Charlotte Begs Banks to Forgive $21 Million NASCAR Hall of Fame Loan

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
9 years ago
9,137 posts

Our local Charlotte NASCAR Hall of Fame dominated the upper fold of today's Saturday Charlotte Observer front page, along with coverage of the Carolina Panthers NFL playoff game here this afternoon against Arizona.

The NASCAR Hall of Fame story is not a pretty one. Most are familiar with how local Charlotte officials (no longer employed by Charlotte) cut back room deals with two banks and NASCAR, using incredibly inflated attendance projections to secure financing and win the bid to locate the NHOF here in the Queen City.

The NASCAR Hall of Fame is located next door to the multi-story NASCAR Office Building, many of whose NASCAR tenants have now relocated back to newer digs in Daytona Beach across from the Speedway. The NASCAR Office Building is also the temporary home to the corporate headquarters of the Chiquita Banana folks, to whom Charlotte gave millions of dollars three years ago to move from the other Queen City - Cincinnati, Ohio. Unfortunately for our local taxpayers, Chiquita has been acquired by a South American consortium and the distinctive Chiquita logo on the side adjacent to the NASCAR logo will soon come down.

Current Charlotte city officials are now attempting to have the two banks involved in the financing forgive one of the construction loans, which with updated interest now amounts to $21 Million. There is no guarantee they'll be successful, but maybe with all the bad publicity Bank of America and Wells Fargo have generated the past several years for the billions in Federal government fines, perhaps they'll see this as a chance to placate the locality that is home to two huge downtown bank skyscrapers and home to thousands of Charlotte employees.

The NASCAR Hall of Fame is an impressive facility. My personal opinion continues that neither the NHOF staff nor the City of Charlotte have figured how to advertise and market this jewel. I sure hope that changes.

A RacersReunion outing to the NASCAR Hall of Fame is scheduled for Saturday, January 10, 2015. I hope the group is large. It is an enjoyable place to visit and the interaction with fellow race fans and racers can't be beat.

Council to hear proposed changes to NASCAR hall loan

Random
MARK HAMES - mhames@charlotteobserver.com

Efforts to persuade two banks to forgive a $19.1 million loan to the city of Charlotte that helped build the NASCAR Hall of Fame appear to have made progress, with City Council members set to hear about proposed amendments on Monday to that agreement.

On Friday, Deputy City Manager Ron Kimble wouldnt talk about the proposed amendment or the negotiations, saying council members needed to be updated first on the so-called sponsorship loan and another agreement concerning NASCAR royalties.

But an agenda item that Kimble wrote for Mondays meeting suggests that some agreement has been reached, with council members hearing the proposed changes. They wont take action until their Jan. 12 meeting.

In November, the Observer reported that the city and the Charlotte Regional Visitors Authority, which manages the racing museum, had begun negotiations with Wells Fargo and Bank of America to forgive the loan. Growing to $21 million with interest, it was supposed to be repaid from the sale of sponsorships and commemorative bricks. Yet money from those two sources hasnt come close to paying off the loan.

When the hall opened in 2010, NASCAR was supposed to get royalties on such items as tickets, T-shirts, and food and drinks but only if the museum was making money.

The facility has lost money, according to the CRVA. It lost $1.4 million for the fiscal year that ended in June, and $1.6 million the previous fiscal year. But CRVA leaders are hopeful that the halls finances are stabilizing with attendance essentially leveling off.

Still, no royalties to NASCAR have been paid.

Kimble wrote as background in his agenda that the city, CRVA, NASCAR and the two banks have discussed strategies by which the financial performance of the Hall of Fame could be enhanced through mutual participation of all parties.

He declined to elaborate Friday.

But Wells Fargo spokeswoman Elise Wilkinson said the bank is working closely with the city to reach a solution with regards to the sponsorship loan. She said the bank continues to support the hall.

Bank of America spokeswoman Nicole Nastacie said the bank doesnt typically comment on client relationships.

There is precedent to such loan restructuring. Four years ago, the U.S. National Whitewater Center persuaded banks to forgive much of its $38 million in construction debt.

Most of the $200 million hall is being paid for by a special 2 percent hotel/motel occupancy tax. However, the city and CRVA got the sponsorship loan and a second $20 million construction loan that is backed by the revenue from expected sales of city-owned land near the hall. Sale of that land near Interstate 277 stalled during the recession, but the city has started selling some parcels, including a 3.6-acre parcel across from the hall.

The discussions with the two banks about forgiving the sponsorship loan began last April, when Kimble emailed a now-retired Wells Fargo executive Carlos Evans to ask if the bank would consider the request. Kimble wrote that he hoped they could agree on extinguishment of the sponsorship loan before the executive retired.

A week later, Evans wrote a reply that he and others had discussed options for resolving the debt.

We realize the hall is a problem, Evans wrote. We are willing to do our appropriate share in helping put the hall on an even financial footing as we realize the hall benefits this community on many different levels.

He said none of the banks proposals involved a full forgiveness of debt. ... That would tilt the scales too far with the banks doing way more than others in a situation where we all need to be sharing the pain .

Staff Writers Steve Harrison, Eric Frazier and Rick Rothacker contributed.

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2015/01/02/5421267/council-to-hear-proposed-changes.html#storylink=cpy

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"

updated by @dave-fulton: 12/04/20 11:23:24AM
Bobby Williamson
@bobby-williamson
9 years ago
907 posts

Well, as long as the NASCAR-racing-loan-forgiveness-bug is going around, seems like the paltry.......... 4 something million dollar Rockingham Speedway loan could get forgiven, as it too "......benefits its community on many different levels....." Not!

Alex FL Racing Fan
@alex-fl-racing-fan
9 years ago
221 posts

NASCAR: screwing the taxpayers since 1957

Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
9 years ago
3,259 posts

Wow All this forgiveness -- our beloved Nascar is going down hill in a paper basket.

Us older members of the dirt era never heard of anything such as this, Or at least I never heard of it openly. True there were some good drinking lightening massaged around to keep some things quiet but there are some things lately that are way out on a limb. You never hear anything but millions talked about by people in high places that are tied to paved racetracks. And guess what 90% are in default or just plain bankrupt. Im just sad that the current owners have let their tracks deteriorate to this point, and then that bunch that built the museum and the corporate offices with no thought of the real future or how this would be repaid.. True they was supposed to have tenants to amply repay the loans BUT no back up that I see for repayment. And then go in and ask for forgiveness like the good book says? It too has rules for that .. You got me going on this. My dad and his associates were contractors and played the money game but never was it this far upside down. There was always a back up and it was upfront and legal. I truly hope ones with deep pockets stand up and take care of this as others in middle Ga took care of theirs. "God help our Sport"

Cody Dinsmore
@cody-dinsmore
9 years ago
589 posts

I think it would've succeeded if it was built in Daytona near the track.....or if it had to have been in Charlotte, atleast make itnearthe actual track. Where the racefans travel to, not the business district.

JAck Redd
@jack-redd
9 years ago
111 posts

My thoughts are the same as yours Cody.

Andy DeNardi
@andy-denardi
9 years ago
365 posts

The only motorsports hall of fames I've visited are Talladega and Indianapolis. Coincidentally, both were at the track. I'm close enough to Charlotte but haven't been. My excuse is that I don't want to hassle with, and pay for, downtown parking.

The baseball, football and basketball HOFs are not near any major stadium that I can think of, yet they all do well. I don't think being in Charlotte is the problem, I think it's that NASCAR has made a point of turning away from the longtime fans who would be interested in the history of the sport. A lack of respect for the induction process has hurt them also.

My own opinion is that it would have more prestige if it included all American motorsports. I'd be very interested in a three branch setup with exhibits that rotated between Riverside, Indianapolis and Daytona. Sort of a Smithsonian Institute of Racing.

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
9 years ago
9,137 posts

Kevin Siers, Charlotte Observer , Jan. 6, 2015

--
Leon Phillips
@leon-phillips
9 years ago
626 posts

Well for me i will be there Sat for the 3erd or 4 th time i realy like it but i hope they have added some new stuff the main reson i hope it makes it is that i no some people who are involved in it for them i hope it works out

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
9 years ago
9,137 posts

I hope this Saturday's get together is a good one... it always is!

--
Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
9 years ago
3,259 posts

And NOW it seems as though Nascar is going to forgive Charlotte, the city,with a waiver of over 3 million they say the city owes Nascar. Boy Ive heard of sleeping with the enemy but this is getting deep in someones pocket..

Maybe our illustrious group of dig uppers can bring life to this or at least explain whos who in this game dialing for dollars....

Bobby Williamson
@bobby-williamson
9 years ago
907 posts

I'm with ya, Johnny. What is the world supposed to do, stand up and applaud NASCAR for the 'generosity' over their own white-elephant?

Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
9 years ago
3,119 posts

Johnny, tune in to the Legendtorial Tuesday night as I am, in part, addressing this very issue. Bobby, I truly do not believe this is NASCAR's White Elephant. But then I was never in the world of high finance. I only know what I'm told by sources who should know.

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

Bobby Williamson
@bobby-williamson
9 years ago
907 posts

If it walks like a duck......

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
9 years ago
9,137 posts

Unable to join my wonderful friends at this past Saturday's get together at the NHOF, I haven't seen the new items on display. Through the grapevine, I understand that NASCAR has recognized Tim for all the money he has spent with them since the 50s. He is truly a Legend!

--
Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
9 years ago
3,259 posts

Ouch !!!

bill mcpeek
@bill-mcpeek
9 years ago
820 posts

lol, cant be Tim, The lips aren't moving......

Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
9 years ago
3,119 posts

Thanks, Bill. You are very correct!!!

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
9 years ago
4,073 posts

Found this to be interesting. NASCAR made the final choice as to which city would house its Hall of Fame. Now International Speedway Corporation has paid the Motorsports Hall Of Fame to relo from Michigan to Daytona?

http://espn.go.com/racing/story/_/id/12218093/mark-martin-inductees-motorsports-hall-fame

Mark Martin a Hall of Fame inductee

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. -- Retired NASCAR driver Mark Martin and former motocross star Ricky Carmichael are among the 2015 inductees into the Motorsports Hall of Fame of America.

The seven-member class also includes off-road racer Walker Evans, six-time NHRA champion Warren Johnson and four-time Trans-Am Series champion Tommy Kendall. It also includes two deceased drivers, Duke Nalon (sprint and midget cars) and Lloyd Ruby (USAC).

"This year's class truly reflects the wide range of American motorsports, which has always been the foundation for our facility," said Ron Watson, president of the Hall of Fame. "These gentlemen achieved success on two wheels and four, on dirt and pavement, on every kind of track -- plus off the road entirely."

Kendall and Carmichael were present for Friday's announcement.

"A lot of the names on this year's Hall of Fame are heroes of mine," Kendall said. "It doesn't really compute. I've been lucky to have good things happen during my career. To be mentioned with names like that ... at the end of the day it's nice to be recognized for the work you did."

Added Carmichael: "As a kid growing up racing dirt bikes, I never would have thought something like this was possible for me. To be in the company of some of the greatest names in motorsports is surreal."

The 27th class will be inducted June 18 at Detroit's Fillmore Theater. The Hall, currently located in Novi, Michigan, is moving to Daytona International Speedway in January 2016. The move coincides with the scheduled completion of the track's $400 million renovation.

--
Schaefer: It's not just for racing anymore.
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
9 years ago
9,137 posts

Had the exact same thought, Chase, when I read this the other day. No different, though - I reckon, than also already having the IMHOF at Talladega and the NMPA Hall of Fame/ Joe Weatherly Museum at Darlington - both ISC properties. When there is a $ to be made....

--
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
9 years ago
4,073 posts

Difference to me is the Weatherly museum was founded in 1964 or so and IMHOF founded in 1980s - well before NHOF in Charlotte. In this latest example, ISC is investing in the relocation and reestablishment of the Motorsports HOF AFTER the NHOF was opened and began hemorrhaging money. Guessing the banks and city of Charlotte might prefer NASCAR/ISC write them a check to help pay down the debt vs. paying to relo an existing museum from elsewhere.

--
Schaefer: It's not just for racing anymore.
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
9 years ago
9,137 posts

Yeah... and they own all of those buildings, too... except the one in Charlotte.

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
9 years ago
9,137 posts

Maybe the Charlotte Regional Visitors Authority knows something we Charlotte taxpayers don't... they are currently running a classified ad to hire a maintenance technician at the NASCAR Hall of Fame who is proficient in the REMOVAL of exhibits!

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
9 years ago
9,137 posts

"Lies, damned lies & statistics....."

When I opened my Charlotte paper in my driveway this morning to the front page, I was informed of more lies and deceptions foisted upon Charlotte residents by our City officials and the NASCAR crowd regarding the Hall of Fame. Why should I be surprised that both politicians and NASCAR folk would practice deception?

NASCAR Hall of Fame sponsorships fall to $110,000 from $1.5 million

• Jeff Siner - jsiner@charlotteobserver.com
    The Wells Fargo logo is displayed on a video board outside the NASCAR Hall of Fame on Tuesday. Two of the Halls biggest sponsors were Bank of America and Wells Fargo, which will continue to sponsor the Hall but wont have to pay.

MORE INFORMATION

• NASCAR SPONSORSHIP LOAN REVENUE BY YEAR

FY 2011 $1.49 million

FY 2012 $1.33 million

FY 2013 $1.33 million

FY 2014 $666,250

FY 2015 $490,417

FY 2016* $110,000

*Fiscal year starts in July

A review of the NASCAR Hall of Fames commitments for sponsorships shows projected revenue is declining significantly, dropping from $1.5million in 2012 to $110,000 for the fiscal year starting in July.

The loss of sponsorship revenue could further explain why Bank of America and Wells Fargo recently agreed to a deal in which they would forgive $17.6million in interest and principal from a Hall-related loan in exchange for a $5million payment.

The reason: The banks chances of getting their money back were more grim than the city outlined to City Council.

When the city made a presentation to council members in January, Deputy City Manager Ron Kimble said it would take about 40 years to pay off the $19.1million loan, at the present rate of sponsorship revenue, which he said was about $500,000.

The $19.1million loan was to be paid back from the sale of commemorative bricks and sponsorships, and the banks had no other source of collateral.

But unless the Hall is able to increase sponsorships, that 40-year window outlined by the city would have been a mirage.

At the rate of $110,000 a year, the Hall would have fallen further and further behind because of accumulating interest.

In addition, the Hall also has financial obligations to its sponsors, which include free facility rentals and tickets. In fiscal year 2014, that cost the Hall just less than $93,000.

Tom Murray, chief executive of the Charlotte Regional Visitors Authority, said the Hall now is focused on selling new sponsorships to help its bottom line. Under the deal reached with the banks, all sponsorship money in the future can go to pay the Halls bills.

But he said it will be a challenge.

We dont think we will be selling sponsorships at the $1million range, Murray said during an interview. The sponsorship world in general is challenging today. (Businesses) are looking for more of a return on their investment.

Some of the Halls initial sponsors, such as Belk, Sunoco and M&M, have let sponsorships expire.

Two of the biggest Hall of Fame sponsors were Bank of America and Wells Fargo, which each paid $150,000 last year. Under the deal reached with the city, the two banks will continue to sponsor the Hall but wont have to pay.

Kimble told council members that the agreement that sponsorship money will support Hall operations along with royalties that no longer have to be paid to NASCAR will help the Hall come close to breaking even.

It can almost bring the Hall to a break-even proposition, Kimble said.

For the sport overall, Sprint announced last year that it would end its sponsorship of NASCARs premier Cup series after the 2016 season.

Aside from that decision, NASCAR just completed a search for another sponsor, announcing a 10-year deal in September for Comcasts Xfinity brand to sponsor its second-tier series beginning this season, replacing Nationwide Insurance.

Nationwide elected to direct its involvement in the sport to the Cup series, where it will sponsor the sports most popular driver, Dale Earnhardt Jr., in several races this season.

In addition, Camping World, which sponsors the Truck series, recently announced it had extended its partnership with NASCAR through the 2022 season.

Overall, NASCAR officials say corporate sponsorship is up 11percent over last season.

There have been several new sponsorship announcements during this weeks Charlotte Motor Speedway Media Tour, but some high-profile teams, such as Roush Fenway Racing and Richard Petty Motorsports, still need sponsorship for some of their primary drivers.

--