Tony Stewart hits and kills driver at dirt track Saturday night

Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
10 years ago
3,119 posts

Information just coming out on some news feeds, specifically Yahoo Sports, is that Tony Stewart was racing on a dirt track near Watkins Glen last night (Saturday) when he touched a car driven by a 20 year old local driver. The car spun. The driver got out of the car and walked down the track to await Tony's return under the yellow flag. Witness say the 20 year old "gestured at Tony" and Tony gunned his engine causing the rear end of his car to "kick out" striking the young driver and throwing him down the track. The driver was pronounced dead at the hospital where he had been transported by ambulance.

Spokesman for Stewart-Haas racing issued the expected statement as to how sad they are about the incident. At this time there are no charges pending against Tony but an investigation is on going.

This comes on the expectation that Tony would earn his berth in "The Chase" with a win at The Glen.

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

updated by @tim-leeming: 08/08/18 03:50:21AM
Devin
@devin
10 years ago
618 posts

I watched the video. The track was dimly lit. It looks like a horrible accident to me.

My thoughts are with all involved.

Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
10 years ago
3,119 posts

As are mine, Devin. I didn't watch the video. I heard, a bit ago, that the video was pulled from YouTube.

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

Devin
@devin
10 years ago
618 posts

One may have been removed. A search revealed two on the subject. The first one is just some guy talking and the second reveals the accident. The angle does not indicate what really happened at impact nor does it indicate Mr. Stewart revved his engine as he went by. At least I'm not seeing it. Very sad.

Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
10 years ago
3,119 posts

Good work, Devin, as usual.

--

Devin
@devin
10 years ago
618 posts

Just wanted to find the truth about the accident after reading all reports this morning.

Christopher Krul
@christopher-krul
10 years ago
119 posts

The sad conclusion I can draw from this is that the driver hit by Stewart should not have been running out on the track to begin with. One of my first reactions was, WHERES SOME OF THE OFFICIALS TRYING TO HOLD HIM BACK?? I watched the video and it was the most disgusting video I ever seen.

bill mcpeek
@bill-mcpeek
10 years ago
820 posts

I guess road rage is now on the track. Seems a couple years ago Tony got out of his car , ran out and threw his helmet at another car. Seems like every race I go to some one gets out of the car and wants to fight BECAUSE the crowd likes it. shame this had to happen but so predictable. crowds are so thin at local tracks the promoters are afraid to ban any driver for anything. I witnessed a driver several years ago wait until the winner parked at the finish line to be interviewed and tried to run him over. He then punched out the security guard and finished the year running at a nearby track..

Harlow Reynolds
@harlow-reynolds
10 years ago
214 posts

I just watched it on Utube<11:45 AM Sun---

Thanks Harlow

Jay Coker
@jay-coker
10 years ago
177 posts

Couple of thoughts...
While I think this was JUST an accident, I believe the whole Nascar "boys have at it" mentality has fueled these kinds of confrontations. Granted this didn't happen in a Nascar-sanctioned race, but it shows how far reaching their influence is with people around the world. Let's face it, Nascar is maybe the most image-conscious sports governing body in the world. Now that this "boys have at it" philosophy has blown up in their face, I am interested in seeing the kneejerk reactions that come from it and what the fallout is. Every situation is different, but back in 1979 there was an accident at Atlanta Motor Speedway where a crew member was awaiting his driver who was leading the race to pit, the driver ran out of gas on pit road coming in for his stop, popped the clutch while trying to refire and the rear gear locked, driver lost control of the car and struck the crew member, an eighteen year old gasman who was launched about 50 feet down pit road an killed instantly. The driver immediately retired from the race and never raced again. Not to say that will be Stewart's career decision; but I also think going forward he has a decision to make- give up the corporate sponsored Nascar world that he supposedly resents and go back to doing what he professes to love: short track racing, or give up what he loves to focus on the sport that allows him the financial means to do what he wants.
I just hope everyone gains some perspective about how life >>>>> racing, and how sad it is something like this had to happen to remind us.

Alex FL Racing Fan
@alex-fl-racing-fan
10 years ago
221 posts

It was 1982 and the driver was Dave Watson. Watson was running strong that day, strong enough to take the lead by staying out during green flag pit stops. He did indeed retire from racing then and there.

Blane Moon
@blane-moon
10 years ago
113 posts

I can understand a drivers "love of racing", but when you reach a higher level of competition, in todays high dollar world of racing, it may be best to stay in the big leagues. Years ago, drivers such as Bobby Allison, raced events to make a living, not strictly for fun. I do feel sorry for the Ward family and Tony!

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
10 years ago
9,137 posts

Tragic... and no amount of 2nd guessing will undo the tragedy.

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
Leon Phillips
@leon-phillips
10 years ago
626 posts

Its just a bad deal bad bad bad just so sad it happend

Bobby Williamson
@bobby-williamson
10 years ago
907 posts

Such a tragedy.... thoughts and prayers.

Jim Streeter
@jim-streeter
10 years ago
242 posts

Stay in the car.

I was in plenty of wrecks, but I stayed in my car until thing settled down.

Robin L. Agner
@robin-l-agner
10 years ago
169 posts

A very tragic accident. It definitely is not the right thing to do but drivers and crew members have been running out on the track after other drivers probably since the first organized race.

JAck Redd
@jack-redd
10 years ago
111 posts

Car No. 13, bad luck or stupid? Humm, a "draw"?

danny whitener
@danny-whitener
10 years ago
47 posts

Sad situation for everybody. I watched the video and my reaction was you dont get out of the car like that, it is a dirt track with not too good lighting, and he was wearing a black or dark racing uniform. I would think Mr Ward was partially responsible for those stated reasons. Im not trying to put the blame on him but he could have taken more precautions. I understand he was probably upset and it is hard to keep your cool but I think it could have been prevented. Again so sorry for the situation, My Thoughts and Prayers to all involved.

Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
10 years ago
3,259 posts

First off you got to understand the attitude a Sprint car has under a caution or at reduced speed as in this scenario plays out. Going straight isnt their best line of tracking and touching the throttle allows the bull to dart which ever way it deems proper or which ever wheel gets traction over the others. The other wrong move is to get out of a Sprintcar and go charging into the oncoming pack.

The age old hindsight yes the car should have moved away from the pedestrian. The driver I think appeared in Tonys View just as he got to the stalled car and the maneuver the car took wasnt correct nor was the running toward a racecar under power. Its almost like a move in the heat of passion,was it good or bad ,who knows it happens so fast with no real planning.

Now I truly hope this doesnt haunt Tony and I sure hope the family and friends of Mr Ward do not hold any lasting grudges. In racing you accept the consequences of what happens on the track and hope all involved do the same.

In racing success is never on discount. Greatness on the track is never on sale. racing Greatness is never half off. Its all or nothing! Greatness in racing is never on discount.....

Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
10 years ago
3,259 posts

If you have never strapped one of these wild weasels on to your behind do not think you can set behind your computer screen and say what did or did not happen .Words have a way of hurting for a long time

I have drove Sprint cars without wings and also those deadly missiles called Skeeters. Racecars are dangerous on a good day so I hope this has others who get Track Rage to think twice before you drop that net and unbuckle to get out before a track steward is there with caution under control..

I think Bill McPeek will attest to what I just wrote

bill mcpeek
@bill-mcpeek
10 years ago
820 posts

I totally agree Johnny, In fact I sold a great running sprint car and went back to vintage modifieds because I never felt like you could be in total control. They are tricky vehicles. I loved to watch the winged Skeeters when the Georgia boys, Cooly Hobbdy, Lonnie Roberts and Richard Smith would come down and run with us around N. Florida.

Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
10 years ago
3,119 posts

Well stated Billy, very well stated.

--

Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
10 years ago
3,259 posts

I slowed the video down almost frame for frame and it looks as though the guy grabbed the wing of tonys car and rode it a piece before he fell ....

Bobby Williamson
@bobby-williamson
10 years ago
907 posts

Agree, Billy, great post.

Devin
@devin
10 years ago
618 posts

Just announced via News Alert: DA states there is no basis for criminal charges to be brought forward.

As Tim stated last evening during "Racing Through History", may the healing begin.

S.T.A.R.S. Radio
@stars-radio
10 years ago
514 posts

Ward was under the influence ofmarijuana