Dick Trickle commits suicide

S.T.A.R.S. Radio
@stars-radio
11 years ago
514 posts

Retired race car driver Richard "Dick" Trickle, 71, died today from an apparent self inflicted gun shot wound, according to the Lincoln County Sheriff's Office.

The incident occurred at 12:02 p.m. at Forest Lawn Cemetery on Highway 150 East in Boger City.

The Lincoln County Communications Center received a call apparently from the victim that "there would be a dead body and it would be his ". Communications Center workers tried to place a return call to the number but did not get an answer.

The first emergency units arriving on the scene located the body lying near the victim's pickup truck.

Trickle was a Lincoln County resident and had lived there since the early 1990's.

updated by @stars-radio: 04/06/18 01:34:25AM
Patsy Thompkins ~ Keisler
@patsy-thompkins-keisler
11 years ago
559 posts

Such sad...news. Love and Prayers for all ...

Leon Phillips
@leon-phillips
11 years ago
626 posts

Just saw it on the news at 4 30 this after noon very sad

Jay Coker
@jay-coker
11 years ago
177 posts

Unreal. Dick was one of the GREAT ones...

John R. Bockelman
@john-r-bockelman
11 years ago
62 posts
Nice Wikipedia page for Dick. May he rest in peace. JB http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dick_Trickle
Andy DeNardi
@andy-denardi
11 years ago
365 posts
It's a shame that there isn't a more humane way to go when you've made that decision.
Jan Woodberry
@jan-woodberry
11 years ago
171 posts

So sad...my thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends.

Jan Woodberry
@jan-woodberry
11 years ago
171 posts

Jo Ard said to please send condolences from her and Sam. They knew him well and thought highly of him as a race driver.

Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
11 years ago
3,119 posts

Yes, may he rest in peace indeed. Dick was a breath of fresh air in NASCAR at a time when we needed the rough and ready "throwback" drivers. He was a competitor of the first class. My thoughts and prayers to the family and friends of this fine man. God bless you all.

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

William Horrell
@william-horrell
11 years ago
175 posts
Sad news. Dick was a great racer. He was a terror while in Wisconsin driving his#99 cars.Condolences to all personal friends and family.
Jay Coker
@jay-coker
11 years ago
177 posts

Thought everyone might appreciate seeing this- I uploaded it tonight:

ray lamm
@ray-lamm
11 years ago
214 posts

so sad to hear the news of dick trickle.dick was at the bud moore event at memory lane dick was part of bud moore driversin oct14,2012 .my prayer are to his family at this time.RIP.

Jan Woodberry
@jan-woodberry
11 years ago
171 posts

Thanks for posting this link...great article about a great person. Just wish that he had reached out to someone and received the help he so desperately needed. So sad...so final. :(

Jan Woodberry
@jan-woodberry
11 years ago
171 posts

This was good...thanks for posting, Jay.

Steve Struve
@steve-struve
11 years ago
47 posts

There is a Las Vegas connection to this tragedy. Dick's brother Chuck lives here and has been a local racer for many years. To read the story about this in the LV Review Journal, go to:

http://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/motor-sports/dick-trickle-was-constant-pain-apparent-suicide-brother-says

RIP Dick - you were the greatest !

Andy DeNardi
@andy-denardi
11 years ago
365 posts
Trickle's death is getting a lot of press and I don't understand why. It can't just be that he was an excellent short track racer. Should we expect the same when Dave Marcis dies? Kenny Schrader? Kenny Wallace? I don't expect to see this many stories when Cale Yarborough passes.
Jan Woodberry
@jan-woodberry
11 years ago
171 posts

Andy, maybe it could be the "shock & awe" of the situation. Also many times people will have the feeling of "Could I have done something to have prevented Dick Trickle from doing this?" With suicide being so prevalent these days, many emotions come into play. Then it becomes a sensational news story. So sad. (Of course these are just my thoughts.)

Sandeep Banerjee
@sandeep-banerjee
11 years ago
360 posts

Definitely a big blow to the racing community to lose such a legend and by all accounts, a nice person.

Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
11 years ago
3,259 posts

I would rather say he went to another area of Racing instead of committing Suicide....

Jan Woodberry
@jan-woodberry
11 years ago
171 posts

The 911 tape has been released and posted by TMZ and others. If its posted on here it won't be by me.

Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
11 years ago
3,259 posts

I like to keep things on the plus side in life---posting the tape will bring no good to the loosing of a great guy.. lets remember him as the great person he was........ Memories

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

Here is the obituary authorized by Dick's family as published by Warlick Funeral Home and The Charlotte Observer:

Richard Trickle
( October 27, 1941 - May 16, 2013 )

Richard Dick Trickle, age 71, of Iron Station, NC died of a self-inflicted gunshot. He had been suffering for some time with severe chronic pain, had seen many doctors, none of which could find the source of his pain. His family as well as all those who knew him, find his death very hard to accept, and though we will hurt from losing him for some time, hes no longer suffering and we take comfort knowing hes with his very special angel.

He is survived by his wife Darlene (McMahon)Trickle, three children Victoria Bowman (John), Tod Trickle, and Chad Trickle (Shannon), and 3 grandchildren, Lucas Bowman, Courtney Trickle and Carlee Trickle. He lost his oldest grandchild Nicole Bowman in a tragic car accident nearly 12 years ago. He was the son of the late Leo and Lauretta Trickle and is survived by his brothers Duaine Trickle, Charles Trickle and sisters Delores Iwanski, and Susan Trickle.

Dicks passion in life was his racing. He touched many lives throughout his career, provided memories for many that will last a lifetime. Many thought when he retired he would continue as a car owner, but he was driver at heart, he wanted to be behind the wheel and be in control of his destiny. We believe he felt himself no longer able to be behind that wheel of life or be the man he only knew how to be because of the pain and suffering.

His passion was racing but his love was his family. This is a very difficult time for the family, they hope everyone will understand and respect their wishes to have private services for his funeral. They appreciate all the calls, messages, and letters of support, but at this time need to be together as a family.

There have been requests for where to send flowers, in lieu of flowers the family has asked that a donation be made in Memory of Dick to: Victory Junction, 4500 Adams Way, Randleman, NC 27317. They thank you for all your love, thoughts, and prayers.
Posted on 17 May 2013

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
Jan Woodberry
@jan-woodberry
11 years ago
171 posts

Thanks for posting, Dave.

Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
11 years ago
3,259 posts

As a lasting final tribute to Dick Trickle Brother Carl Edwards did it in a lasting toast------------------------------------------------