Doesnt look like anyone watched the show Sat. nite

Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
10 years ago
3,259 posts

There was a race Saturday nite at a track of interest,anyone see it?

There was also a Saturday nite at the fights segment also,anyone see it?

There was a good finish also shown on tv at the race,anyone see it?

There was the 2014 issue of tires also,anyone see that?

updated by @johnny-mallonee: 12/26/16 06:41:26AM
Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
10 years ago
3,259 posts

Yall must be following the Kim and Kayne West soap opera because no one is making any noise of interest on here......... !

N.B. Arnold
@nb-arnold
10 years ago
121 posts
The answer to all your questions is yes but the race I saw was at Bowman Gray Stadium! But that is another thing with more to come on it later.
Eric Cardona
@eric-cardona
10 years ago
196 posts

I was stuck at Rockfish. I got 2 big wrecks on film, one near-flip and one flip, RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME!

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
10 years ago
9,137 posts

I think I saw a kangaroo punch thrown Saturday night. Darned hectic racing on the final restarts. If Humpy was still promoting Charlotte, we'd see the Australian in the start/finish line ring during prerace!

They gotta do something about those right front tires. Can't have the car catching fire on every blowout. Why were the pit crews sending the cars back on the track with the darned things on fire anyway?

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
10 years ago
9,137 posts

NASCAR vice president of competition Robin Pemberton said officials watched the incident video after the race and that more study and conversation will follow before a determination is made about possible penalties."We're looking at the video," Pemberton said. "It doesn't seem to be much. We'll take a look Monday and Tuesday."We don't think it was anything too severe. We'll get all the footage we can and look at it and see what happens from there."

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
10 years ago
9,137 posts

The racing at Richmond Saturday night was quite a show. About as good as it gets!

And from what I read in the Winston-Salem Journal, racing at the Madhouse was quite a show for Burt Myers. http://www.journalnow.com/sports/auto_racing/bowman_gray/burt-myers-wins-opener-at-bowman-gray/article_69c66102-cdbe-11e3-b029-0017a43b2370.html

--
Jay Coker
@jay-coker
10 years ago
177 posts

Well now we know that Marcos Ambrose can punch his way out of a wet paper bag.

Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
10 years ago
3,119 posts

I watched from lap 47 on. Had a commitment that caused me to miss the first few laps. I will address some of the issues in The Legendtorial Tuesday night, especially the tire situation as I see it. Join us and see how much trouble I can get myself into. Racing was as good as it gets, especially since the jap traps lost.

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

Devin
@devin
10 years ago
618 posts

I saw continuous tires offire, a wreck waiting to happen between Brad and Matt and a live punch. Matt's blocking could've taken all four cars out at the end. Luckily, it only allowed Joey a win. All in all, a good race.

Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
10 years ago
3,259 posts

a good summary there M'Lady

Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
10 years ago
3,119 posts

Dennis, the Nationwide race was set to be shown on ESPNNews for reasons totally unknown to me. It kept raining and they kept delaying it. Finally, at 10:00 p.m. the track was dried and the race got underway. It was said, at the start of the race, that at 10:30 the broadcast would switch to ESPN2 or 3 or 88 or whatever, so ESPNNews could cover other "sports". The race was finally over about 12:40 with Kevin Harvick having dominated but Chase Elliott coming in second. It was a good race in spite of the Harvick domination. When the flag dropped, I immediately turned off the television and went to bed so I didn't see the post race interviews. The K&N race that was scheduled to be run after the Nationwide Friday night was rescheduled for 9:00 a.m. Saturday morning.

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
10 years ago
4,073 posts

A driver named Cole Cluster won the K&N race in car #00.

Another driver named Nick Drake raced a #15 Toyota and with the same sponsor as Cluster (guessing they're teammates).

Hmm, where have we seen that sponsor, manufacturer and two car numbers before?

And young Chase Elliott is lighting it up with 2 wins and a second place in his last 3 starts. And his sponsor?

Yep, NAPA seems to have turned the corner and is back to winning ways.

--
Schaefer: It's not just for racing anymore.
Bobby Williamson
@bobby-williamson
10 years ago
907 posts

No, I did not see any racing from Richmond, Friday, Saturday or otherwise. Went dirt racing Saturday night at the Dublin (NC) Motor Speedway. No way I'm gonna set home and watch NASCAR on the toob, at the expense of my local track.... NO WAY.And the next NASCAR Saturday night race, I'll do the same thing again.

Tommie  Clinard
@tommie-clinard
10 years ago
209 posts

I saw it Johnny. No comments from some of the most vocal folks. Maybe they didn't see it. But anyway PLEASE let us be a little kinder to our one time competitors. They love racing just like we do. Maybe they get a little more excited than we do but do we have to make fun of them for that? I enjoy seeing someone get real excited about a race. That only means that they are really enjoying it. That's good. Do we criticize someone because they are enjoying themselves? What do our young people think of us if we criticize these people. Are we making race fans out of them? I only wish that my racing record read like some of these that we continue to criticize over and over. Let us try to be a little kinder and give some of these folks credit for what they have contributed to racing. You never know who may be listening. It may be my grandson.....or yours.

bill mcpeek
@bill-mcpeek
10 years ago
820 posts

so well spoken Tommie, Thank you for saying what I was thinking and saying it like the true gentleman you are.....

Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
10 years ago
3,259 posts

NOT FOR SURE ---B U T --- I think I got the point across.... Thank you to the ones that responded and to those who didnt,well im sorry ,plain and simple !!

Tommie  Clinard
@tommie-clinard
10 years ago
209 posts

Thank you Bill. I have always found it easier to tell about the good side of someone rather than degrading them.

Tommie  Clinard
@tommie-clinard
10 years ago
209 posts

BOBBY, I wish that I could attend every race that my grandson ran but due to health reasons I cannot attend them all. I am sure that there are many others that are in the same boat as I am in.

I attended many races some three days in a row during my driving years (21). I paid my dues. But now old age is catching up and bringing health issues my way so I have to leave it to the younger generation and thank the Lord for races on TV.

I really do miss the smell of a racing engine firing off and then the sound of it and finally taking to the track. It still gives me goose bumps.

I hope that you are able to do it for a long time. It is really hard to give it up.

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
10 years ago
9,137 posts

Tommie, there are others of us in the same boat who can no longer sit in the stands or stand in the infield all afternoon or all night on Friday or Saturday due to health issues. Bobby... as Tommie says, enjoy it while you can. Just because we can't attend doesn't make us any less of a fan. There is nothing like the smell or heart pounding vibration. I'm sure most of us who don't go really miss it - although I'll NEVER, EVER miss having to endure through 7 divisions on the same night.

--
bill mcpeek
@bill-mcpeek
10 years ago
820 posts

Dave, I agree on the to many classes. A couple years ago I was running in South Florida in the summer no less and there was 6 divisions. I was in the car buckled up and the class ahead of us had 7 cars that was still running. They had 8 cautions in 12 laps and I started the car and was ready to head for the pits before I passed out. Soon as I got the motor started the announcer said next flag ends it so I stayed. It was 2:30 before I got home and I slept all the next day.

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
10 years ago
9,137 posts

May 1, 2:00 PM EDT

Richard Petty upset over Ambrose' $25,000 fine

CONCORD, N.C. (AP) -- Marcos Ambrose says he understands the $25,000 fine NASCAR levied against him for punching Casey Mears in the face.

"I got myself in a bad situation, didn't I?" Ambrose said during an appearance at Charlotte Motor Speedway. "I caused an action that NASCAR needed to reprimand, so I'm happy to pay it, and I'm happy to move on. It's a heavy fine. It's the biggest fine I've ever received in racing. I think that NASCAR needed to do something."

His car owner wholeheartedly disagrees.

Richard Petty argued Thursday that Ambrose shouldn't be fined for defending himself in the post-race altercation at Richmond on Saturday night, and said he plans to discuss the penalty with NASCAR officials.

Mears was fined $15,000 after he angrily approached Ambrose and shoved the Australian when Ambrose appeared to be walking away. Ambrose replied with a hard right to Mears' face that drew blood near his eye.

Ambrose is not appealing and said he will pay the fine.

"No way he should have been fined," Petty said. "What I seen on the TV was that he was trying to get away. The boy kept pushing and shoving and he was trying to get away and finally got cornered and had to come out of that. Is NASCAR saying, `OK, just lay there and get the tar beat out of you, we won't fine you, we'll fine the other guy?' I don't know what their rationale was."

Ambrose does agree with Petty that he was defending himself after Mears shoved him.

"I don't apologize for my actions," said Ambrose. "I was just standing up for myself and my team and my family and letting people know that you can't get in my private space like that and expect to not have any consequences. ... As soon as he grabbed hold of me there, I knew I was going to have to get a shot in. I was just waiting for the right moment."

Ambrose finished 18th in Saturday night's race and Mears was 19th. They were far enough back from the leaders that television cameras got no footage of their on-track battle for position and what led to the altercation remains a mystery.

Ambrose insisted Thursday he was never angry with Mears, and was actually on his way to speak to David Gilliland about something that had occurred on the track.

"I was confused about why Casey was so annoyed at me, and I think you can just see a lot of the passion that the drivers have and the commitment we have to try to win these races and try to run up front," Ambrose said. "That passion kind of got out of hand and got out of control pretty quick. Once he put his hand on me and started pushing me around, I was just trying to stand up for myself and my country and my family and my reputation."

As for the punch, which knocked Mears' hat from atop his head, Ambrose said: "I was actually fairly lucid in my thoughts and was able to get a good punch off because I wasn't bound up with too much adrenaline."

--