march 1st 1970

sonny miller
@sonny-miller
14 years ago
4 posts
after 12 2nd place finishes james harvey hylton gets his first nascar grand national win at richmond va.im proud to be a member of his arca team come on members how can we forget a great driver and good friend like james to me it was a great day in nascar history
updated by @sonny-miller: 12/05/16 04:02:07PM
Jeff Gilder
@jeff-gilder
14 years ago
1,783 posts
James is a great racer and a great guy. We are very happy that he made the very first induction class of the RacersReunion Memory Lane Hal Of Fame.

--
Founder/Creator - RacersReunion®
Leon Phillips
@leon-phillips
14 years ago
626 posts
The first thing i do watching a ARCA race is to see where Jame`s is starting 2 to see where he is running 3 to see where he fininhes 4 to see how much money he make`s in that race and hope he can make the next one i am a big Jame`s Hilton Fan the real 48
Bumpertag
@bumpertag
14 years ago
363 posts
I work for james for 3 years back when Trevor Boys drove the car. James was very good to me and I treasure the memories of the long hours, hard work and great guys I was around.
FallsCity48
@fallscity48
14 years ago
18 posts
James I feel is the most unhealded legend ever to drive a car in NASCAR competition !!In 1966 & 1967, James drove 1 car using 1 engine for 87 straight races finishing 2nd in the points battle both years against all the talent & money the factories could dish out.A FEAT I FEEL CAN NEVER BE MATCHED OR DUPLICATED !!A TRIBUTE TO JAMES & HIS DRIVE & ABILITY
Dennis Andrews
@dennis-andrews
13 years ago
835 posts

Feb. 20,1970 Citrus 250 Daytona International Speedway

"How Sweet It Is," Says James Hylton

Things may never be the same for James Hylton, the one time mechanic for Ned Jarrett.

Hylton, a regular on the NASCAR Grand National circuit since 1966, had never won a race. He changed all of that on Feb. 20 by winning the Citrus 250 at Daytona Beach Fla..

Four years in the making the winner's circle made the day even sweeter for the Inman, S.C. driver.

A Dodge driver who recently switched to a Ford, Hylton's first victory was in a Camaro. He smoked past a star-studded field and beat Wayne Andrews to the finish by 24 seconds.

His average speed for the drive was a respectable 101.241 miles per hour.

He liked the race so well - winning's that way - that he may stick to the Grand American Challenge series this season.

Hylton finished second in many Grand National events and has been a perennial contender for the point championship.

"At times I didn't believe I'd ever win one," he admitted in victory circle.

He had predicted in advance, however, that the winner would have to beat him.

On the grid for the Citrus 250

#55 Tiny Lund, #48 James Hylton, #42 Charlie Blanton

(Above from news clipping, can't remember where.)

Mike Sykes
@mike-sykes
13 years ago
308 posts
James is another independent that got the royal shaft. He won the race in Talladega and the owner of Pop Cola stated on national radio and TV that he was going to pour the money into James Hylton Racing and go to the top. Well he got alot of drink machines put in stores and service stations, garages and then dumped James. In turn alot of the same stores, service Stations and garages heard what he did to James and they dumped him in the same fashion.Fan loyalty meant something in those days. I know the neighborhood Esso set the Pop Cola drink machine on the curb with the trash when he heard what they done to James with the drinks still in it.The salesman picked it up a few weeks later during the night.
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
13 years ago
9,137 posts
I was at the Richmond win and we were pulling hard for James.

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
13 years ago
3,119 posts
James is one of the finest. I pulled for him when he raced, he helped me when I raced, and every time I see him on the track I think of what could have been if he hadn't been taken advantage of so many times by sponsors such a Pop Cola. James is truly one of the best of the sport, ever.

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.