COLUMBIA 200 - August 22, 1968

Dennis Andrews
@dennis-andrews
10 years ago
835 posts

COLUMBIA 200

COLUMBIA, SC. AUGUST 22, 1968

The 16 th Grand Touring race of 1968 was held at Columbia Speedway and was 200 laps on the 1/2 mile dirt oval. The starting grid was determined by random draw but I dont have documentation on it. Buck Baker in a Camaro got his 3 rd victory of the year. Tiny Lund withdrew his Cougar from the event in protest but I dont know why. Bucks win kept him first in the point standings.

Fin Srt Car # Driver Car Laps Reason out

1 87 Buck Baker 68 Camaro 200 Running

2 Bobby Allison 68 Javelin Running

3 3 Jim Vandiver 68 Camaro Running

4 74 Al Straub 68 Mustang Running

5 Ralph Earnhardt 68 Camaro Running

Buck Baker

updated by @dennis-andrews: 12/05/16 04:00:58PM
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
10 years ago
4,073 posts

Race preview from Spartanburg Herald

Race report from Spartanburg Herald

--
Schaefer: It's not just for racing anymore.
Dennis Andrews
@dennis-andrews
10 years ago
835 posts

Thanks Chase, That answers several questions. First time I've seen Bud Moore in a Camaro. Wonder were the #1 Cougar went?

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
10 years ago
9,137 posts

Seems I've read before somewhere about Buck hitting the spectator's car, but had forgotten it. I believe The Legend might have been at sea or at least in Little Creek, Va. at that time, so it would be difficult to pin him as the culprit. How about it, Tim.... where were you on the night of August 22, 1968?

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
10 years ago
9,137 posts

By the way, Buck Baker's first ever NASCAR Grand National win came in 1952 driving a Hudson Hornet - on this same Columbia track - over Lee Petty.

--
FallsCity48
@fallscity48
10 years ago
18 posts

I had posted the following in the discussion 'Catamount Stadium Aug. 21, 1969' earlier regarding the Cougar & Camaro....

As for the sponsor on the car....

The Barbecue King Company, the original smokehouse in Greenville, SC.

Invented in 1954 by R.G. Wilson, founder of the original revolving oven.

Bud later drove a Camaro in the Grand Touring Series (car #1 as well) with the same sponsor that was dark colored. Looked very much like the A.J. King Charger he drove in Grand National Races

After 4 or 5 races in the Cougar, Lil' Bud went to the Camaro for just a few races (the one I'm refering to above).

Have a photo of the Camaro I'll try to to post tonight.

Jack Walker
@jack-walker
10 years ago
162 posts

Dennis - Here is some more detail on the Columbia GT race.

TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
10 years ago
4,073 posts

WOW! Thanks Jack. That's a lot of detail - and a lot of messed up stuff - about what happened that night.Wonder if the parents named their new child "Buck".

--
Schaefer: It's not just for racing anymore.
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
10 years ago
9,137 posts

Interesting that time trials were cancelled due to the lack of an ambulance.

I can recall attending a a weekly race race or two that stopped while an ambulance shuffled someone to the hospital and had to be replaced, but was never at a touring series event where that happened.

--
Jack Walker
@jack-walker
10 years ago
162 posts

Chase, I don't think the name the baby "Buck", but they might have named it "Crash".

FallsCity48
@fallscity48
10 years ago
18 posts

Mr. Dennis, here's the only photo I know of (to date) of Lil' Bud in a Camaro.

It's from 9-31-68 Grand Touring race at Darlington.

Event records for the series were unfortunately badly kept but it does show at least 3 races he drove a Camaro. Click on link below for Bud's 1968 Grand Touring stats.

http://www.thethirdturn.com/wiki/Bud_Moore/Results/NASCAR_Grand_Tou...

Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
10 years ago
3,119 posts

Dave, you are correct. The United States Navy had need of my services on that date so I missed that event. I really can't understand how the race was even held as there is a City ordinance in Cayce that races are NOT allowed at the speedway unless I'm in attendance.

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

bill mcpeek
@bill-mcpeek
10 years ago
820 posts

What! you never told the Navy when and where you would be sent.? Must have been before you became famous. lol...