March 26, 1989: A dismal day for Petty Enterprises

TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
10 years ago
4,073 posts

Following the Richmond 400 in February 1988, a tired and sore King Richard climbed aboard an STP-emblazoned bulldozer for a celebratory tearing up of the old half-mile speedway. - Dave Fulton

It was the first visible step in converting the facility to the modern 3/4 track still raced today. Petty raced to a third place finish - just a week removed from a horrifying wreck during the Daytona 500. Though worn out from a tough race and a body bruised from the 500, he smiled after the race and took a seat in the dozer as the all time winner at Richmond.

A year later, the new facility was in place. The 2nd race on the new surface, the Pontiac Excitement 400, was again scheduled for late February. Mother Nature had different plans, however, and the race was snow-postponed to March 26th. - Donald Evans

The race was successfully run on its make-up date, and Rusty Wallace won comfortably over Alan Kulwicki and Dale Earnhardt. But the story of the race was who WASN'T racing. After starting 513 consecutive races dating back to 1971, the 43 failed to post a fast enough speed during qualifying to make the show. Petty wasn't able to take advantage of the available provisionals, and he chose not to buy a ride to continue the streak. So just like that, *poof* the streak was over. Yet the race went on without him on March 26th, and Rusty completed the 400 laps first to claim the win.

From Brian Hauck

Adding insult to injury was that Kyle Petty also failed to qualify for the 2nd time in 4 races with his newly formed team, SABCO Racing. He also DNQ for the Daytona 500 after getting wrecked during his qualifying trim.

I'm of the believe Petty Enterprises was all but finished as far back as 82 or 83. When Richard returned to PE in 1986, he nor the team could ever put the pieces back together to successfully recapture past glories. The sport had passed them by. Its a struggle PE and more recently RPM has been fighting ever since. But one could argue the team hit rock bottom when the King was unable to wring enough speed out of his Pontiac to qualify at a place that had been among his tracks (albeit on different configurations and surfaces).

--
Schaefer: It's not just for racing anymore.

updated by @tmc-chase: 12/05/16 04:00:58PM
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
10 years ago
9,137 posts

I'll never forget that day. My old friend, Paul Sawyer, the Richmond promoter, implored Bill France, Jr. to do anything to let Richard race. He offered to increase the purse and number of starting positions. I honestly believe Paul went to his grave hurt that it was at his track, where Richard was the all-time winner, that his string of consecutive starts would end.

In the first photo, the dozer Richard is on was owned by Hugh Hawthorne of Alpine Construction, the Richmonder who has the #43 Plymouth Superbird reconstructed by RR member, Bill Biscoe and others in his den on Courthouse Road near Southside Speedway. Hugh cleared the land for Victory Junction and serves on its Board of Directors.

Click on the link below to see a post about Hugh Hawthorne and his relationship with the Petty family :

http://racersreunion.com/community/forum/general/16216/unsung-heros-attempt-to-pay-back-richard-the-petty-family

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
10 years ago
3,119 posts

I remember that day when Richard failed to qualify as well. I had no words then, and no words now, for the feeling I experienced. Dave, thanks for sharing that about Paul Sawyer. I always did think he was a special guy and what you just put up just proves that to me. Thanks.

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
7 years ago
4,073 posts

Bump with link to Dave Fulton's related post about Richmond and the Pettys.

http://racersreunion.com/community/forum/stock-car-racing-history/31957/a-petty-anniversary-remembered-as-king-returns-to-nascar-at-richmond

--
Schaefer: It's not just for racing anymore.