Could the torch be Passing to another in Sprint Cup?

Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
14 years ago
3,259 posts
With Kevin winning today this locks him in to the chase.Now the question is who will be his competition, you tell me please
updated by @johnny-mallonee: 12/05/16 04:04:08PM
Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
14 years ago
3,119 posts
I believe Denny Hamlin will be the main source of competition for the cup but I would not count Jimmie Johnson out either.

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

Ernest Sutton
@ernest-sutton
14 years ago
181 posts
I certainly hope so...............I'm getting tired of seeing Chad Knaus win championships.
Ernest Sutton
@ernest-sutton
14 years ago
181 posts
Well, there is certainly one thing that I absolutely agree with you about, Robbie. A Sprint Cup championship ain't what it used to be. I have no idea who came up with the bright idea of this joke they call the "Chase", but it is one of the absolute worst ideas that NASCAR has ever hatched (I suspect Sir Brian France had a part in it). The drivers do have to have a certain level of performance in order to make the "Chase", but to base a whole season championship on a 10-race schedule is one of the dumbest things I have heard of. I would almost be embarrassed to claim a season championship based on that.By the way, Robbie, I agree with the other things you said, too. And you're right, Dave Marcis was the last of a dying breed..........I think Dale Earnhardt & Richard Childress recognized this & tried to help him as much as they could.
Cody Dinsmore
@cody-dinsmore
14 years ago
589 posts
I'm not really a fan of Harvick, would like to see Hamlin or Stewart win it....but not Johnson. I honestly believe that Johnson sandbags until the chase. I mean look at his records, won nearly all chase races every year! I hate the Chase. If it wern't for that, Johnson would have never won 4 championships....
Ernest Sutton
@ernest-sutton
14 years ago
181 posts
Got that right................and if it weren't for Chad Knaus, it never would have happened either. It's kind of a sad state of affairs when the CC gets more credit than the driver ------------ by the way, I don't mean to take anything away from any of you ex-crew chiefs out there..........yours is one of the most important jobs at the track & you deserve all the credit you get. I just believe that in this particular situation, there are many drivers who could have driven that car to championships............some could probably have done an even better job. Cody Dinsmore said:
I'm not really a fan of Harvick, would like to see Hamlin or Stewart win it....but not Johnson. I honestly believe that Johnson sandbags until the chase. I mean look at his records, won nearly all chase races every year! I hate the Chase. If it wern't for that, Johnson would have never won 4 championships....
Jerry Williams2
@jerry-williams2
14 years ago
17 posts
The Chase was created by NASCAR as just another venue to stuff their over flowing pockets. NASCAR long ago began making it more about the money and less about the sport of racing. When in the last 30 or so years has a new track been designed for good racing and not arround how many seats they could fit in? NASCAR is sucking the life out of the SPORT of true racing and true racers, the heros are gone and under NASCARs current leadership they will never be allowed to exisit again. I find it impossible to make a hero out of an 18 year old 130 pound kid who is there ( allthough he can drive a race car ) just because of his last name or his daddys money. Just my 2cents worth. May GOD Bless
Ernest Sutton
@ernest-sutton
14 years ago
181 posts
AMEN.
Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
14 years ago
3,259 posts
Well jerry did strike one something there---the way jerry came up you had to be a real man to hustle a car around a track for a couple of hundred laps on a half mile or longer track----THATS DIRT--- now these cars today have power steering and air conditioned suits and a car that will almost drive itself the way they so precisely set them up.. Jerry had to man handle a car that wanted to either spin out or hit the fence on the straightaway and the floorboard was usually hotter than grandmas wood stove. You know you drove in these conditions after towing for four or five hours to get to the track. Now wonder how I knew about those things, Well you see I was running with Jerry back then and I know what kind of a customer he was then---and now,------ wonder if his coupe has power steering now Jerry Williams said:
The Chase was created by NASCAR as just another venue to stuff their over flowing pockets. NASCAR long ago began making it more about the money and less about the sport of racing. When in the last 30 or so years has a new track been designed for good racing and not arround how many seats they could fit in? NASCAR is sucking the life out of the SPORT of true racing and true racers, the heros are gone and under NASCARs current leadership they will never be allowed to exisit again. I find it impossible to make a hero out of an 18 year old 130 pound kid who is there ( allthough he can drive a race car ) just because of his last name or his daddys money. Just my 2cents worth. May GOD Bless
eddie livingston
@eddie-livingston
14 years ago
3 posts
Jerry Williams said:
eddie livingston
@eddie-livingston
14 years ago
3 posts
With NASCAR now it's all about the money. If anyone does not believe this just look at what the did to next years schedule. eddie livingston said:
Jerry Williams said:
Tommie  Clinard
@tommie-clinard
14 years ago
209 posts
I'll bet money that Big Bill France has worn out the bottom of his casket with as many roll overs as he has done because of the way that NASCAR is being handled today.I reaf in today's paper that Joey Logano made the statement about Ryan Newman and the race yesterday and said, "I don't know why he alway's races me hard." That's the name of the game Joey. He's not by himself in likewise statements. Even Jimmy Johnson has complained about other driver's racing his so hard and not giving him room.Oh excuse me Sir. I forgot that you have the right of way.They should have been around in the '50's and '60's. If you won a race then it wasn't because of your crew chief. You earned it and fought hard for it just as the other driver's did. You RACED against each other and the better man that day won the race. That was in NASCAR too. I was raised in NASCAR. But it was a lot different and a lot better back then.Been there---done that. Know what I mean?
Jerry Williams2
@jerry-williams2
14 years ago
17 posts
Well Johnny you you nailed me to the wall with the truth; my 32 does have power steering. Nowdays at my age if we run over 15 laps in the feature I have to have a pit stop for a smoke and a beer just to make it to the end of the race but I'm still having fun. Johnny Mallonee said:
Well jerry did strike one something there---the way jerry came up you had to be a real man to hustle a car around a track for a couple of hundred laps on a half mile or longer track----THATS DIRT--- now these cars today have power steering and air conditioned suits and a car that will almost drive itself the way they so precisely set them up.. Jerry had to man handle a car that wanted to either spin out or hit the fence on the straightaway and the floorboard was usually hotter than grandmas wood stove. You know you drove in these conditions after towing for four or five hours to get to the track. Now wonder how I knew about those things, Well you see I was running with Jerry back then and I know what kind of a customer he was then---and now,------ wonder if his coupe has power steering now

Jerry Williams said:
Ernest Sutton
@ernest-sutton
14 years ago
181 posts
Although I am a Joe Gibbs fan (he has 2 really good drivers), Joey Logano would not survive the cut in the good old days of NASCAR.................sounds like he is going to have to learn a few things the hard way.