A Racing History Minute - April 8, 1956

Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
11 years ago
3,119 posts

Many of the younger fans here may not know that, once upon a time, NASCAR had a convertible division. Many of the older fans may have forgotten that, in the 50s, convertibles ran its own circuit. In fact, convertibles ran the spring race at Darlington from 1957 through 1962. I had quite a discussion a few years ago with an individual who did NOT believe Richard Petty drove his first race in a convertible (1958) and won his first race in a convertible (1959), both at The Historic Columbia Speedway. I know, because I was at both those races. So, today fans, we are going convertible racing.

There was, in Fayetteville, NC, a .333 mile track which I'm sure is familiar to Bobby Williamson who does the Ghost Track segment on the Tuesday night radio show, "Racing Through History" right here on RacersReunion. On April 8, 1956, 18 convertibles showed up there for a 50 mile race. That's right, 50 miles. The fact that the race took just over an hour to complete would indicate the fans had time to enjoy watching the topless cars speed around that PAVED track. I was surprised to see that the track was paved in 1956. Unusual for that time period.

Bob Welborn, a very successful driver in the convertible division, started on the pole and led the first 22 laps. Curtis Turner, who had started 8th absolutely sliced through the competition on that small track to take the lead on lap 23. Turner would hold the lead in his Ford until lap 55 when a right front tire blew, sending him into the guard rail and ending his day. Our own Tiger Tom Pistone took over the lead then until his Chevrolet lost the right front tire on lap 121, putting him out. In fact, 8 of the 18 starters experienced either tire or wheel problems which eliminated them from the race. That short, paved track, was eating tires and breaking wheels, but remember, this was 1956 and the tires were what you purchased at your local tire dealer or gas station. No "Goodyear Eagles" in those days.

There were six lead changes between four drivers before Bob Welborn flew past Jim Massey with 17 laps to go to take the win. Massey actually drove the last three laps on a flat tire to finish second.

Top five finishers (only 8 cars finished) were:

1. Bob Welborn, Chevrolet, winning $700.00

2. Jimmy Massey, Chevrolet, winning $525.00

3. Darel Dieringer, Buick, winning $375.00

4. Jimmy Thompson, Mercury, winning $285.00

5. Don Oldenberg, Dodge, winning $250.00

Other finishers of interest were Gene Blair in 7th, Larry Frank in 10th, Tiger Tom Pistone 11th, Joe Weatherly 12th, and Curtis Turner 16th.

I, personally, have always loved convertibles, although I have never owned one. I've had T-tops and sunroofs, but never a convertible. I do want to tell you one personal convertible story.

My Uncle Bobby had a 1959 Dodge Convertible, mint green with a white top and mint green and white interior, back in 1962. His wife, my Aunt Mary Ruth who was more like my older sister than an Aunt, Uncle Bobby and I, attended the local Christmas parade in December, 1962. On the way home we talked about all the "celebrities riding on the convertibles with the tops down on that cold day. As often happened with Aunt Mary Ruth and me, one thing led to another and we decided to go back downtown (there were no malls then so downtown was the Christmas shopping place to be in Columbia) the next Saturday and "play parade". So, the next Saturday, which dawned sunny, but about 25 degrees, we headed downtown. We stopped at the beginning of Main Street, put the top down on that Dodge, and I sat on the convertible boot behind the back seat. We proceeded down Main Street as I waved (in my short sleeve shirt) to all the shoppers. That ride was sixteen blocks long and although I remember it was very cold that day, I also remember having a blast! People were falling all over themselves wondering what was going on but Uncle Bobby, Aunt Mary Ruth and yours truly, were laughing so hard we were warm as could be.

One final note on convertibles for today. I always enjoyed the television show "The Beverly Hill Billies". One thing I truly enjoyed about that show was those always beautiful Mopar convertibles Miss Jane drove. Never saw he with the top up!

Hope you folks don't mind me throwing in my personal comments on this History Minutes, but going back into the vaults of memories, these things just come out.

Thanks for reading.

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

updated by @tim-leeming: 08/08/18 03:35:16PM
Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
11 years ago
3,119 posts

It should be mentioned here that many of the "convertible races" were run with cars that had "bolt on" removable tops. They would race the car at a convenient convertible race, then bolt on a top and run the Grand National Race. Also, it should not be forgotten that the first Daytona 500 in 1959 consisted on the hardtop cars which filled the inside row of the starting line up, and the convertibles which filled the outside row in the starting line. It should also be noted that The King, Richard Petty, was driving a 1957 Oldsmobile convertible in that race which proudly indicated on the door where the driver's name would go, that "Squirrell, Jr." was the driver of that Olds.

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

Jim Streeter
@jim-streeter
11 years ago
242 posts

I was there!

LAVERNE ZACHARY
@laverne-zachary
11 years ago
117 posts

Tim I actually have some film footage from the Fayetteville convertible race which was called Champion Speedway

I believe.

Patsy Thompkins ~ Keisler
@patsy-thompkins-keisler
11 years ago
559 posts

I would love to see that footage. And I bet Dennis Andrews' Daddy, Winding Wayne might remember this as well.

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

Thanks, Tim, for not only refreshing our memories, but adding to them with tales that are new to many of us. My loss that I never saw a convertible event.

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
11 years ago
4,073 posts

A nice 2011 article from NASCAR.com about the convertible series. I'll post text here and under convertible club. And I'll save the article on my computer as ya never know what will/won't be available on NASCAR.com the next time you launch it.

Short-lived Convertible Division left indelible mark

by Mark Aumann, July 24, 2011

http://www.nascar.com/en_us/news-media/articles/2011/07/23/maumann-convertible-division-bwelborn-cturner.html

The debate about the significance of Kyle Busch's 100th NASCAR victory last weekend brought to mind NASCAR's short-lived Convertible Division, the introduction of qualifying races for the Daytona 500, Richard Petty's first win, and another North Carolina driver named Bob Welborn, who won three titles.

By the mid-1950s, NASCAR was successfully running its Grand National, Modified and Sportsman divisions on both sides of the country. But Bill France continued to look at expansion, particularly in the Midwest, and he found it in a series called the Circuit of Champions All Stars, an all-convertible car division.

After hosting one race at North Carolina's Bowman-Gray Stadium in 1955, France purchased the entire series from Midwestern promoter H.E. Redkey in December. France's plan was to run NASCAR-sanctioned convertible races as a companion division to the hardtop Grand Nationals.

It was a smashing success from the start. Fans were fascinated by the idea of being able to see the driver working the steering wheel inside the car, and the Convertible races began to draw attendance -- and fields -- equal to that of the Grand National events the following day.

The top factory teams of the day entered cars for their best drivers, and the list of Convertible race winners included stars like Curtis Turner, Joe Weatherly, Glen Wood, Fireball Roberts, Lee Petty, Marvin Panch, Tim Flock, Paul Goldsmith and a scrawny 22-year-old kid named Richard Petty, who bested a field of 29 at Columbia Speedway in July of 1959 for the first of what would turn out to be a total of 201 NASCAR wins.

The new series debuted on the Daytona Beach and Road course in February of 1956, with Curtis Turner leading 34 of 39 laps in one of Pete DePaolo's factory Fords after pole-sitter and teammate Joe Weatherly broke a water pump. Fans would get used to seeing Turner's name at the top of the leaderboard all season, as he went on to win 22 of the 47 races.

But it was Welborn, a native of Denton, N.C., who took home the championship trophy in each of the first three seasons, thanks to his remarkable consistency. Welborn won nine Cup races in a 13-year period, but his forte turned out to be the ragtops. In 111 starts in NASCAR's Convertible Division, Welborn drove his Chevrolets to 19 wins and 87 top-10s.

While Turner was piling up the victories in '56, he also failed to finish 14 times. Welborn only won three times all season -- at Fayetteville, Hickory and Greensboro -- but he amassed 32 top-five and 39 top-10 finishes, good enough to beat Turner by 836 points.

Darlington Raceway got in on the convertible craze in 1957 with plans to host a 300-mile Convertible race in the spring to compliment the Labor Day Southern 500. Fireball Roberts won the inaugural Rebel 300 in front of 17,000 fans, leading 181 of the 219 laps and lapping the field twice.

While Turner nearly doubled Welborn's win total that season, scoring 11 victories to Welborn's six, Welborn only finished outside of the top 10 seven times in 36 starts. Welborn's closest competition instead turned out to be Weatherly, who won four of the first nine races and had a solid lead in the points until he blew an engine at Martinsville and finished 27th. Weatherly still had a chance to catch Welborn with five races remaining, but consecutive DNFs at Charlotte, North Wilkesboro and Norfolk wrecked any hopes of unseating Welborn.

But with the pullout of factory support midway through the 1957 season, the Convertible Division was the hardest hit. The schedule was pared from 36 to 19 races and fewer teams had the money to run both series. Still, Welborn added eight more wins and a third Convertible title to his resume, earning him a chance to run as teammate to Lee Petty in 18 Cup races, of which he won four.

Imagine including the Nationwide Series in the Daytona 500. That's about what France did when the brand-new Daytona International Speedway opened in February of 1959. France included both hardtops and convertibles in the inaugural Daytona 500 field. In order to set the lineup, France decided to hold a pair of qualifying races -- one for each class -- and Welborn earned the pole by winning the Convertible sprint race. Since then, the Daytona 500 field has always been set by a pair of qualifying races.

Welborn's championship streak was snapped at three by Joe Lee Johnson in 1959, the final season for the Convertible Division. Ned Jarrett won the final points race, on the half-mile dirt track at the Charlotte Fairgrounds, as only 15 races were held.

However, that wasn't the end of convertible racing in NASCAR. Darlington's Rebel 300 was a convertible-only Cup points race until 1962, with Weatherly, Fred Lorenzen and Nelson Stacy winning the final three events. The race was switched to hardtops beginning in 1963, eventually expanded and is now run as the Saturday night Southern 500, usually on Mother's Day weekend.

Welborn, who made his final Cup start in 1964, was inducted into the National Motorsports Press Association's Hall of Fame in 1982. He died in 1997, one year before NASCAR listed him as one of its 50 greatest drivers in 1998.

The opinions expressed are solely those of the writer.

--
Schaefer: It's not just for racing anymore.
Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
11 years ago
3,119 posts

Jim Streeter! Wow, we would love to hear your first hand story of what you remember about that day. With your excellent memory that would be an awesome treat for all of us.

Laverne Zachary! I would love to see the video you have as I am sure many more here would love to see. That is more than I ever imagined possible when I researched that race. Thanks!

Patsy, if Winding Wayne remembers this, I hope he'll share those memories. He is another one blessed with an awesome memory bank!

Billy, my friend, thank you for pointing that out. First time I saw that car in Memory Lane, it came back to life for me as the car from that night in 1958. Funny thing is there are those who will argue with me all night that Richard did not run his first race in Columbia and that he did not win his first race in Columbia a year later. I know my memory of facts hasn't gotten that bad, but I appreciate you backing me up!

Dave, thanks for your kind comments. I always appreciate your input.

Chase, once more you add so much to what I have written. Thank you for that. You are truly an incredible race fan and a fantastic person to know. I deeply appreciate all you do.

--

LAVERNE ZACHARY
@laverne-zachary
11 years ago
117 posts

Tim I don't know how to put videos on the internet but if you can wait till our event in September I promise you will see it.Also have some other convertible races that were made by an individual you might like to see.

Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
11 years ago
3,119 posts

Laverne, you're darn right I want to see all the convertible races, and/or any other races you have on video. I CAN definitely wait until your event in September. I am really looking forward to that, as always, because I know everything will be first class awesome as it has been every year I've been there. Thanks for enhancing my anticipation, as if I needed it! You guys are first class.

--

Dennis Andrews
@dennis-andrews
11 years ago
835 posts

Yes it was called Champion Speedway Laverne. Dad has told me about going to see Heb Thomas win the Grand National race there in '56. I'll ask him about any convertible races.

Dennis  Garrett
@dennis-garrett
11 years ago
560 posts

Photo #1 Winner #49 Bob Welborn, 1956 Chevrolet, winning $700.00

Photo #2 Race start/finish information

from Greg Fielden hard cover book: "Rumblin' Ragtops - The History of NASCAR's Fabulous Convertible Division".

Photo #3 Lee Petty 1959 Daytona 500 winning #42 Olds racecar had "Lee Petty (Squirrel Sr.)" painted on it's car top.

Photo #4 Lee Petty 1959 Daytona 500 winning #42 Olds racecar had "Lee Petty (Squirrel Sr.)" painted on it's car top.

Photo #5 Richard Petty 1959 Daytona 500 Convertible #43 Olds racecar had Richard Petty (Squirrel Jr.) painted on it's doors.

Photo #6 Richard Petty 1959 Daytona 500 Convertible #43 Olds racecar had Richard Petty (Squirrel Jr.) painted on it's doors.

Where did the (Squirrel Sr.) / (Squirrel Jr.) nicknames come from?
Nicknames for Petty's 1959 racecars?

Dennis Garrett
Richmond,Va. USA

Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
11 years ago
3,119 posts

Thanks, Dennis,for your additions to this post. I appreciate the visuals as I am not astute enough with a computer to do that. That '57 Oldsmobile convertible, what's left of it, is sitting in Memory Lane Museum in Mooresville, NC. Everytime I see it, I go back to that hot July night at Columbia Speedway when Richard brought it home 6th. I talked to him after the race, got his autograph, and then on the way home with my Uncle who got me involved in the sport to begin with, I expressed my then "independent" decision to become a Richard Petty fan. That was most brought about because my Uncle was a big fan of Lee Petty, as was I, but I picked Richard to follow, partly to be different from my Uncle. I remember my Uncle saying to me that night "that kid will never be half the driver his daddy is". I was incredibly fortunate to be able to follow Richard throughout his career and, as Richard likes to say, I have aggrevated him for 55 years and still going.

--

Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
11 years ago
3,119 posts

As for where "Squirrell, Jr. and Sr." came from, I'm not sure about that. Could have been from a movie because the next year, the 1960 Plymouths of the Pettys were "Thumper I and Thumper II" which obviously came from Disney's Bambi. In 1961 the cars were entitled the "Blue Angels", and in 1962, they were "Ketchum I and II". I don't recall the cars having names after that year. The last time I remember Richard having his name on a car was in early 1964 when simply "Richard" was on the door where the outside mirror would usually be mounted.

--

TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
11 years ago
4,073 posts

Seems like I've read that Richard's driving style initially was pretty erratic earning him the nickname of Squirrel. I guess because he was Lee's son that someone stuck the Jr. part on the end. Then perhaps as a show of support Lee added Squirrel Sr on his car for a few races. But that's more hearsay on my part than anything confirmed with the team.

But you're right. Richard never was one to have his name on the car that often. But I know a couple of times he had it on the 43 after 64. PE painted "Richard" on the door at Charlotte in 1966.

And he sported it along with a funky 43 font at Riverside in January 1967.

(from Ray Lamm's collection )

There never really seemed to be a pattern of when PE ran it. There is probably a story behind it if we could just get it from Dale, Chief, Billy Biscoe, or others from the day.

--

updated by @tmc-chase: 04/07/17 10:14:35AM
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
8 years ago
4,073 posts

Race preview and results articles

--
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
7 years ago
4,073 posts

Bump

--