckerman said that Clements didn't use the phrase in reference to any specific driver, but was instead illustrating that "if you drive roughly, you'll be treated roughly." He wrote the quote down in his notes (the conversation was not recorded) and, since he was in the presence of a NASCAR publicist, continued to speak with Clements for a few more minutes, before going to interview Long. Then, on Thursday morning, as the story continued to unfold, Clements called him to discuss the quote and let it be known that he regretted making it.

Max Plummer
@max-plummer
11 years ago
89 posts

Nascar has blown this up, like they do most everything they put their hands on...If they would have just took this kid aside and told him to slow down some with the mouth this would be no issue..They have bigger fish to fry ,,,like keeping car's out of the stands for starters.

Max Plummer
@max-plummer
11 years ago
89 posts

Nascar had a special guest last weekend named 50 cent...Mr 50 cent has made a living off the (n) word in his music..If nascar has such high standards then why have a special guest as him..I call this hog wash on them ,,for making this call on Clements..Take away a mans dream for this ,,while at the same time honoring another man for his music using the ( n) word ,,,,,,,give me a break !!! Clements should had rapped to the reporter instead of talking.. Double standards piss me off.. sorry for the rant..

Blane Moon
@blane-moon
11 years ago
113 posts

If Nascar has a "Code of Conduct", why in the wide world of sports would they wanttopromote "50 Cent" being at the Daytona 500? Read some of the lyrics to his "music", and compare itto what Clemants said! Double standard?

Bobby Williamson
@bobby-williamson
11 years ago
907 posts
Well said, Max
Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
11 years ago
3,259 posts

Was $.50 right ? Not to mention the fact that he was trying to hit on the Fox reporter. She dodge the bullet when he tried to kiss her-- she didnt want it ,so where was HER back up on denying him. JUST saying

david earnhardt
@david-earnhardt
11 years ago
112 posts

you know freedom of speech is gone - no where can a person speak their mind - everything is pc these days - even on here a person cant have an opinion that differs - what a world we live in - i was telling folks on here last year that nascar was marketing a more circus atmosphere - the racing is taking a backseat - get ready for a more sleazy trashy nascar - just dont speak out about it - where they can hear you anyway- or you will be made example of - jeremy c may have been in the wrong - but this could have been handled differently - small under funded and under powered single car teams are fighting losing battle in nascar now - a nascar rep could have taken and reprimanded him and not went public - this is what ive seen nascar do with other well known drivers who have done the same or similar thing - but you never heard about it because it wasnt public - nascar is in complete control - as a small time driver like jeremy c is finding out - now who is going to cast the first stone .