A good reason why I'm thankful for Racers Reunion.

Bumpertag
@bumpertag
13 years ago
363 posts

My father in law has been battling colon cancer for a nearly 2 years now and doing very well. Today he is at Spartanburg Regional having test done so my wife and her family are there with him. After he was taken back my wife and in laws all headed to the family waitting room... for who knows how long. As they are sitting there David Pearson walks in and takes a seat. My wife spots him and tells her family who he is. They didn't know who he was. When she called me she said they had been there for some time and only one man recognized him and walked up and spoke. Is this possible? David Pearson, NASCAR Hall of Famer, in Spartanburg, in a crowded waiting room and he's not recognized??? This is why I'm thankful for Racers Reunion, for remembering and recognizing the famous and not so famous that made NASCAR the sport it is today.

Mr. Pearson may be thankful he wasn't recognized. Maybe he has too much on his mind and doesn't want to be bothered. Maybe the others in the waiting room were just being thoughtful and wanted to give him a little peace while he waited. Maybe so, I hope so. Seems odd to me that so many people just don't know or appreciate the impact that people like Mr. Pearson and many others had on this sport we all love. Seems to me that if they raced before Dale Earnhardt too many younger fans have no clue who they are or what they did. RR is doing it's part and I'm happy to be a part of it. Thanks to all.

Bumpertag

S. Carolina

updated by @bumpertag: 12/05/16 04:02:07PM
Mike Sykes
@mike-sykes
13 years ago
308 posts
Hope your father in law does well. Seen Pearson yesterday at JB Day's birthday party and he was in good shape. In most cases with the Old Timers they rather enjoy it when someone knows them in public but there are a few that will snob you like the one in Timmonsville. But Pearson is deffinately not one of them.
Billy & Barbara Scott
@billy-barbara-scott
13 years ago
52 posts

Hii Bumpertag, may we add another reason why manydon't get excited about David's presences .Many times when a driver, withpopularity like David's is in his own hometown, folks

are so used to seeing him everywhere, they don't get excited anymore. Then if Cale Yarborough

or any of the others from that time frame comes into town and is recogized, the people get all excited. We have witnessed this many times.

Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
13 years ago
3,119 posts

BT, first up, prayers and thoughts for you and your entire family as you go through all this.

Secondly, I was working for TV in 1992 in Charlotte and walking through the infield from parking to the garage when I walked up beside David. He and I walked together to the garage area, through the infield crowd, through the mass at the gate waiting for the "famous" drivers to come through, and no one, I mean NO ONE recognized David. That was in 1992.

In 1994, I was in line to sign for my credentials at Darlington with a couple of guys and a female sports reporter from one of the networks which will remain nameless. It was the female, me, and two guys behind me at the door when a guy walked up and opened the door to go in. The female blasted him with foul language and insults about breaking in line. He apologized profusely and said he didn't realize there was a line. It was then that I said, "any three time winner of the Southern 500 can go ahead of me Buck". She still didn't know who Buck Baker was. Oh well, time moves on they say.

Thanks for posting BT.

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

Pete Banchoff
@pete-banchoff
13 years ago
279 posts

I'm not big on bothering people, but if I recognize someone I'll at least make eye contact and wave or say hi as long as they're not preoccupied with something (I never bother anyone at a restaurant). If people totally ignored David or didn't recognize him, that's sad. Even if everyone see's him on a regular basis or is comfortable around David, at least say hi.