Question of the day for March 25, 2011

Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
13 years ago
3,119 posts
Hello all. Today's discussion is a little different, but not that much. Please tell us whether or not you have ever met your favorite driver, past or present, face-to-face, and if so, was he who/what you thought he was? Were you impressed? Did you come away with a good feeling? Give us the details. Is there a driver from the past you haven't met but wish you could have, or, if that driver is still around, wish you still could meet him?

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

updated by @tim-leeming: 01/10/17 03:26:05PM
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
13 years ago
9,137 posts
Yes... Rapid Ray Hendrick - "Mr. Modified" - in 1990 after he stopped racing and not long before his death. I was Director of Media Relations at Richmond International Raceway and we decided to honor all contestants who had ever competed in the NASCAR Virginia State Fair Modified Championship races on the old 1/2-mile dirt track. We created the "Strawberry Hill Mod Squad". I had the honor of physically researching every NASCAR results sheet for those events and we invited them all back and honored them inpre-race activities before a huge modified race on the new 3/4-mile asphalt track. I came away with a great feeling. We had guys like Runt Harris, Wendell Scott, Sonny Hutchins, Eddie Crouse, Ted Hairfield, Lennie Pond, Bill Dennis, Emanuel Zervakis, Red Foote, Denny Zimmerman and the list went on and on. Not only was it an honor to meet Ray in person, but all the others.

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
Ernest Sutton
@ernest-sutton
13 years ago
181 posts
Yes, I did meet my favorite driver face-to-face, and he was everything I ever thought he was. I was fortunate enough to be in the Daytona pits/garage area in January, 1997 and 1998, when several teams were there for tire testing. In 1997, I met Richard Petty, had my picture taken with him, and just generally hung out in the garages all day. I have always been a big Richard Petty fan and I don't believe there has ever been a better goodwill ambassador for NASCAR racing than Richard. He was never too busy to stop and talk to a fan, express his appreciation for the fans,or give an autograph. In January, 1998, Richard Childress was there with his teams and I was fortunate enough to meet my other most favorite driver of all time, Dale Earnhardt.........had my picture taken with him and his famous #3. Dale was not always quite as accessible as Richard, but he was friendly and accomodating on that day. Of course, he had to be careful to protect his reputation as The Intimidator. In my opinion, there has never been a more talented driver than Dale on the NASCAR tracks, and I loved watching him race. To say that I was impressed with both of these meetings would be an understatement. I could not believe my good fortune of being in the right place at the right time. Furthermore, Earnhardt was not the cold, unfriendly person that many people thought he was. That man was anonymously generous so many times that most people were unaware of , but as I said earlier, he had to be careful to protect his Intimidator reputation. That was the year he won the D500......which I was fortunate enough to be a witness to, as well.
Robert Turner
@robert-turner
13 years ago
88 posts

I had the pleasure of meeting my hero more than once. In the '60s my hero was Fred Lorenzen. The first race I heard on the radio was the '62 Atlanta 500 which Feddy won. The first race I attended was the '63 Atlanta 500 and watched Fastback Freddy win that as well as the '64 race, he wrecked in '65. I was fortunate that I had a father and several friend's families that would let me go to the races and I never missed the races in Atlanta until the mid '90s. I built a model of Freds '64 car and gave it to him through Herb Nab. I sneaked into the garage area and couldn't get to see Fred that time.I saw him in passing in later years at the track. He came back in the '80s or '90s as grand marshall and I had my photo made with him. I was shooting photos for Racing News by then and got to talk to him in the Press building.

I have met many of the drivers of the '60 to '90s era and most have been good to talk to when aproached when they weren't getting ready for the race or such. As others have stated Pearson is great as is Petty and as was Earnhardt and Bonnett. Curtis Turner was fun to talk to and so was Tim Flock. The Trickles, Ridleys and many other short trackers, dirt and asphalt, go out of their way to be friendly. Mark Martin was such a short tracker when I first met him. He and Bango Grimm would travel around in an old cuib van pulling the car on an open trailer.

Sorry to ramble on but there are so many great drivers and stories out there.

Robert Turner
@robert-turner
13 years ago
88 posts

Woops, that wasn't the photo I planed to post. Here are photos of the tribute car when Lorenzen was the GrandMarshall and a couple of old photos shot by a 15-16 year old with a $2.00 camera.

Cody Dinsmore
@cody-dinsmore
13 years ago
589 posts
I met lots....Bobby Allison, David Pearson, Denny Hamlin, Joey Lagono, J.J Yeley, Tony Stewart, Rex White, Jody Ridley,etc. But two times stick out in my mind the most...1. Richard Petty. In August of 2008, my father and I went to retrieve the flagstand from Lakewood Speedway for the Georgia Racing Hall of Fame from Richard at his Level Cross Shop. It was donated to Petty after he retired in 92'. And now I used to get sick when I was excited. All the way up to about Charlotte, I was just sicker than a dog. But after we stopped by the Wood Brother's shop and toured the shop and met Leonard, I instantly felt better. So I lasted the rest of the way to Level Cross. Once we pulled in, we parked our truck and trailer in front of the what looked like deserted office. As soon as we got out, a man with a forklift came around the engine shop to help us load the probably 15-foot flagman's stand. I soon excitedly asked the man and his crew if the King himself was here (we went on a day an insider told us was one of Richard's 'business' days) He turned around to see an all black Chrysler 300 pull up and he replied with "Yep, that's him". Let me tell you, I was amazed as the slick car with black paint, grill and black tinted windows pulled up right beside where I was standing. I was shaking as I walked around the other side of the car as I saw a pair of black cowboy boots kick open the drivers door and I got 'bug-eyed' as I watched a tall and lanky figure step out of the car. He was wearing a red shirt, black pants, black signature cowboy hat with shades, a 50th anniversary of Petty belt buckle that had to have been 10 times bigger than his fist. After he spit a gulp of tobacco, he said "Dang, I can't even get my own parking space no more" since we parked right in front of the office building. I guess I should be glad that we were in a Dodge truck. So after we said our hello's and snapped a few pictures...he went inside to do business and he invited me into (not his personal office, but really a type of waiting room I guess you could call it. Lots of pictures and memorabilia) So after I took some pictures of the inside, I went back out and Richard followed behind with a stack of cowboy hats (probably 6 or 7) He said he was fixing to head out to their ranch in Wyoming. He also invited us into what used to be the cup shop (approximately at this point in time, he had just moved the shop to Mooresville into the old Yates Shop). He had a small collection of custom golfcarts and two Morris Minors. But, we were fortunate enough to see his 1957 Olds convertible racecar come in on a flatbed when we came in, by the time we were in the shop building, the cool car was unloaded already. When Richard came back out, I asked him to sign two items, a photo and a diecast set of a transporter and his seven championship cars along with my autograph book. When he got to signing my book, I told him that he could have the whole page to sign on. Two pages are the ones I show the most to people. The one Richard signed on and the page next to it has all three Elliott brothers, Both Bud Moores, and Both Wood Brothers (Glen, and Leonard)Anyway....let me say that I was just very pleased!!!2. Bill Elliott. It was around June of 2008, I was at work at the Georgia Racing Hall of Fame museum, just got done putting a car in there. And as the car owners went out the door, I could have swore that I saw Bill Elliott. Now being from Dawsonville and never met Bill Elliott is like not knowing who your own mayor is. I'd been wanting to meet him for ever and longtime friend, Gordon Pirkle, owner of the famed Dawsonville Pool Room, always told me accounts of when Bill came in to have a burger or I would have just missed him by a few minutes. Well at the time, Gordon also owned a small cafe inside the museum complex. And unknowingly to me, Bill was in there, just got done eating with his wife, his son and a few of his development drivers and just shooting the breeze with Gordon. And a man named Steve Holder, who used to work at the museum, was in there talking to him too. In fact, earlier in 2008, Steve went by the shop and had my car and autograph book signed. So since he knew I wanted to meet Awesome Bill so bad, he went and got me. I was standing almost behind a coke machine just trying to figure out what to say to the man. After all, this was all of a sudden. So I finally got enough courage to meet Bill right before he left. I know by now, I'm long-winded, but there, I probably didn't say but 10 words to the guy. Probably around the next week, he came in alone to get a to-go order from the Champion's Cafe (Note that cafe is no longer there) and he came through the museum entrance. As he was leaving he said Hi, and I mentioned that I was sorry that I was so shy when I first met him. He replied with "That's alright, I used to be the same way".Sorry for the very long story!-Cody
Pete Banchoff
@pete-banchoff
13 years ago
279 posts
I met David Pearson in about 1983 and I'm still on cloud nine. He took the time to sign a H/M cut-a-way print I had and even changed his mind a couple times where he should sign it (there is even a dirt smudge from his hand because he was a real racer!) . I also met A.J.Foyt who was one of my favorite Indycar drivers. He also commented on the picture I had him sign because it was so old ( from 1967). I would have liked to have met Bobby Isaac and LeeRoy Yarbrough in stock cars and Jimmy Clark from Open Wheel. I'm still working on meeting drivers from our local tracks who competed in the past. I've met Tom Maier and Wayne Landon who raced in the 60's at Dixie motor Speedway in Michigan. All were very positive experiences and took time to make a fan feel special.
Pete Banchoff
@pete-banchoff
13 years ago
279 posts
David signing my H/M print at Michigan. What a thrill!
Pete Banchoff
@pete-banchoff
13 years ago
279 posts
Wow PK, lots of talent sitting on that cart!! Great picture.
Ernest Sutton
@ernest-sutton
13 years ago
181 posts

Pete Banchoff said:
Wow PK, lots of talent sitting on that cart!! Great picture.
Got that right, Pete.........and those were the good ole days.
J.C. HAYES
@jc-hayes
13 years ago
37 posts
I'VE MEET MY FAVORITE DRIVER PAST AND PRESENT AT RIVERSIDE I'VE MEET RICHARD PETTY , BOBBY ALLISON , BENNY PARSONS , AND A LOT MORE I WILL NEVER FORGET THE TIME I FIRST MEET RICHARD PETTY AT RIVERSIDE IT WAS 1969 MY DAD TOOK US THERE AND HE TOOK ME TO MEET THE KING IT WAS THE BEST THING TO HAPPEN TO ME AND I ALSO MEET DAVID PEARSON THAT DAY TOO