Should Richard Childress Be Punished for Punching Kyle Busch?

Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
13 years ago
3,259 posts

this is a little of what seems the buzz surrounding the monday outcome of what nascar will or not do on RACEWIN

Following Saturdays truck series Richard Childress is one of the few who can say he beat Kyle Busch literally.

Childress grabbed Busch put him in a headlock, and landed several punches before bystanders could separate them.

Childress was angry with Busch after contact with RCR driver Joey Coulter in the closing laps. The latest in a string of incidents between Busch and RCR drivers.

There is no doubt that Richard Childress intended to get Kyles attention. Just before the incident Childress was seen slipping his expensive watch into his pocket.

Childress was barred from pit road at Sundays STP 400 at Kansas Speedway. NASCAR also told him not to attend the pre-race drivers meeting.

NASCAR President Mike Helton considered banning Childress from the speedway entirely before deciding that Childress should be allowed to stay as a team owner.

NASCAR officials have indicated that a statement regarding any punishment for Childress would be forthcoming on Monday a day earlier than most penalties are announced.

What do you think an appropriate punishment would be?

Richard Childress Punches Kyle Busch

updated by @johnny-mallonee: 12/05/16 04:04:08PM
Jeff Gilder
@jeff-gilder
13 years ago
1,783 posts

The difference of now compared to "then". When I raced...and Johnny I know it was true when you raced....we all knew we when we entered the pits we were subject to "engage"...or be "engaged" in physical contact of sorts "off the track." Some on this site have called that barbaric. Barbaric as it was...if you may call it that...it was fact and has been part of the make-up of auto racing since the beginning.

At one of my regular tracks (Volunteer Speedway)...back in the day...one was subject to a $500.00 fine for fighting outside your pits. Think about the logic. Made sense to us then. So if neither Kyle or Richard were in their respective pits...by this rule they both would be fined and would be back to racing. And one or the other would know better how to govern themselves at the track. Or at least they would have a better understanding of the consequences. (ie...headlock...fine...etc).

I realize NASCAR can't let this go without doing something. I just think they should levy the fine and go racing.

What's wrong with that?

--
Founder/Creator - RacersReunion®
Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
13 years ago
3,119 posts
Johnny, I am not one to condone violence, even to the violence of punching out someone who deserves it as I believe Kyle Busch did, does, and will. I sincerely feel that for Richard Childress to have taken such action, he had reached his limit with the brat. NASCAR should have reached that limit last year but they are too concerned about the dollars they feel such a person can bring to the sport. PattyKay is right with the Lee Petty-Curtis Turner comparison because "back in the day"such b.s. as Kyle Busch was not tolerated. If this was the 50s, even the 60s, that snot-nosed kid would be too sore to sit in a driver's seat. But it's not that era. It is the era of overpaid, spoiled, poorly raised brats like Kyle making up the sport. He loves to dish it out, but he can't take it. Ok, I'm not saying anything else on this subject. There are those who will believe Richard should not have taken any action. If that had been his or her truck and this was the umpteenth time the brat tore up the equipment intentionally, then what would you have done?

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

Mike Sykes
@mike-sykes
13 years ago
308 posts
Find Humpy and get a pair of his Golden Gloves and give them to Richard and fine him $1.00. Also lets find Mike Helton a pair of good glasses, he said he seen nothing wrong with what Kyle did on or off of the track.
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
13 years ago
9,137 posts
Keep way in the back of your mind that RC is a "favorite son" of NASCAR and has been ever since they "assisted" him out of the driver's seat in 1981 to maintain the Wrangler Jeans sponsorship of Dale Earnhardt and the money it was bringing in to NASCAR through other channels when Jim Stacy bought the Rod Osterlund team. This is the guy who was awarded the Bill France Award of Excellence by Bill, Jr. many years ago in NY at the Waldorf for "pulling himself up by the bootstraps" and the same RC who used to frequent Bill, Jr.'s yacht, along with Dale, Sr. Right or wrong, you can rest assured that whatever is appropriate punishment is more that what NASCAR will dole out to this favorite son.

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
Bumpertag
@bumpertag
13 years ago
363 posts
Heard a FUNNY on the radio this morning. Said NASCAR was struggling with this. Said they were torn between punishing Richard or giving him an award because Kyle is such a pain in the A$# and he truely deserved what he got.
Bumpertag
@bumpertag
13 years ago
363 posts
If I remeber correctly, there were punches thrown at that race as well. LeRoy Yarbarough is believed to have punched Big Bill France just before the drivers walked off and loaded up to go home.

Billy Biscoe (arustyracer) said:

OK ! All you old timers..... ! Remember back to Talladega 1969 boycott and R/C drove his G-A Camaro in the GN race as a field filler to Big Bill demands.Big Bill Francetold all those drivers you have a get out of jail card from me anytime you need it.

This might be the timefor R/C toCASH it in....As to the punches thrown, I'm not surethey did any good? only time will tell ?

Hitting R/C with a monetary fine won't be as bad as deducting owners points from the overall years work.I for one am hoping the best for the whole RCR team,they deserve better. BB

Russell Rector
@russell-rector
13 years ago
80 posts
I think it was.I really don't think violence isnesesary.But I doappreciate that the matter was handled in the infield after the race,and not on pit road (DARLINGTON). If there is going to an altercation,do iteither in the infield(man to man) or on the back streach(car to car), away from everybody,(so no bystanders will be hurt). That would be thebetter way to handle it.
Bumpertag
@bumpertag
13 years ago
363 posts
$150,000 is a joke.
Billy & Barbara Scott
@billy-barbara-scott
13 years ago
52 posts

Guess we are from the "really old school of racing' since we can remember the track having an automatic fine for fighting. Everyone knew it, even the fans in the stands. We have seen drivers take up money, between themselves in thepits,to pay a fine if the accused driver hit a driver they had wanted to hit themselves. Have also seen fans take up money in the stands to pay a drivers fine, if the driver deliberately wrecked another driver, disliked by the fans. One of those incidents happened at Columbia Speedway, the other being further back than that, at a track know by Nascar as an "Outlaw" track.

Do you believe there are enough drivers and fans, who dislike Busch enough, to chip in on Richard'sfine?????

Jeff Gilder
@jeff-gilder
13 years ago
1,783 posts
You can count me in!

Billy & Barbara Scott said:

Guess we are from the "really old school of racing' since we can remember the track having an automatic fine for fighting. Everyone knew it, even the fans in the stands. We have seen drivers take up money, between themselves in thepits,to pay a fine if the accused driver hit a driver they had wanted to hit themselves. Have also seen fans take up money in the stands to pay a drivers fine, if the driver deliberately wrecked another driver, disliked by the fans. One of those incidents happened at Columbia Speedway, the other being further back than that, at a track know by Nascar as an "Outlaw" track.

Do you believe there are enough drivers and fans, who dislike Busch enough, to chip in on Richard'sfine?????

--
Founder/Creator - RacersReunion®
Pete Banchoff
@pete-banchoff
13 years ago
279 posts
Like many of you, I grew up watching bullring racing and there was never a question of "if" there was going to be a fight, but "who" after a feature. It's the way it was. I remember Bobby Allison getting clobbered by Tom Maier because Bobby kept running Tom up the track during the race. Tommy didn't like it, it was settled right in the pits after the race. I would like to see Richard Childress get an award, not fined.
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
13 years ago
9,137 posts
I have looked all over the internet and can't find any mention of it, but I swear I remember back in the 60s Roy Tyner being involved in an altercation that resulted in a fellow competitor being struck with a tire tool. I want to think it was a weekly race in the Fayetteville area. Anybody else remember this or is my memory again betraying me?

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
13 years ago
3,259 posts
yes he did at the old fayetteville track that dang indian got on the warpath that nite and he was like he was on that funny juice. i will go find that tidbit for ya

Dave Fulton said:
I have looked all over the internet and can't find any mention of it, but I swear I remember back in the 60s Roy Tyner being involved in an altercation that resulted in a fellow competitor being struck with a tire tool. I want to think it was a weekly race in the Fayetteville area. Anybody else remember this or is my memory again betraying me?