INDULGE ME FOR A FEW MINUTES (A TRIP DOWN U.S. HIGHWAY 1)

Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
14 years ago
3,119 posts

As agood friendwrote recently, older minds seem to have a way of finding the weirdest things in uncommon places, or, something like that.

Saturday, October 9th, about 4:45 p.m., I left Rockingham Speedway after a fantastic day of racing and in the great company of Jeff, Jimmy, Dave and Leon. The weather was beautiful, the racing was outstanding, and I called Ann when I was leaving to find out my Gamecocks were beating Number One Alabama. It was going to be a good trip home.

I left the speedway listening to my CDs of Disney music as I am a big fan of Walt Disney. The sun was bright in my windshield as the music was bringing memories of Peter Pan as "The Second Star From the Right" filled the van. The music continued as I went through the shaded and twisty streets of Rockingham heading South on U.S. Highway 1. Soon, the sign welcomed me to South Carolina.

Maybe it's was the spirit of the day, the music, or the aloneness of the van as I left the city limits of Cheraw, virtually alone on the highway. Whatever it was, I started to remember the story my mother had told me once of how I came to live in South Carolina, having travelled from upstate New York, Rochester to be precise, in the front seat of a 1932 Plymouth, in her lap while my Daddy drove, car sick all the way. I was five months old.

You see, when the Japs bombed Pearl Harbor in December, 1941, my Daddy was a 19 year old Rochester boy working in FDR's Civil Conservation Corp because there were no other jobs. He enlisted within days and was shipped to Fort Jackson in Columbia, SC, for basic training. On his first pass from the base, after 11 weeks of intensive training, we went to Carolina Skating Rink, about a mile from the gate to the Fort, and met my mother, who was an 18 year old dark haired beauty from Columbia. For the next several months, my Daddy courted my mother by walking 12 miles from the base on every pass to see her where she lived just north of Columbia. On September 19, 1942, they were married in Chesterfield, South Carolina one week before my Daddy was to ship out to the Pacific Theater.

I cannot even imagine what it was like for the Southern lady to move to Rochester, NY, to live with my Daddy's family while he fought the war, but she did. She worked at Baush and Lomb there throughout the war. When the Japs surrendered, my Daddy returned to Rochester, got a job at Kodak, and they were prepared to make their life in New York. Five months after I was born, my mother's mother became very ill and it was decided they would move to South Carolina so my mother could take care of my grandmother. They built a house across the street and moved in on my first birthday. Thus, Timmy (as I was known then) became a Southerner and was raised to the tune of stock car racing engines thanks to my mother's youngest brother who is 11 years old than I.

I guess that all came back to me yesterday because it was on trip to Rockingham in the motor home, about 1975 or so, that my mother told me of the trip down U.S. Highway 1 and how it looked almost the same in 1975 as it did when everything they owned was packed in that 1932 Plymouth. Of course, things had changed as there was now I-95 as the main north-south route, but the highway was essentially the same she said.

Anyway,my point here, is that yesterday as I traveled that highway, I was overcome with nostaglia, not so unusual for one my age I suppose, but a little more intense than usual. The ARCA race was great, much like the races I grew up watching, where young guys gave it their all to win, and crews worked hard for little or no pay to help it happen. It was just a super day of racing. But, there was more.

Traveling Highway 1, this time of year, at that time of day, you drive into intense sunshine at some points, and almost night-like darkness when you go through trees hanging over the highway. You run a long portion of straight road, then twists and turns as if you're in the mountains. Some of the highway is flat, sometimes it's up and down over the hills. You go through the small towns, McBee, Patrick, a town of moderate size like Camden, and the speed limit ranges from 25 to 55. I was enjoying the drive, what a beautiful day.

As I left Camden and pulled onto I-20, it was about 6:30 p.m. I was headed due west, directly into the setting sun which was blinding to say the least, even with my ever present sunglasses. My speed went from the 55 I had been driving up to 75 as I fell in with a pack of fast moving 18 wheelers. I was headed home. I called Ann and she told me our team was winning the game but, as we all know, it's never over until it's over.

Ok, I know by now, someone,maybe many someones, are asking "what in the world does this have to do with Racers Reunion"? My demented mind would offer the following explanation:

U.S. Highway 1 brought me to South Carolina which, in turn, introduced me to stock car racing which became such a big part of my life. The last race we were able to attend in the motorhome my parents had before my Daddy's cancer advanced to the point we couldn't do it any more, was to the fall race at "The Rock" in 1988. Driving home that day in the motorhome was much like Saturday, except my Mother was talking about the race, making sure everyone had had plenty to eat, and just generally did what my Mother always did. My Daddy drove, because that was his thing, most of the time anyway. I don't recall who all went with us on that trip but it was always max capacity in the motor home and usually a car or two behind us with our friends. Racing was, for us, a family thing, and we included anyone in our family who would join us.

Mostly though, I have spent much of today thinking about how my life was full of those bright sunny days, for the most part, and sometimes those dark, shadowed areas where the trees shaded the road. The long straightaways where everything was smooth, the twisty curves encountered sometimes, the ups and downs of the hills. I also though about how road-worn most of U.S. 1 is these days, sort of like me, I suppose. I thought about the great sights as I passed through Camden with the Blue Festival in progress and how my life is complete with my awesome wife Ann, the two children we have raised, and the awesome 6 grandkids I get to play with and who enable me to watch cartoons, Disney movies, and go to Disney World without having to make excuses.

As I entered I-20 heading west into that intense sunshine and picking up speed as I moved toward home, I thought how metaphoric it is to being saling into that bright light as I get older and knowing that the future of Racers Reunion is to be determined by pursuit of goals of those heading toward the light of that sun, not retreating into the darkness of those tree lined streets. Life, they say, moves faster as you get older, and certainly moving on I-20 west was much faster than the restricted speed on U.S. Highway 1. But, you know what? Because of U.S. Highway 1, I am a Southerner, a blessed individual with the family I have, a proud race fan and a very intense supporter of the efforts of Racers Reunion to see that the history of stock car racing remains intact, much like Highway 1, a little worn, but it still gets me home. Much like heading into that brillant sunshine! Bright, bright, bright! Intense. Burning with a passion like I have for this site.

Tim

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

updated by @tim-leeming: 12/05/16 04:02:07PM
Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
14 years ago
3,259 posts
well tim you told a great story of time travel and how moves can elect a persons future simply by addressing the day to day functions of as the world turns. but now you have to tell the world one more thing that was left out of your immaculate short story--------- we know who won the nationwide race sat. but who won the game??????
Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
14 years ago
3,119 posts
THE GAMECOCKS OF THE UNIVERSITY OF SOUTH CAROLINA WON THE GAME. Beat number ONE Alabama Crimson Tide. Someone please explain to me why the Crimson Tide's mascot is an elephant?

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

Leon Phillips
@leon-phillips
14 years ago
626 posts
Hay Tim i had a great time my self i can not thank Jimmy Johson enough for the pit pass but the next time i go in the pits i will have ear plugs and allso thank him for finding me a pair of long paints to get in the pits a size 38 husky can be hard to find
Harvey Tollison
@harvey-tollison
14 years ago
226 posts
thank GOD for Hwy ! and Tim
Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
14 years ago
3,119 posts
Thanks Wayne! Great to have people respond with such positive comments. I was just "in the mood" to write that piece Sunday after a really awesome Saturday at The Rock. I'm very, very pleased that you like it. I appreciate the FIVE stars too.

--

Slick
@slick
14 years ago
36 posts
Very nice piece. It is funny that I had similar thoughts during my drive there and back. It was my first trip to a big track since 1997. I gave up the whole NASCAR thing then and haven't looked back by spending my racing time at the short tracks. The last few trips to Rockingham for me were as a crew member, but my mind harkened back to my young adult years and making the drive from Columbia up US 1. The ride up was always through patches of fog and the windshield clouding up and the sun rising to the east. Coming home was the battle against the setting sun. It always was a challenge going from blinding sun to near darkness from those trees Tim mentioned. Thanks for your story!
Mike Ray2
@mike-ray2
14 years ago
27 posts
What a well written piece,Thank you so much,peace,out.
Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
11 years ago
3,119 posts

Reading this two and half years after it was written, I have to humbly say that is some pretty good writing. Paints a picture of a wonderful time. Or should I say "wonderful TIMES".

--

TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
11 years ago
4,073 posts

To your earlier question about Alabama and the elephant mascot, I may have an answer for you. My son and I were in Tuscaloosa for a college visit just a couple of weeks ago. That very subject came up during our campus tour. SUPPOSEDLY its origins date back to the 1920s. Alabama's football team went to LA to play in the Rose Bowl. Many cargo trunks were purchased to ship all of the players' and team's gear. I don't recall the name of the luggage maker, but its logo was an elephant. Apparently the host hotel and sportswriters out there assumed Alabama's logo was the same elephant. Even thought it wasn't at the time, the team adopted it afterwards and it remains that way today. We may have been played by the student tour guide, but the story at least seemed plausible. In the end for me, maybe it won't matter since my son has decided he won't play to enroll at Bama.

--
Schaefer: It's not just for racing anymore.
Randy Myers2
@randy-myers2
11 years ago
219 posts

Really nice read "Timmy". I have to admit Iwas a little worried about what you were smoking when you started talking about Peter Pan and the Disney music at the start of the story but it came around nicely.

Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
11 years ago
3,119 posts

Chase, that is a fascinating story about Alabama and the Elephant. I had never heard that but if it isn't true,you and your son truly had one of the best student tour guides Alabama could produce. So has your son made a final decision on his school yet?

Randy, good to hear from you! Yes, I am a big Disney fan. On the day each of my grandsons were born, I would hold them and tell them that when they were five I would take them to Disney World. Some of the first words all three of them learned to say, after the mom, dad, mema and pop things was "Disneeee Wurld". All three of them had a ball when we took them but they couldn't come close to the ball I had.

Thank you both for reading and commenting on this old post from yesteryear.

--