100,000 Mile Comets

John R. "Johnny" Hollins
@john-r-johnny-hollins
14 years ago
6 posts
Do any of you remember when Ford had five 1964 Comets at Daytona in late 1963 to run for endurance records? Four of them went the 100,000 miles and a local racer, Howard 'H.G' Rosier was one of the drivers. He was the guest speaker at the local AIRPS meeting this month. Here's the only link I have been able to find, thus far;

http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20803?1=1

Johnny

updated by @john-r-johnny-hollins: 12/05/16 04:02:07PM
Pete Banchoff
@pete-banchoff
14 years ago
279 posts
Yup, Johnny, I remember reading about it. I think they were 271 horse HI PO 289's. I don't remember how long it took, but they were really haulin' for production cars.Pete in Michigan
Dennis Andrews
@dennis-andrews
14 years ago
835 posts
Johnny,Seems like I remember reading something about this in the lastest book about "Bud Moore Man and Machine". I don't remember the year that was in the book but if Mercury was involved Bud was too. I'll look it up and let you know.Dennis
John R. "Johnny" Hollins
@john-r-johnny-hollins
14 years ago
6 posts
Pete and Dennis,They ran for forty days and forty nights! http://www.dipity.com/timeline/1964-Mercury-Comet-Caliente There are two videos about the durability run.Johnny Dennis Andrews said:
Johnny,
Seems like I remember reading something about this in the lastest book about "Bud Moore Man and Machine". I don't remember the year that was in the book but if Mercury was involved Bud was too. I'll look it up and let you know. Dennis
Dennis Andrews
@dennis-andrews
14 years ago
835 posts
My apologies guys, I was remembering reading about an endurance trial in the book about Bud Moore but it was not about Comets at Daytona but Pontiacs at Indy. Bud did campaign Comets but not in '64 they were Marauders. In November of 1961 Bud built engines for Ray Nichels Pontiac Catalinas and they went after the Stevens Challenge Trophy. The challenge was to run 24 hours non stop at Indy. In doing so they set records for the fastest single lap, most laps completed in 24 hours and the highest average speed.This just proves that my short term memory is not that good. I'll be more carefull before I put my 2 cents in next time.Dennis
Stacy Morgan
@stacy-morgan
14 years ago
9 posts
In the 70's something like this was at Charlotte Motor Speedway, I have forgotten the details.
Pete Banchoff
@pete-banchoff
14 years ago
279 posts
Dennis, don't feel bad...after all it's coming up on 50 years ago!!Pete Dennis Andrews said:
My apologies guys, I was remembering reading about an endurance trial in the book about Bud Moore but it was not about Comets at Daytona but Pontiacs at Indy. Bud did campaign Comets but not in '64 they were Marauders. In November of 1961 Bud built engines for Ray Nichels Pontiac Catalinas and they went after the Stevens Challenge Trophy. The challenge was to run 24 hours non stop at Indy. In doing so they set records for the fastest single lap, most laps completed in 24 hours and the highest average speed.
This just proves that my short term memory is not that good. I'll be more carefull before I put my 2 cents in next time.
Dennis