HIGH SCHOOL SENIOR WINS BIG LAST NITE AT TEXAS MOTOR SPEEDWAY

Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
10 years ago
3,259 posts

Chase Elliott, a high school senior and son of racing legend Bill Elliott , held off Kyle Busch to win Friday night's O'Reilly Auto Parts 300 at Texas Motor Speedway, scoring the first NASCAR Nationwide Series victory.

It was a triumphant night for Elliott, who drove with the poise of a veteran on a track where he had never race before

The victory also gave Elliott the series points lead. Being a night race wonder if this gave him any ectra on the rest.

Kyle ran second behind him so it wasnt a gimme.

As for Elliott's father, Bill, he said, "I'm about speechless. For never having been to some of these places like Vegas, California and now here at Texas, to come out and beat the kind of guys that you beat, I'll tell you what, you've done a heck of a job."

With 16 laps to go, Elliott retook the lead, going around Harvick on the high side, Busch moving into second. "To pass him for the lead there at the end, that's pretty crazy," Elliott said.

Elliott quickly jumped out to a 1.323-second lead, as he set his sights on his first victory. And he pulled away at the end, taking the checkered 2.666 seconds ahead of Busch, the winningest driver in series history. Isnt this kinda how his dad did when came upon the scene ??

updated by @johnny-mallonee: 12/05/16 04:04:08PM
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
10 years ago
9,137 posts

Impressive.

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
Dave Wager
@dave-wager
10 years ago
25 posts

Another year or two for JG and this Kid will be adding a #24 to his autograph.

Andy DeNardi
@andy-denardi
10 years ago
365 posts
That's an impressive win but I'm still holding my breath. There have been a lot of sons of star drivers that opened big and faded away fairly rapidly. I'm guessing that Bill raised his boy right, and NASCAR's gonna need some new names soon. So I'm pulling for him but I'll wait until he gets to Cup and see how his first two years go.You have to be good to keep Kyle Busch behind you, even if you have a faster car.
Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
10 years ago
3,259 posts

From what I saw of the race it was not a cake walk for Chase. Those last few laps had Kyle way up on the wheel digging..

Bobby Williamson
@bobby-williamson
10 years ago
907 posts

Chase is very impressive.....I remember another racer, who skipped his high school graduation, to race his midget in ESPN'sThursday Night Thunder Series..........Jeff Gordon.

Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
10 years ago
3,119 posts

But Chase is failing math!!!!

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
10 years ago
3,259 posts

If you are #1 math not needed, all other positions are dividable.

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
10 years ago
9,137 posts

Looks like multiplication is where he'll excel. His stock is displaying exponential growth.

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
10 years ago
3,119 posts

But I was thinking about having to add all those dollars together every week.

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
10 years ago
3,259 posts

Bet Daddy will console him on that Remember he was million Dollar Bill