J.D. “Junior” Johnson 1927 - 2011

Lynn Hughes
@lynn-hughes
13 years ago
3 posts

J.D. Junior Johnson of South Carolina passed way August 26, 2011 at 84 years old. Junior, his son Slick, and brother Cecil raced late models all around the Southeast. Also, Junior is listed as the car owner for Slick Johnsons Nascar Cup Series race car from 1979-1981. Up until recently, because of his love for racing, he continued to build kart racing engines for his grandson and other racers in the area. He was a really great man and will be sadly missed.

updated by @lynn-hughes: 12/03/16 05:56:35PM
craig jordan
@craig-jordan
13 years ago
1 posts

was one of the best really enjoyed talking with him about the old days at myrtle beach

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
13 years ago
9,137 posts
R.I.P. Have fond memories of the visits by Junior and Slick to Wilson County Speedway. We didn't see many father/son combos.

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
Slick
@slick
13 years ago
36 posts
He will be truly missed. JR was a fine racer on dirt and asphalt (as was Slick). I watched those cats run many a night at Hartsville-Darlington, Timmonsville, and a trip or two to Columbia (and many others) and they were a tough bunch to beat. I helped a team that used Jr's machine shop for a while. Jr helped out many a race team through his machine shop over the years when it was needed. Jr did a lot to help further Slick's ambitions in Cup, but they were terribly underfunded. They still had 7 top 10's over 3 years and were quite competitive in many races. It used to tickle me to see Jr leave Timmonsville with a problem early in the program, dash back to the shop (which was only a few miles away) and return in time for the feature.
William Horrell
@william-horrell
13 years ago
175 posts

Pee Dee region lost another of it's legends. Leaves a wonderful collection of racing memories for those that fortunate enough to witness his racing prowess with a wrench as well a wheel.

Prayers for the family and God speed Mr. Jr.

Bobby Williamson
@bobby-williamson
13 years ago
907 posts
Legendary announcer, "Buckshot" Cagle called Junior the "Old Fox", a well deserved title. Junior, his cars and drivers were a threat to win anywhere the showed up. Thought's and prayers for the family. He will be missed.
Billy & Barbara Scott
@billy-barbara-scott
13 years ago
52 posts

Reallysorry to hear the sad news!! So thankful Jr. lived long enough to know how much we thought of him, and the kind of person he was, in our blog of May 13, 2010. The blog is still and will contiue to be listed on our page. We are also thankful God sent Jr. our way, so we would always be able to say, "He was our friend and proved it by an act of love".

May the Lord send the comfort the family will needfor the future.

Billy Scott and Family

Billy & Barbara Scott
@billy-barbara-scott
13 years ago
52 posts

Please allow this reprint as this man was deserving of any and all praise!!!

IT'S ALL ABOUT JUNIOR JOHNSON !!!!!

As has been mentioned before, Billy Scott had three track championships in the 1967 season. It was the most laboring and stressing year of his racing career. Two of the championship tracks were at least 250-300 miles from home. The travel was more difficult after working a 10 hour day shift.

He was driver of Marion Cox's car and they were racing three tracks regularly, specifically for the championships. The tracks were Starlite Speedway in Monroe, N.C., Charleston Speedway in Charleston, S.C., and Savannah Speedway in Savannah, Ga.. They were also running Columbia Speedway, in Columbia, S.C. on thursday nights. As is well known, Marion "Preacher" Cox would not begin a race after 12 a.m. on sunday morning.

Savannah was a Saturday night race, but the last race would be on sunday. Billy and Dean Hendley were in a tight battle in points, with this being the last race. Billy, Ralph Earnhardt and Junior Johnson of Florence were discussing the tightness of the points race in Savannah. Marion had already told Billy they would not take the car to race on Sunday. They all knew Billy's chance of winning would be over if he missed that one race.

As they were leaving the track in Columbia, Junior told Billy he should come to Savannah and maybe he would let him drive his car. We left home on sunday morning with Billy's hopes of winning the championship all but gone.
He knew what the points were, as wife Barbara had kept all of the finishing positions from the scorers. Heat races were run as Billy watched from the top of Junior's truck in the pits. Ralph Earnhardt had won the first heat, with Junior Johnson on the outside pole.

As the track steward began lining the cars up on the track to begin the final race, Junior Johnson looked toward the pits and saw Billy on top of his truck. He motioned for Billy to come to the track, with his helmet. Billy moved faster than he did in some of the race cars he drove, to get to Junior. As he reached the car, Junior began to climb out, telling Billy to get in and win that race. Can anyone even imagine, a driver getting out of a car he had put on the outside poll and put a driver in, who had never driven the car? Junior did just that and Billy won the race with Ralph Earnhardt a very, very close second. It was just as if the Lord Himself had gotten involved in the situation. Billy did not want to take any of the winnings but Junior wouldn't hear of it and paid Billy something for driving. All the way home Billy kept saying,"I wish I hadn't took that money".

After the last race, scores were tallied and listed in the Nascar Newsletter that Dean Henley had won the Track Championship for 1967. Barbara did not agree with Nascar and immediately called Daytona and filed a written appeal. She explained in her complaint that Billy had won over Dean by a mere 4 points. Once Daytona checked the points for the year, the Scott's received a letter from the secretary who kept the score sheets and posted them to the drivers. She apologized and said she had been trying for months to get a new adding machine, and thanks to the Scotts' Nascar had bought her one.

It took a roundabout way to get to this point. It's not about the car, it's not about the points, nor is it about a championships; it's all about Junior Johnson who actually gave up a win to help a fellow driver's dreams come true. He could have won the race and got the glory for doing so. Instead, his thoughts were to help another driver from losing what he had raced for all year. More so than ever before, the Scotts' believe the Lord shows the best in people, at a time of need.

Thank you Junior and in our eyes you are the "Famous Junior Johnson!!!!!!
God bless you and we love you,
Billy Scott and Family

ray lamm
@ray-lamm
13 years ago
214 posts
i saw jr. race at wilson,n.c. my prayer are to his family at this time
Dargan Watts
@dargan-watts
13 years ago
38 posts

I write this with many tears in my eyes as I have lost three friends in the last few months that I became very close to in my time in racing. First there was H. C. Pritchard, who started his racing career in the cow pasture that Gene Stokes converted into a race track and recently, H. C.'s son Harry passed away and now the most famous of them all....J. D. (Junior) Johnson, Jr is gone. Johnson got his start dodging cow patties at the Sumter Speedway on Bethel Road near Sumter, S. C.

Johnson, like the older Pritchard, took to all the tracks being built in the Pee Dee area of South Carolina and he and his brother, Cecil were unbeatable at Hartsville, Dillon, Little River, Rockingham, Sumter, Summerville and many other tracks in the Carolinas and Georgia. Johnson built his own cars from front to back and did his own driving. He then founda long, lean drink of water by the name of Jimmy Hatchell who made his living making dentures, but he was some kind of a race driver. The combination of Jimmy Hatchell and Johnson along with the addition of brother, Cecil became unbeatable.

Then promoters began slipping some green in Johnson's pocket to make sure he had a car at the promoter's track. Another deal was struck so Hatchell would be the top attraction the same night at another track. A few years later another driver was added to the Johnson Stable by the name of J. D. (Slick) Johnson III.

Slick became a terror right off the bat and was a regular at Columbia, Myrtle Beach, Savannah and Fayetteville. He moved up to the NASCAR Grand National division, but dropped down to ARCA, where he lost his life.

There were two funny things that happened with Junior and me......The first was concerning Permatex Products. We had a Permatex race at Columbia on Thursday and since Junior had two cars there, I gave him two boxes of Permatex goodies. He put the boxes in his tool box and on Saturday night when he came up to me at Sumter, he had a cardboard of wrenches and the wrenches were covers with about a half-dozen shop rags. He pulled the rags off the wrenches and most of the Permatex adhesives had covered his tools. He said to me, "Since you gave me this stuff, I feel you should be me a new set of tools." I told him I thought the best thing to do was that I get him some more Permatex. He wanted me to clean his tools, but I talked him out of me having to do it because he had put both boxes in with the tools upside down.

Another night at Sumter, it started raining before the race go underway and I needed to talk to Junior about a story I was writing about him and we sat in my car with Junior breaking the conversation every couple of minutes telling me the rain was not going to let up and he needed to go racing somewhere else so he could make some money. He would say, "I ain't making no money here in this rain, man....I gotta go." Eventually, the rain stopped and we got the race in and who won.....None other than Junior Johnson.....

So long H. C. Pritchard, Harry Pritchard and Junior Johnson.......Thanks to all three of you for sharing a part of your life with me.

Ginger McKenzie Tolson
@ginger-mckenzie-tolson
13 years ago
2 posts
What a great tribute to Granddaddy, Thank you.
Ginger McKenzie Tolson
@ginger-mckenzie-tolson
13 years ago
2 posts

Thank you for these special words for Granddaddy.

Johnnie Freyermuth Jr
@johnnie-freyermuth-jr
13 years ago
1 posts

Was Haskell Willingham also driving for Preacher Cox ? I vaguely remember my Dad saying something about not driving on Sunday.

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
13 years ago
9,137 posts
Yes, Haskell did drive for Marion "Preacher" Cox. At one time Haskell and Preacher Cox "owned" the Raleigh, NCState Fairgrounds dirt track.

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
13 years ago
3,119 posts
My mind is flooded with memories of Junior and my heart is full of sadness at his passing. May God bless the family and comfort them at this time of loss. Junior will be missed by many but therein lies the beautfy of the life he lived.

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

bobby gregory
@bobby-gregory
13 years ago
1 posts
Junior and slick were very competitive they built some very good cars i always liked the 66 chevelles they had .Morgan shepherd drove juniors car years back if i am not mistalen 4 cars came out of their shop 1 8 18 and 81 i think jimmy hatchell drove one of them