GREATNESS----------- a word with deep roots in racing

Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
14 years ago
3,259 posts
How do you describe greatness in sports?In stock car racing, its Richard Petty and Dale Earnhardt who are the first to come to mind, or if you are a longtime fan, you might say David Pearson or Billy Biscoe, or maybe even Raymond Parks.On Sunday,as bad as we may not have wanted it Jimmie Johnson earned the right to be included among the greats of NASCAR, winning an unprecedented fifth Sprint Cup title in a row but he would not have won these 5 without the aid of the chase.they say Johnson now ranks right behind Petty and Earnhardt (both with seven) in the number of championships in NASCAR, the majority of stock car fans still hesitate or even outright refuse to use greatness when describing him. But you know he wouldnt have been there without the team that was so wrongly done by Chad in front of the fans.Did you enjoy the privilege you were given to watch Jimmie Johnson on the track? Perhaps it wont be until a time in the near future when we are forced to rely upon our own memories,then maybe he will be accepted,maybe..I hear that winning in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series has been called one of the most difficult victories in all of sports They say It takes a magical combination of both man and machine in a dance of perfection for four hours in conditions where a mistake could literally be the difference between continuing or wrecking. The sport plays out against the backdrop of competition from an army of 42 other similar combinations all determined to beat you to the checker flag and the privilege hear the fans either boo or praise you.Johnson himself acknowledges he doesnt completely understand why there are so many fans who would rather see someone else win, but having people dislike him doesnt stop his determination to keep winning.He and his team did everything they needed to do on Sunday, although crew chief Knaus said he still dreams of winning both the season finale and the championship in the same year.But the kicker that came out of Homestead Sunday was His team is already talking about a sixth title. Knaus referred to it as a six-pack. Right now, that doesnt sound too farfetched but wait, doesnt Kyle or Denny or Kevin have any say so in this??? Maybe Junior can get off to a good start and take a championship or two. Or even one of those new kids on the block,heck they are good you knowWhen something is good, its always good yesterday, today and tomorrow.I dont know about you, but I never get bored with the best. And if Im watching the best, it makes me feel better about myself, too. And we at racers Reunion have the best there was and ever will be in our house. And thats something we do have over Nascar.Information in --part was taken from Bob Margolis and his take on Jimm"ie" Johnson .
updated by @johnny-mallonee: 12/05/16 04:00:58PM
Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
14 years ago
3,119 posts
Good post Johnny! Thanks.

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

Richard Guido
@richard-guido
14 years ago
238 posts
For sure Jimmie and the 48 crew have earned it. I just knew that they would not pull it off this year and was proved wrong.The Chase did save their butts this year because they were off during to middle part of the season but when the money was on the table .....Chad Knaus is one of the best ever at setting up a race car and he proved it again Sunday.Jimmie is legitimate. Holding the wheel for five years in a row is truly amazing.
Russell Rector
@russell-rector
14 years ago
80 posts
Maybe their needs to be two catagories,one greatness before the year 2000 and one for greatness after the year 2000. For me, no matter how many championships Jimmy Johnson/ Hendricks Motorsports wins, I cannot in my mind compare them head to head with the Pettys,Pearsons,Earnhardts,and Raymond Parks of the early years.
Jerry Williams2
@jerry-williams2
14 years ago
17 posts
First of all I am not a JJ fan nor a Hendrick fan, just a realist. If you think money can win a 500 lap race you have never driven a race car. Money sure can give you the best equipment but it cant ----hit your marks just right 2,000 times that day----tell you how to draft----tell you when to pit and how many tires to take , etc. etc. . And if the Hendrick money is all there is, what happened to Jr, Mark or Jeff ? ------As for the Chase, JJ did not write the rules, he raced under the rules that were there. The Pettys and Pearson and Yarboroughs didn't have these Chase rules forced on them. Were they greater? Nobody is great but my God but they all were and are " Pretty Damn Good Drivers".
Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
14 years ago
3,259 posts

i believe it boils down to the right move played on several occasions at the same game---oh but you didnt catch him at it---Chad does it so methodically that you ignore the obvious -- he is cool and has Jimm ie
dialed in by the end -- It happens every time when critical or crunch time is needed Jerry Williams said:
First of all I am not a JJ fan nor a Hendrick fan, just a realist. If you think money can win a 500 lap race you have never driven a race car. Money sure can give you the best equipment but it cant ----hit your marks just right 2,000 times that day----tell you how to draft----tell you when to pit and how many tires to take , etc. etc. . And if the Hendrick money is all there is, what happened to Jr, Mark or Jeff ? ------As for the Chase, JJ did not write the rules, he raced under the rules that were there. The Pettys and Pearson and Yarboroughs didn't have these Chase rules forced on them. Were they greater? Nobody is great but my God but they all were and are " Pretty Damn Good Drivers".