The NASCAR Volkswagen

Billy Kingsley
@billy-kingsley
14 years ago
30 posts

At Langhorne on 6/21/53, there was a race on the NASCAR Grand National Schedule called the International 200, which was open to the regular domestic cars, but also to non-American cars, one of the relativly few times that was allowed in the 1950s. The race had some Porsches, Jaguars, even an Aston Martin....and one single Volkswagen! It was driven by Dick Hagey, and wore the #18. He finished 19th in a field of 38, the race being won by Dick Rathmann in his Hudson.

Since I found out about this car's existance about a decade ago, I have been trying to hunt down a photograph of it. I have been unsuccessfull. Does anyone here on Racer's Reunion have a photo of it? It is one of my two Holy Grails of NASCAR history, the other being the Tucker that broke before the race started. I have since found a photo of the Tucker....but the VW still eludes me.

I believe it to be a VW Beetle, but that is unconfirmed.

I hope to build a 1/25th scale plastic model of it, once the photo is found, IF I can determine what colors the car wore.

Thanks in Advance!

updated by @billy-kingsley: 12/05/16 04:02:07PM
Pete Banchoff
@pete-banchoff
14 years ago
279 posts
Billy, you've thrown a tough one out. I never heard of this until Harlow Reynolds mentioned Dick Hagey's Volkswagen in the comment section of the picture of the #12 Tucker. The Tucker is in the photo section on Stock Car Racers Reunion. Harlow might have a little more info on the car. Also, Jim Streeter might have heard about the car since he was running some Nascar around that time. Please let us know if you find anything out about the VW.Pete
Jim Streeter
@jim-streeter
14 years ago
242 posts
Pete Banchoff said:
Billy, you've thrown a tough one out. I never heard of this until Harlow Reynolds mentioned Dick Hagey's Volkswagen in the comment section of the picture of the #12 Tucker. The Tucker is in the photo section on Stock Car Racers Reunion. Harlow might have a little more info on the car. Also, Jim Streeter might have heard about the car since he was running some Nascar around that time. Please let us know if you find anything out about the VW.

Pete
My friend Ray Duhigg was badly hurt in this race and Frank Alford was killed.
Jim Streeter
@jim-streeter
14 years ago
242 posts

Jim Streeter
@jim-streeter
14 years ago
242 posts
Back then 1949/1953 The Monday paper was like this.

Jim Streeter
@jim-streeter
14 years ago
242 posts
One Last Thing, 1946 clip.

Billy Kingsley
@billy-kingsley
14 years ago
30 posts
Thanks for the info and newspaper clips Pete and Jim! I hadn't had all that information before, and I'm sorry to hear about the loss of Frank Arford and the injury to Ray Duhigg. From everything I've heard, Langhorne was one of the worst tracks for driver health/safety...
Pete Banchoff
@pete-banchoff
14 years ago
279 posts
Let us know if you ever find a pic of the V W. I'd love to see it! Jim Streeter is a good source for racing from around the 40's and 50's...he's an encyclopedia of info about those cars. He's the one I go to for answers.Good luck, Billy. If I find anything, I'll let you know.Pete
mark charland
@mark-charland
14 years ago
1 posts
Theres many Volkswagen dealers in Philly, Betcha theres a pic on 1 of there walls in there office. Might be worth a shot.In the meen time ill keep my eyes open for ya Billy. Good Hunting
Mike Ray
@mike-ray
14 years ago
41 posts
Dear Billy,There's a great book that Lew Boyd from Coastal 181sells,it's called Ed Otto,Nascars silent partner.I've heard about that VW.Lew might be able to help you or point you in the right direction.peace,out.
Pete Banchoff
@pete-banchoff
14 years ago
279 posts
Billy, my friend Mike Shaub who is a member of Racer Reunion might have some idea or could maybe refer you to someone. He's from Reading Pa. but I've seen pic's from him from Langhorne. Try him. BTW, that race on June 21, 1953 happened the day AFTER I was born. Man, do I feel old now!!Pete
Pete Banchoff
@pete-banchoff
14 years ago
279 posts
Billy, Bobbin' Bobby Williamson did a Ghost Track segment on RR radio about Langhorne and it was one of the most dangerous tracks in America. It was a 1 mile dirt track with some pretty fast speeds at the end of the straights. I think that's where Mel Kenyon had his accident when he was burned. I think 6 or 7 drivers were killed there.Pete
Brandon Reed
@brandon-reed
14 years ago
30 posts
According to Motorsports Memorial , at least 21 drivers lost their lives in accidents at Langhorne between 1926 and 1963.The "Great Left Turn" was a brute, but a unique piece of racing history that, unfortunately, is now lost to us forever. Pete Banchoff said:
Billy, Bobbin' Bobby Williamson did a Ghost Track segment on RR radio about Langhorne and it was one of the most dangerous tracks in America. It was a 1 mile dirt track with some pretty fast speeds at the end of the straights. I think that's where Mel Kenyon had his accident when he was burned. I think 6 or 7 drivers were killed there.

Pete
Billy Kingsley
@billy-kingsley
14 years ago
30 posts
Thanks again for the new info guys. Sorry I have not been around much!I knew it was a dangerous track but I didn't realize it claimed that many lives. That's terrible.
Cody Dinsmore
@cody-dinsmore
14 years ago
589 posts
Yeah that track was about as dangerous as Lakewood in Atlanta. The backstretch going into turn 3 was so dusty.....I can't remember off the top of my head, but it was something like 13 drivers lost their lives there from the early 20s or late teens untill 1958.-Cody
Pete Banchoff
@pete-banchoff
14 years ago
279 posts
Yeah Cody, I didn't know 21 drivers were killed at Langhorne until Brandon mentioned it. 13 at Lakewood is very bad, too. Unfortunately no safety equipment to protect drivers or the fuel cells to prevent fires. Drivers really took their chances, didn't they.
TOM WARD
@tom-ward
14 years ago
2 posts
I've built a 1/43 version of the Tucker mentioned, but am desperately seeking pictures of Hagey VW. I've secured a 1/43 split window and want to build a replica of the NASCAR Beetle. If any of you have unearthed some info, please let me know.Tom Jim Streeter said:
Pete Banchoff said:
Billy, you've thrown a tough one out. I never heard of this until Harlow Reynolds mentioned Dick Hagey's Volkswagen in the comment section of the picture of the #12 Tucker. The Tucker is in the photo section on Stock Car Racers Reunion. Harlow might have a little more info on the car. Also, Jim Streeter might have heard about the car since he was running some Nascar around that time. Please let us know if you find anything out about the VW.

Pete

My friend Ray Duhigg was badly hurt in this race and Frank Alford was killed.
Pete Banchoff
@pete-banchoff
14 years ago
279 posts
Tom, I know we've been looking and trying to find a picture of the Hagey Volkswagen for Billy. Hopefully a picture will surface somewhere and it's probably sitting in someone's collection with no info on it. I'd love to see the car!Pete
TOM WARD
@tom-ward
14 years ago
2 posts
Pete,I'm tempted to freelance a livery, but as soon as I do that I'm sure the proper refence info will surface!Tom