Bristol Caution Lights

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
10 years ago
9,137 posts

I only saw the closing laps of the most recent Bristol race, (I was busy watching my Virginia Wahoos win the ACC Basketball tourney in Greensboro over those Duke Blue Devils and earn the #1 berth in the East regional - Go Hoos!) but I did see the caution lights come on at the end, leaving DW speechless for once in his career.

When nobody could find a reason for the caution, it was reported there was an electrical short from all the rain.

Later, Robin Pemberton of NASCAR admitted that an assistant flagman had leaned on an "over ride" button at the flagstand, turning on some of the lights and leaving NASCAR powerless to turn them off.

I am guessing that the Duck Boy was flying away so quickly in those final laps that a bunch of duck feathers temporarily blinded those on the flagstand causing the excited flagstand occupants to trip the switch.

Your theory?

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"

updated by @dave-fulton: 01/06/17 11:02:57PM
bill mcpeek
@bill-mcpeek
10 years ago
820 posts

good as any explanation Dave. I think they wanted a restart for the excitement but the sudden rain shower shorted out everyone's plans, lol

Cody Dinsmore
@cody-dinsmore
10 years ago
589 posts

Have to agree. I was thinking it was a normal "2 to go Mandatory restart"...and was really curious when Fox kept saying they didn't know what it was for. I am an Edwards fan (and a Ford guy for that matter), but I really would've liked to see the #43 jump up for contention!

Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
10 years ago
3,119 posts

Boy this has become a "hot button" issue all the way around. Robin, the boy wonder with NASCAR says one thing, Jayski reports another thing, others are writing other things about it all and I intend to mention it tonight in the Legendtorial. But, bottom line, is Cody is right. NASCAR wanted that "slam-bang" finish at the track instead of a Duck Boy runaway as was happening. Would have made a good video to promote the upcoming expected dullness of Auto Club Speedway. But, alas, the rains fell and Duck Boy prevailed.

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
10 years ago
3,259 posts

Rains ? --- Ducks ? --- kinda goes together dont you think,but not a cake walk to the back flip at the end. A green,white,checker would have been exciting "if" , o well there's that word again.you know if the Bullfrog had wings, well if Ricky could have get his wings from Danica that could have been a finish .. thats four different winners in four different races.... they keep this up everyone will get to set at the table huh..

Sandeep Banerjee
@sandeep-banerjee
10 years ago
360 posts

Good deduction Dave:)

Dave Wager
@dave-wager
10 years ago
25 posts

IMO,...If they HAD had a green/white/checker with 2 to go in that race, Nascar knew that Carl Edwards would either win the race or they would be sweeping up the remains of the #99 and his closest competitor and making some great promotional highlight film. And,....they would have been correct, but of course, the rain screwed that all up.