Racing History Minute - October 31, 1965

Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
11 years ago
3,119 posts

Happy Halloween Race Fans. Time to trick or treat yourself to a minute of NASCAR History. Today we are going to the one-mile track in Rockingham, NC, that became known as "The Rock" and was robbed of its Cup dates by greed and selfishness. In spite of the efforts of Andy Hillenburg to bring action back to the track, he has been thwarted by requirements for more and more expenditures to make "The Rock" race safe. But today is not the day to lament the current situation of the facility, although it breaks my heart, but to return to that sunny Sunday afternoon in 1965 when it was indeed a treat for a race fan to be at that track for the event that unfolded.

There were 43 entries to start the race, one of those being Curtis Turner. Curtis had been one of the earliest stars of NASCAR but was "banned for life" by Bill France when Curtis attempted to "unionize" the drivers in order to obtain a loan from The Teamsters Union to help the finally strapped Charlotte Motor Speedway, which had been the brainchild of Turner. When NASCAR outlawed the Mopar teams in 1965, attendance hit rock bottom for the sport, so in an effort to draw more fans, Turner was reinstated. Oh, and just a side note to that statement is that Turner was involved in establishing a circuit to compete with NASCAR and it is believed by many that France was afraid of what Turner could do with such a circuit. But for this race in Rockingham, Curtis would take the wheel of a red and white number 41 Wood Brothers Ford. It would be Turner's 7th start since being reinstated by Big Bill.

Richard Petty, who had been allowed to return to tracks one mile or less in length, put his Plymouth on the pole with a speed of 116.260 mph. Junior Johnson would start second in a Ford, David Pearson in Cotton Owens' Dodge qualified third, Curtis Turner fourth and Marvin Panch in another Wood Brothers Ford fifth.

Junior blasted his Ford to the front when the green dropped and he would stay there for 45 laps before Curtis Turner took over for one lap. Panch then held the front spot for 3 laps before Johnson moved out front again. Bobby Isaac led lap 82 but was overhauled by Johnson on lap 83. Isaac pushed his Ray Nichels Dodge back in front to lead from lap 90 to 99. On lap 100 it was Turner again and he would lead the pack until lap 145 when teammate Panch took over for 29 laps.

In the first 175 laps of the race, Richard Petty had been involved in a 5 car crash on lap 58 which parked the 43 behind the wall. He would take over the number 42 being driven by Jim Paschal. The number 42 was 2 laps in arrears when Richard got in the car on lap 126. David Pearson and Gene Black were also involved in the crash that took out the 43.

Turner was back in front on lap 176, but most of the crowd was watching the Petty blue number 42 as Petty was literally slicing his way through the field like a hot knife would cut butter. On lap 376, the number 42 took the lead and was pulling away from the field as if on a track of its own. On lap 359 the Plymouth experienced ignition problems and headed to the pits to the attention of "the Chief" and soon returned to the track although laps down by that point.

With Petty's pit road ignition replacement, Curtis took over the front spot again for 4 laps before Junior Johnson once more took over. Cale Yarborough got into the mix on lap 439 and would lead until lap 473 until Turner passed him and led the last 26 laps of the race.

There is some discrepancy in the record of this race from my source. It clearly shows Junior Johnson out of the race with engine failure on lap 154, yet it shows Junior leading laps as late as lap 378. It also, properly, indicates that it was Jim Paschal leading laps 276-359 although it was Richard Petty doing the driving. As the car was started by Paschal, the finishing position and points would go to Paschal.

Curtis said, from Victory Lane, that "I was driving as hard as I could go" explaining why he tagged the wall twice during the race, including the late stage battle with Cale Yarborough. Curtis said the Wood Brothers car was so perfect that even bouncing it off the wall twice didn't hinder the performance.

Finishing Order:

1. Curtis Turner, Wood Brothers Ford, winning $13,000.00

2. Cale Yarborough, Banjo Matthews Ford, winning $6,450.00

3. Marvin Panch, Wood Brothers Ford, winning $4,010.00 (2 laps down)

4. G. C. Spencer, Spencer Ford, winning $2,450.00 (10 laps down)

5. Jim Paschal, Petty Plymouth (Richard relieving) winning $2,000.00 (14 laps down)

6. J. T. Putney

7. Dick Hutcherson

8. Elmo Langley

9. Buck Baker

10. PAUL LEWIS

11. Larry Hess

12.Bobby Johnson

13.Worth McMillion

14.Wayne Smith

15. Jimmy Helms

16. Ned Jarrett

17. Bob Derrington

18. Jabe Thomas

19. Neil Castles

20. Wendell Scott

21. Bobby Isaac

22. Frank Warren

23. Sam McQuagg

24. Buddy Baker

25. David Pearson

26. Roy Tyner

27. Fred Lorenzen

28. Lionel Johnson

29. Junior Spencer

30. E. J. Trivette

31. Roy Mayne

32.Junior Johnson

33. Stick Elliott

34. Tom Pistone

35. Doug Cooper

36. Richard Petty

37. Darrell Bryant

38. Gene Black

39.Rene Charland

40. Don Hume

41. Buddy Arrington

42. John Sears

43. Darel Dieringer

PERSONAL NOTE: My friends and I had been looking forward to this race for months in anticipation of seeing a new speedway for NASCAR. The Rock is only about a 2 hour drive from home. We had everything prepared for a weekend adventure, even to some heavy plastic paint tarps we intended to extend from the infield fence to our car. We had no doubt we would claim a place against the fence in turn fouras we planned to be there when the gates opened Saturday.

At the time, I worked in the parts department of Burnside Dodge, the local Dodge dealer and part of my duties was to drive the 1965 Dodge delivery van to pick up and deliver parts around the city. If you remember those vans, the nose was flat and the battery was actually in a metal box mounted behind the driver's seat in the utility vans such as the one I was driving.

About 3:00 p.m. that Friday afternoon, I needed to make a run to the Oliver Motor Company, the Chrysler-Plymouth dealer in town, about 5 miles across town to pick up a brake master cylinder for a car our mechanic was working on. I jumped in the van and headed out, taking my usual route to Oliver Motor Company which took me through the less traveled part of the city. I had just passed our Township Auditorium down town and was going through the green light just past that. Meanwhile, some "brothers" had robbed a bank and were running from law enforcement in a 1964 Chevy Impala.

I never really knew what hit me until I woke up lying on the sidewalk with EMTs (were they called that back then) trying to clean me up. The bankrobbers had run the red light at a speed estimated to be around 60 mph and hit the van right in the passenger's door. It knocked the van so high in the air it took down the wires for the traffic signals. Witnesses said the van came down nose first into the pavement and rolled over on its top. Witnesses pulled me out, covered in blood, broken glass and battery acid from where the battery had exploded on impact and covered me and the inside of the van with the contents. I had glass particles from the broken out windshield imbedded all in my face, neck, arms and hands.

I was transported by ambulance to the local emergency room (about 5 blocks from the accident) and they worked on me for a couple house getting the glass out and taking care of the burns from the acid. Then it was off to x-ray for the very bloody knee I had. After about 4 hours of being looked at by everyone in the city who had a white coat, the word came down that I would need to stay a day or two for "observation". I remember quite the discussion between me and those doctors before my mother got involved. I'm not sure of what all she said but I did hear something about the race in Rockingham. When she finished instructing the doctors in the proper practice of medicine, I was released with a huge bottle of pills for pain and orders to come in Monday for further examination.

So, come Saturday morning, it was off to The Rock with me still wearing a bandage around my head where several deep cuts has suffered the battery acid burns. There were five of us who set up camp, sure enough against the fence in turn four. We had a great time but it was cold that Saturday night and when I went to unzip the sleeping bag Sunday morning I could hardly move.

Mama and Daddy showed up about 10:00 a.m. as they did not come for the campout. Of course Mama had to closely examine "her boy" and it was determined a new bandage had to be put on as the cuts on my face had bled a little overnight. So, Doctor Mama took care of that and we set about getting ready for the race to start.

To say that I was in pain that day would be an understatement. I didn't tell anyone but the pain was awful in my knee and my back was so sore I could hardly get around. After Richard got wrecked I felt even worse but then he got in the 42 and I had reason to cheer again. Somewhere around 300 laps I couldn't stand the pain anymore and although Richard was leading in the 42, I agreed to take a couple of those pain pills and lie down in the back seat of Daddy's car. Within minutes I was out like the proverbial light.

With about 10 laps to go, Mama was shaking me awake saying the race was about to win. I sat up rubbing my eyes and looked at the track just in time to see the number 42 go flying by. I was sure he was leading as he was blowing them off the track when I "passed out" but, alas, Richard had lost all those laps with ignition problems. My attention then turned to Curtis Turner.

Having grown up watching Curtis race I was happy to see that he was making a comeback and it felt good, even at my young age then, to know that a childhood "hero" could still get the job done. Our group walked over to the pits after the race, or more accurately describing my efforts as hobbling. When we encountered Richard Petty and he saw the bandage he said something about someone finally getting to me. We all laughed that one off but learning how much I have aggrevated him his entire career, he could have perhaps been hoping someone had bounced a tire iron off my head!

The sun was setting as we got back in the car and for one of the few times in my race traveling history, I climbed in the back seat and the last thing I remember was us entering the tunnel. I slept all the way back to Columbia and they had to shake me to pieces to wake me.

I was so impressed with the track at Rockingham, that I wrote a letter to the track. When the little pamplet came out for the next race, they had printed part of my letter in that brochure. I was, indeed, thrilled to see my name in something actually associated with a NASCAR track.

Rockingham has changed since that first race. They increased the banking and made other improvements around the property. I still love that track but it was that first race that will forever be deep in my heart. On that Halloween in 1965, there were no tricks, only treats.

Honor the past, embrace the present, dream for the future

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

updated by @tim-leeming: 12/05/16 04:00:58PM
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
11 years ago
4,073 posts

Several good photos have been shared on RacersReunion. Here are some I found.

Race program ( Laverne Zachary )

The garage area ( Don Smyle )

Turner getting pit service from the Wood Brothers team ( Ray Lamm )

Pops back in a NASCAR victory lane ( Ray Lamm )

A really nice shot of Pops collecting the hardware ( Ray Lamm )

--
Schaefer: It's not just for racing anymore.

updated by @tmc-chase: 10/30/17 03:45:35PM
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
11 years ago
4,073 posts

This inaugural Rockingham race was Junior Johnson's next-to-last "superspeedway" race. He raced only 7 times in 1966. Six of them were on North Carolina and Virginia short tracks. He returned to Rockingham 1 year later and made his last superspeedway start and his final career start in the 1966 American 500.

http://racersreunion.com/community/forum/stock-car-racing-history/28331/october-30-1966-fast-freddy-takes-the-rock-paul-lewis-gets-a-shot\

--

updated by @tmc-chase: 10/30/17 03:46:18PM
Dennis Andrews
@dennis-andrews
11 years ago
835 posts

From June 25, 1964 Anson Record

The planned ban on infield parking had clearly been lifted by race time.

TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
11 years ago
4,073 posts

The 1965 American 500 was featured on Dale Jr's Back In The Day series a few years ago where he repackaged some of the old Car And Track episodes narrated by Bud Lindemann.

--
Jack Carter
@jack-carter
11 years ago
9 posts

Tim love that "Back In The Day" videos, I was at a lot of those races back in the day!

TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
11 years ago
4,073 posts

Few more I found this morning.

Track construction...

Grandstands and fencing built. Track grading taking shape and awaiting asphalt.

Paving begins

Even Richard Petty got in on the paving action!

Concrete grandstands have been poured.

Elzie Webb

Car owner and race promoter, L.G. DeWitt with John Sears car

Race Day!

A pre-race meal - Junior Johnson is about to chow down on a sammich. And I believe that is Lee Roy Yarbrough and Fred Lorenzen at the table with him. Is that Buddy Baker wearing a jacket and facing the other way?

A packed, sandy infield.

G.C. Spencer (49) ahead of Elmo Langley (64), Ned Jarrett (11), Roy Mayne (46) and Dick Hutcherson (29).

Turn 1 racing action - Hutcherson pulls Bobby Isaac (35) behind him

Cale Yarborough gets pit service from Banjo Matthews and crew as Larry Hess (44) continues on the track in the background.

Pops takes the checkers

--

updated by @tmc-chase: 10/30/17 03:46:57PM
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

"Little Johnny" representing the Philip Morris cigarette brand of Richmond's Philip Morris Tobacco Co. in victory lane with "Pops" at this pre-Winston cigarette involvement Grand National event.

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

Legend, this race is now significant to me for TWO reasons:

1) First time I ever pulled for a Ford Product to win

2) Now the first and only race to which a friend was about to head when he was intercepted by bank robbers. Holy cow, Tim... you are indeed a Legend!!!

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

Referring to the pre-race meal photo above, the Rockingham infield cafeteria for many years offered the finest fare on the race circuit - home cooked veggies right out of the garden, etc. Yum. I salivate just thinking about it. That was always the meeting place when you wanted to get together with anyone at the Rockingham track.

The famous "FALSTAFF, the Winner!" billboard coming off turn 4 was matched by a similar board at Darlington.

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

Johnny Roventini, 86, Bellhop Who Called for Phillip Morris
By ROBERT McG. THOMAS Jr

The New York Times
December 02, 1998

Johnny Roventini, the little Brooklyn-born bellhop with the big bell-clear voice whose ''Call for Phil-lip Mor-ris,'' delighted radio audiences in the 1930's and 40's and made the cigarette into a household name, died on Monday at a hospital in Suffern, N.Y. He was 86 and had been under lifetime contract to the company since 1933.

His family said the cause was complications from a facial infection.

From the time Mr. Roventini first went on the air for Philip Morris, on the Ferde Grofe Show on April 17, 1933, until the cigarette company began to phase him out as a radio and television spokeman in the early 1950's, Mr. Roventini's was one of the most recognizable voices in the land. And with the picture of the little man in his bright red, gold-trimmed uniform plastered in store windows and in magazine ads he was one of the nation's most recognizable figures.

Although the company liked to say it discovered him in the lobby of the New Yorker Hotel, until he became its spokesman the 22-year-old Mr. Roventini was more famous than Philip Morris.

At 4 feet tall, he was billed as ''the world's smallest bellboy,'' and even had his picture on postcards.

It was a pituitary gland disorder that halted his development before his voice changed and left him with a 12-year-old's body for the rest of his life, but it was his gregarious personality that helped make Mr. Roventini a favorite of the countless singers and other radio stars he introduced.

After his retirement in 1974, Mr. Roventini, who never married, devoted himself to his sports cars and to the cabin cruisers he kept in Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn.

For the last few years he had lived with his brother Fred in Chestnut Ridge, N.Y. His nephew, Philip Roventini, said his uncle, never more than a light social smoker, had not smoked at all in recent years but had remained a company man, indifferent to tobacco's link with health problems.

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

"Little Johnny" had a pint sized car he drove around in, but before an appearance in Eugene, Oregon, enroute to a reception in Seattle, the spokesman for Philip Morris cigarettes had already emulated Tim Leeming's pre-Rockingham antics and crashed it:

--
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
11 years ago
4,073 posts

Race preview from Spartanburg Herald

Race report from News And Courier

--

updated by @tmc-chase: 10/30/17 03:47:17PM
Devin
@devin
11 years ago
618 posts

Very nice!

Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
11 years ago
3,119 posts

Maybe Raytona and his little car could replace Johnny!

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
11 years ago
3,119 posts

Boy, Jack, me too! I was there at most of the races down south and I love watching the videos.

--

Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
11 years ago
3,119 posts

Lol, Dave. Jesse James was a Legend in the bank robbery department. I was just doing my job and got caught in the police chase. When I saw the van a few days after the fact, I wondered how I had survived that. Funny thing though is that I was NOT wearing a seatbelt in that accident (not sure the van even had one) but if I had been I would have probably suffered more sever injuries or possibly have been killed. Yet I never start a vehicle without fastening that seatbelt. They don't have to threaten me with that assinine "click it or ticket" campaign. They can "stick it" on that one. I have sense enough to know to click that belt.

--

TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
10 years ago
4,073 posts

Petty's wrecked ride.

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
10 years ago
9,137 posts

R.I.P., our old friend, Jack.

--
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
10 years ago
4,073 posts

Paschal's entry was somewhat last minute. The former Petty driver became one again when Lee hired him to drive a 2nd car in the team's first superspeedway race of the season. - Spartanburg Herald

--
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
10 years ago
4,073 posts

The pace lap before the green with Petty and Junior Johnson on the front row, Pearson in 3rd and Pops in 4th.

--
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
7 years ago
4,073 posts

BOOMP!

--
Dennis Andrews
@dennis-andrews
7 years ago
835 posts

If memory serves me correctly dad was at this race and told me that Curtis stopped on pit road after the race, got out, sat on the car and downed 2 beers before climbing back in the car and going to victory lane. No wasting of a beverage then like they do today by spraying it all over the place.

updated by @dennis-andrews: 01/18/20 05:20:38AM