What's the worst race you've watched besides there being a death?

Eric Cardona
@eric-cardona
10 years ago
196 posts

Anytime a jap car wins.

updated by @eric-cardona: 12/05/16 04:00:58PM
Dennis  Garrett
@dennis-garrett
10 years ago
560 posts

TODAY'S NATIONWIDE RACES THAT HAS 1/2 EMPTY STANDS AND SPRINT CUP DRIVERS WINNING ALL THE NATIONWIDE RACES !!

Thanks for any information or photos posted.
Dennis Garrett
Richmond,Va.USA

bill mcpeek
@bill-mcpeek
10 years ago
820 posts

great answer Dennis, I totally agree.....

Russell Rector
@russell-rector
10 years ago
80 posts

Every NASCAR race since they allowed Toyota to enter them!

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
10 years ago
9,137 posts

I've never been to a bad race anywhere at any track in any division. As soon as the engines cranked and the ground rumbled and my heart pounded and the smell of burning rubber and fuel was in the air, it was a very good afternoon or evening.

However, these last ten years, I've been bored to tears trying to watch any NASCAR division races on television with the follow-the-leader, no passing, no side-by-side competition and the stupid lucky dog and wave around rules that negate great drivers making up laps.

When I see a driver like Danica Patrick passed by the leaders dozens of times, never make up a lap racing to get back by the leader, yet finish on the lead lap, I might as well play a spin the arrow stock car racing game as attend or watch on television. They've turned the events into pure contrived exhibitions, not races anymore.

One of the most thrilling things in racing was to watch a driver start on the tail end of the lead lap and try to maintain the position. Now that's all gone. Somehow, NASCAR has managed to turn just about every race into a fuel mileage bore. Next year we'll be subjected to the announcers guessing if the drivers are changing their track bars. We'll probably have different colored lights on the screen to tell us when it happens.

Just bring back the racing and cut the crud. All of today's NASCAR races suck.

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
Dennis Andrews
@dennis-andrews
10 years ago
835 posts

"contrived exhibitions, not races"

Just can't say it any better than that. Amen Dave,

Andy DeNardi
@andy-denardi
10 years ago
365 posts
It hasn't been run yet but will be the Fall Talladega race this year. It's a restrictor plate race which has its own problems but it's also a Chase elimination race this year.Everybody is going to be tip-toeing around the track, making sure that they don't cause the big wreck that takes out a chase driver. Especially a wreck that takes out Harvick, Earnhardt, Gordon or Keselowski. A win won't mean much to anyone who isn't in the running for the championship so the risk is too great to bull your way to the front and cause a wreck on the way. Even if you have two guys fighting for position for the last cutoff spot, it's a plate race and skill doesn't really come into play as much as pit work.
Sandeep Banerjee
@sandeep-banerjee
10 years ago
360 posts

The 2005 Formula 1 US Grand Prix at Indianapolis. Basically, it was a situation similar to the first Talladega race except in this case, only the Michelin tyres were affected. So all the Michelin teams pulled in to the pits, leaving only the 6 Bridgestone shod cars to run the 'race'. It was a huge blow to F1's popularity in the US.

Andy DeNardi
@andy-denardi
10 years ago
365 posts

I remember the buildup to that race and didn't watch because it seemed like it would be a poor race. Three years later, Goodyear and NASCAR nearly replicated the story and cars were forced to pit every ten laps. The prestige of the Brickyard 400 has been sinking ever since.

Sandeep Banerjee
@sandeep-banerjee
10 years ago
360 posts

Funny how Indy was the common denominator in both races, despite being words apart. Almost like the track itself doesn't want anything except Indycars to race on it.

What's worse is those cautions every 10 laps probably put on better racing than a typical Brickyard 400 green flag run.

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
10 years ago
9,137 posts

That Indy F-1 was indeed a stinker, Sandeep, along with the NASCAR Indy race cited by Andy.

--
Christopher Krul
@christopher-krul
10 years ago
119 posts

12 Hours of Sebring last year where most of the race was under full course yellow.

Leon Phillips
@leon-phillips
10 years ago
626 posts

I would say the year they started puting fake head lights on race cars man that SUCKS

Alex FL Racing Fan
@alex-fl-racing-fan
10 years ago
221 posts

I hate to break this to you, but that was this year. Some of those yellows lasted for almost an hour...

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
10 years ago
9,137 posts

Oh, Leon, my man.... you have hit on a pet peeve of mine. I just hate those silly fake headlight and tail light decals. This is NASCAR, not sporty car racing where the cars kept their headlights and tail lights. I always appreciated the workmanship of the headlight covers devised by the fabricators that made the cars look like "real" race cars.

You have made me remember a story Bud Moore told me about sporty car driver George Follmer driving 11 Cup races for Bud in 1974, including the Daytona 500. Bud said he just knew Follmer was braking going into the Dayton turns, but swore he wasn't. Bud finally rigged up a brake light on his #15 during 500 practice and watched as it came on every time George drove down into turn 1 at Daytona, proving what Bud thought and Follmer had denied.

--
Sandeep Banerjee
@sandeep-banerjee
10 years ago
360 posts

One day, looking at a close up shot of a Kawasaki during a World Superbike broadcast, I noticed fake headlight decals on it too. Manufacturers just can't pass up an opportunity to gain brand identity these days I guess.

TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
10 years ago
4,073 posts
1992 spring ATL race. Local favorite (though not mine) Bill Elliott was running way behind the leaders. The Georgia contingent wasn't happy,but I had a smirk on my face. The leaders made green flag stops - and suddenly the caution flag flew. Elliott hadn't yet made his stop. He made his stop under yellow and pinned the rest of the field a lap down. I don't remember the rundown. All I know is Bill stroked it the test of the day to an easy win to the delight of the crowd and my agony.Adding insult to injury was our seat location and lunch arrangements. Granted, tickets were free so I can't chirp too much there. But we were on about the 7th or 8th row on the front stretch as they came out of turn 4. All race long, we were peppered in the face with gravel grit and tire marbles.A couple of friends went with us. True racing noobs. They agreed to provide lunch in exchange for their tickets. Rather than bring ready made sandwiches, they brought loaf bread, mayo, cheese and a pack of bologna.Ever tried to build a sammich in the wind wake of cars storming by a few feet away? And though I finally got mine assembled, it shouldn't have had a crunch factor. Yet it did because of the grit that landed in my mayo slathered onto my white bread. For you younger RR members, we still had a few years to go before squeeze bottle mayo made the scene.

--
Schaefer: It's not just for racing anymore.
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
10 years ago
9,137 posts

I bet dem sammiches would have tasted a darned sight better if it had been the #43 pinning the field a lap down! A money saving reminder here, too, for the younger fans, Chase... don't spend the extra money on "crunchy" peanut butter when sitting in the first ten rows!

--