Snubbed Again in NC - What's Missing?

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
13 years ago
9,137 posts

Well folks, the braintrust that operate the North Carolina Sports Hall of Fame have decided to allow you to vote online forthe "GREATEST MOMENT IN NORTH CAROLINA SPORTS HISTORY" from a list of five selections they have established. Here are the five choices:

* 1953 Formation of Atlantic Coast Conference

* 1957 University of North Carolina basketball win over Kansas

* 1962 Indoor Sub 4-minute Mile by Jim Beatty in Los Angeles

* 1974 NC State basketball win over Maryland

* 1983 NC State basketball win over Houston

While these are certainlysignificant moments in North Carolina sports history, doesn't it strike you thatthe list is more than a little college basketball heavy andcompletely lacking in a different sport? I wouldn't necessarily say that the 1949 Strictly Stock race in Charlotte, NC or Richard Petty's 200th win ( among numerous other North Carolina stock car racing milestones that quickly come to mind) rank as the absolute greatest moment in NC Sports History, but I darn well think I should have another option besides the five listed if I wanted to cast my vote. I actually checked out the voting site at www.ncshof.org , but it didn't offer a write-inselection or a "none of the above" choice. I realize many of you have no direct ties to North Carolina, but what are your thoughts regarding the criteria for establishing a "Greatest Sports Moment"?

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"

updated by @dave-fulton: 12/05/16 04:00:58PM
Mike Sykes
@mike-sykes
13 years ago
308 posts
It like nas----r is all politics and money.Most of the board is tied to some college in the Durham-Raliegh and Asheville area so thats where that came from and they are going to look after thieir alma moter.
Dennis Andrews
@dennis-andrews
13 years ago
835 posts
The folks at the Racing Hall of Fame in Georgia got it right.

PattyKay Lilley said:

Dave, I'd call that far more than a little unbalanced. It should be the Greatest Moments in NC NCAA Basketball. Maybe the folks that run it are not aware of the proud racing heritage that is North Carolina. So many top drivers come from there, and so many great tracks have been home to racing since its inception. But hey! We have a fantastic Racing Hall of Fame in Georgia, only 45 minutes from my house, in Dawsonville. We'd be happy to serve both states. :)

Just by way of a nit to pick, Richard Petty was born in NC, but won that #200 at Daytona, Florida.

There's just no accounting for the thinking of some folks. I'd set fire to the place before I'd vote on a weighted ballot like that...but that's just me.

~PattyKay

Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
13 years ago
3,119 posts

Just remember this. These five choices reflect the mentality of the folks who go out and turn over police cars and set fires when their team loses the basketball championship games. I would like to think race fans have more sense than that and it does appear they do. I don't recall any Kyle Busch fans vandalizing public property after he loses a race. Seems "higher" education doesn't necessarily mean "learning".

Tim

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

Jeff Gilder
@jeff-gilder
13 years ago
1,783 posts
But then again...Kyle doesn't lose much.

--
Founder/Creator - RacersReunion®
Mike Sykes
@mike-sykes
13 years ago
308 posts
In all fairness other than this vote for all greatest moment in history deal. In 1997 when Charlie Harville was inducted into the hall of fame they ask Danny "Chocolate" Myers and myself to sit in on the question and answer session when the news media ask about racing with questions coming from media and former inductees. They knew little about racing and had a lot of good questions and it lasted about an hour. But after going through there induction list which is 272 including this years inductees the following men are inducted into the NCSHOF. 1963 Lee Petty,1973, Richard Petty,1990 Ned Jarrett,1992 Buck Baker,Jr. Johnson, Herb Thomas, 1994 Dale Earnhardt, 1997 Charlie Harville, 2004 Humpy Wheeler, 2008 Richard Childress, 2011 Dale Jarrett, that is 11 out of 272 so like I said it's politics as usual. But I'm glad that they have inducted these men and is well deserved however the balance could be a little better. Thanks Dave for posting this on RR.
Mike Sykes
@mike-sykes
13 years ago
308 posts
Good food and some of the coldest beer I ever had. It is a pictorial museum in its self. I was there during the week a few years back and enjoyed the laid back small town . I look forward to going back sometime during the moonshine fest.
Thomas K. Craig
@thomas-k-craig
13 years ago
53 posts
Since i'm from the state of North Carolina. I feel the need to reply. First off I need to reply to my friend Tims comment about the fans turning over cars and all that such. I know that goes on and such in other parts of the country. But me being a Duke fan, I will say that us Blue Devil, Tar Heel and Wolfpack fans have never stooped to that level while winning the 11 NCAA championships from the Triangle area. 98% of us celebrate with dignity. Now to that list, 3 of the selections should be replaced in my opinion and of course one should be of 1949 in Charlotte and the accomplishments of The King, The Intimidator, Junior Johnson and the many racing legends from the state. But as like Mike said its all politics in this state. I live in the Triangle area and if you know anything about this area. Very few could give a crap about Nascar racing. To them its that old saying thats its a redneck sport. These are the same people that make the laws in suburbs around around Raleigh that its illegal to have a pick up truck parked in your driveway. I'm not kidding. I will name the city, Cary. So when it all comes down to it, its really not surprising that those are the five that was selected. Please dont think that all North Carolina natives are like this those people are the minority. Those people are the transplants that started coming down in the mid 80's.
Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
13 years ago
3,119 posts

Nice post Kyle, and I'm not critizing, per se,. the Blue Devil/Wolfpack folks, just the general mentality of the college sports world, and especially the basketball. I expect flack from that remark, but seriously, listen to the interviews with those players. 95% of them can barely be understood. But, look back through your history because I do remember from years ago, Dukies tearing up property because they won the title. Never made sense to me but I remember it happening although I can't tell you when.

Hope everything is well with that new kid!! Are you getting any sleep??? lol

Tim

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

Thomas K. Craig
@thomas-k-craig
13 years ago
53 posts
Good morning, Tim. I do remember Duke tearing up things. They do burn the benches and do the typical things that most drunk college kids do. But what I was saying was I remember when some of the teams fans that did win I remember those fools burning up property turning over cars. The fans here didnt go that nuts. I do understand what you are saying about understanding them on interviews. Thats all understood my friend. Now to my newly born son. He is simply wonderful. The family loves him to death. Actually he is a great baby. He only wakes up once in the middle of the night for his feeding. Otherwise so far he is wonderful. Even if he did wake up all the time, I wouldnt care. I love being a dad. Greatest thing in the world!!! Hope you are doing great, Tim. Hope yall are getting ready for the big weekend coming up. Hope yall do great at Columbia!