seeking picture(s)

Richard Gouldman
@richard-gouldman
13 years ago
86 posts

I am an searching for any pictures of a sportsman car that a local driver, Lennie Pond

drove back in the early '60s at Richmond Va area tracks. The car number was 58, a blue

and white coach, about '36 vintage, that Lennie ran with the modified division cars. This

car was owned and prepared by another local legend, Bud Walmsley. Lennie has no pics

from that era himself, so I would share anything that turns up.

Any photos from'60sSouthside Speedway, Langley, South Boston, etcare welcome and

greatly appreciated. Post here, or send directly to my e-mail address redicls@gmail.com.

I am an avid fan of the '60s modifieds and have been collecting pics and memorabilia for

several years. Ain't nothin like a '36 Chevy bodied rocket with a Hilborn, and fuel that

made your eyes water when you stood too close!!!

updated by @richard-gouldman: 12/03/21 08:45:25PM
Richard Gouldman
@richard-gouldman
13 years ago
86 posts

I didn't look at every one of your 57,375 pictures, but I did peruse a number of them.

Every track had a photographer on hand every Friday night. (or whatever) There has to be

pictures out there. I spoke with the current photographer at my local track. He has zero knowledge

of '60s activities, and is unaware of any archives. (I don't think he was even born until '80 or so)

Thank you for your reply. We will see what turns up.

Richard Gouldman
@richard-gouldman
13 years ago
86 posts

It's#58...Thank you for responding. I really don't remember what sanctioning body they

ran under. I would have to ask someone, and there aren't many left!! Lennie drove a

number of different cars prior to the big time. I know he had a fair amount of seat time

in the 1VA modified that Eddie Crouse previously drove. There are pics out there for that

car. The #58 coach has just been elusive.

Jim Wilmore
@jim-wilmore
13 years ago
488 posts

One name...Ray Lamm

Jim Wilmore
@jim-wilmore
13 years ago
488 posts

Wow PK, I see you've already done your homework!!!

Richard Gouldman
@richard-gouldman
13 years ago
86 posts

Wow, I'm impressed with all of the response. Thank you for your interest.

I may try and contact the family of Bud Walmsley to see if they have something. Meanwhile, we will see if anyone turns up something here.

Where might I find the pics you mention, #48 and #68?

Thanks again,

Dickie (Richard) Gouldman

S.T.A.R.S. Radio
@stars-radio
13 years ago
514 posts

Richard not sure if these help any but here are 2 I found

Tommie  Clinard
@tommie-clinard
13 years ago
209 posts

Richard. Only one thing worse and that is sitting inside one of those waiting for the race to start. Shop towel drying your eyes until you're going fast enough to clear it out. It also burns the nose. Been there done that.

Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
13 years ago
3,259 posts

You spoke of the Number 1 car that Lenny drove,is this it??

This is the 1VA car of Lenny Pond.

Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
13 years ago
3,259 posts

Tell ya what---you go into our photo section as Ma told you to do and type in pond on left box--then go get you something to drink and set down because there are a ton of folks that put up various pictures up of Lenny Pond

here is a classic--now you go hunting

Jeff Gilder
@jeff-gilder
13 years ago
1,783 posts

Ray has thousands that are not posted here.

--
Founder/Creator - RacersReunion®
Jeff Gilder
@jeff-gilder
13 years ago
1,783 posts

Sadly, there are thousands that are not tagged. Just because they do not show up in a search does not mean they are not there.

--
Founder/Creator - RacersReunion®
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
13 years ago
9,137 posts

I have sent both a personal e-mail and a note on our message board to my old friend Joe Kelly / Let's Talk Racing With Joe, Ruth & Brandan Kelly Radio in Richmond asking if he might have a pic or offer a suggestion. Joe is also a former Southside Speedway promoter and has access to many old pictures. I hope he can steer you to a photo of Lennie in the Bud Walmsley sportsman coach.

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
13 years ago
9,137 posts

Hope you will share the Bud Walmsley/Lennie Pond photo with us here if you are successful.

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
13 years ago
9,137 posts

That's the Shirley Construction modified that Lennie took over after Eddie Crouse won the 1962 and 1963 NASCAR National Modified Championship behind its wheel. Coastal Jack Walker has a 1963 photo of it when Eddie took it to RAMBI.

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
13 years ago
9,137 posts

The car above was also driven by Eddie Royster and Runt Harris.

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
13 years ago
9,137 posts

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
13 years ago
9,137 posts

Should have added the #98 pictured was owned and built by Frank Edwards of Middleburg, NC, who for many years has worked for Rick Hendrick.

--
ray lamm
@ray-lamm
13 years ago
214 posts

this is ray lamm give me few days i got photo lonnie in no.58 modifeild.just got local it plus some photos of lennie pond

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
13 years ago
9,137 posts

atta boy, Raytona!

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
13 years ago
9,137 posts

By the way, here's the obituary story on Bud Wamsley in the Richmond Times Dispatch when he passed in 2009. Bud's name is prominently mentioned in the 1951 Crazy Joe Maphis song, "Racing at Royall Speedway" that I (with PattyKay's assistance) posted on these pages a few weeks back, courtesy of Joe Kelly.

Christopher N. Wamsley Sr., former race driver, dies at 77
By: Ellen Robertson | Richmond Times Dispatch
Published: January 11, 2009

Christopher Neil "Bud" Wamsley Sr. took a wrecked car and with the help of his father and brother built himself a hot rod shortly after graduating from Petersburg High School.

He started racing cars in 1949, driving some of the Richmond area's first roadsters. But roadsters didn't catch on locally, and he jumped on the stock-car bandwagon.

When a newly formed Richmond Stock Car Racing Association initiated weekly racing at Royall Speedway, later Southside Speedway, in 1950, Bud Wamsley often cruised down victory lane.

During a four-year hitch in the Air Force, he worked on airplanes and raced on the side, often coming to a prepped car on a weekend and taking off for a track, said his wife, Gail Page Wamsley.

"Bud was the first NASCAR track champion in the state of Virginia," said local racing historian Joe Kelly, a radio host of "Let's Talk Racing." Mr. Wamsley won the track championship at NASCAR's newly sanctioned Southside Speedway in 1952.

Mr. Wamsley, who had raced at Daytona Beach, Fla., when the "track" was on the beach, died of heart failure Friday at his Colonial Heights home. He was 77.

"He was a darn good driver. He was a no-holds-barred driver," Kelly said. "He was the Dale Earnhardt Sr. before there was Dale Earnhardt Sr. If there was a six-inch hole, he made it big enough to get a car through."

When Mr. Wamsley became a family man about 1954, he continued working for his father's H.E. Wamsley Trucking Co. and raced as time permitted, effectively retiring as a driver. He and his brother, Howard E. Wamsley Jr. of Colonial Heights, bought the business from their father during the early 1970s and then retired in the early 1980s.

In addition to racing, Mr. Wamsley owned racing cars. His was the first car that driver Lennie Pond raced. Pond would go on to race at NASCAR's top level and become the 1973 Rookie of the Year.

"Bud was instrumental in a lot of things with Lennie Pond. Lennie stayed with him 10 years at least running cars for Bud," Kelly said.

The family-owned Wamsley Trucking owned a car that Eddie Crouse drove when he won national championships in 1962 and 1963 in NASCAR's Modified Division.

Mr. Wamsley emerged out of retirement as a driver in 1970. He drove his own car at South Boston and Southside speedways.

In addition to his wife and brother, survivors include a son, C. Neil Wamsley Jr. of Colonial Heights; a stepson, Steven Ashburn of Richmond; two daughters, Joy Moore of Colonial Heights and Kathy Rogers of Acworth, Ga.; his mother, Alma Perkinson Wamsley of Ettrick; a sister, Nancy Chadwick of Colonial Heights; and nine grandchildren and three great-grandchildren.

A funeral will be held Monday at 11 a.m. at the Petersburg Chapel of J.T. Morriss & Son Funeral Home & Cremation Service, 103 S. Adams St. Burial will be in Blandford Cemetery in Petersburg.

--
Richard Gouldman
@richard-gouldman
13 years ago
86 posts

Uuuhh...can I break in here folks? Ha!! Golly-gee!! I am really impressed with all of the response

and interest. Thanks to every one of you!! I have found and saved a lot of the pictures already

that folks are sharing here. Sounds like a matter of time before someone digs out a pic of the #58car.

I have met Joe Kelly on occasion through the years. He has been involved with anything that hadwheels and a motor in this area since before paved roads. I knew or was at least acquainted with most of the area drivers, have been friends with Ted Hairfield since the 60s.

I only met Bud Wamsley once prior to his passing, at the Valentine Museum when they had

a one year exhibit of local racing heritage. Bud had some interesting stories of the good ol'

days of Friday night racing. Tommy Ellis may not have fared so well back in the day. (Ha!)

Richard Gouldman
@richard-gouldman
13 years ago
86 posts

Tommie, I don't know how all of this works. I assume it all goes to be read by all on the racer's

reunion website, but thank you for your input. Other than a little drag racing and go-carts, I

never drove, but I used to hang around some of the race shops, Ted Hairfield's in particular.

On a night when the car was all ready to load up and was fired up for final timing/tuning, there

was just nothing sweeter than the smell and eye-watering burn of alcohol based race fuel, not

to mention the bone rattling tunes produced by an Isky roller tappet equipped small block barkin'

through open headers. And I always had a love affair with the old Hilborn. When my heart

pounds like that now, it's more likely to be a health issue.

I ran alcohol in the go-cart, but....I don't know....a Briggs and Stratton just ain't the same.

Richard Gouldman
@richard-gouldman
13 years ago
86 posts

Woody, if something turns up I hope I can find it, save it, share it, whatever.

I am rather ignorant on some of this computer stuff. Someone will help, I'm certain.

I started attending regularly about '63 and on. Most always sat in the first turn.

'Course there was no second turn. The track had one, only the stands did not.

Sat next to the announcer's booth when someone was friends with Dave Arnett

(announcer at Southside back when) but learned early that that was Ray Hendrick

territory and we were Ted Hairfield fans. Wasn't a pleasant mix.

I became dis-enchanted when they went to late models and didn't attend for a

couple of years, but soon the late models were more competitive and I was lured

back. Had a season pass for awhile, never missed a Friday. Hard to get there more

than a couple times a season now. Intentions are good...body gives up too easy.

Dennis  Garrett
@dennis-garrett
13 years ago
560 posts

Langley Results, Oct 25,1964
Added by Jack Walkeron October 13, 2010 at 11:48am

http://stockcar.racersreunion.com/photo/langley-results-oct-251964

The 2nd annual Ray Platte Memorial Modified- Sportsman race was held at the 4/10 mile dirt Langley Speedway on October 25th, 1964. Forty-Four cars were in the pits attempting to qualify for the 40 starting spots in the 200 lap event. Sonny Hutchins of Richmond, VA turned the fastest lap at 20.83 seconds to win the number one starting spot. Doug Yates on Chapel Hill, NC driving the #1va was able to secure the outside front row starting position. Lap leaders were Sonny Hutchins, Ted Hairfield, Earl Moss, and Ray Hendrick. Hairfield was able to lead on 3 different occasions including the final 73 laps. Lil Bud Moore from Charleston, SC was able to work his way through the field getting as high as 3rd from a starting spot near the rear of the field before his steering locked up. Hairfield and McGinnis went the entire distance without a pit stop. There were 2 red flags, and 3 caution flags in the event. Hairfield won $1000 for the victory before a crowd of 5000 fans

Langley Speedway - Hampton,Va.
200 Lap Modified-Sportsman Race
October 25th, 1964
#58 Lennie Pond Ettrick, Va. Started 11th - Finished 16th

Dennis  Garrett
@dennis-garrett
13 years ago
560 posts

Lennie Pond #58 coach style race car Photo!!! Hopeyou will find some more photos of this race car.

I found an Lennie Pond autograph #1va. #4 #17 #54 #58 #68 modified sportsman Winston Cup Fast Master Class of 1993 1a Front Photo Card.

#1va. #4 #17 #54 #58 #68 modified sportsman Winston Cup Fast Master Class of 1993 1b.Back Photo Card

The Lennie Pond autograph Fast Master Class of 1993 Photo Card was given out at an Driver's Autograph Signing for the RIR race fans at Heritage Chevrolet, located Chester,Va. in 1994.

Lennie Pond was Heritage Chevrolet car salesman at that time.

On back of the Fast Master Class of 1993 Photo Card list Lennie Pond's race history and stats.

"Photocard Courtesy of HeritageChevrolet " "Chester, Va." (804) 748-6461

"CAREER CARD 1994Promotional Images.

Lennie Pond or HeritageChevrolet shouldknow who has copies of Lennie Pond #58 coach style race car Photo!!!

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
13 years ago
9,137 posts

Awesome find, Dennis! Proves once again that folks have come to the right place when they seek stock car racing info from the RR family!

--
ray lamm
@ray-lamm
13 years ago
214 posts

hi dave i got color photo of lennie in 58 it was blue with yellow numbers on it. just got to place it.l working on it.

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
13 years ago
9,137 posts

Between the efforts of Dennis & Raytona, sounds like Dickie is in business!

--
Richard Gouldman
@richard-gouldman
13 years ago
86 posts

Patty, does this go out for everyone to see or should I reply to individualcontributors?

I would like to thank each and every one, Dave, Ray, Dennis, and especially Patty for

your responses, contributions, and just general interest in my quest. This website is

pretty awesome. You folks are die-hard race fans, and some of you must be darn near

old as dirt like me. I hope Ray Lamm digs up the color photo mentioned. Icing on the

cake.

Moving on....anybody that has modified pics from Southside and area tracks, share

them with me. I am a long-time friend of Ted Hairfield. Any pics of Ted, Runt, Sonny,

Rapid Ray, or any others from '60's era Southside, South Boston, Langley, RIR, or

whatever, post 'em.

Thanks again, Dickie

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
13 years ago
9,137 posts

Dickie, got an e-mail back yesterday from Joe Kelly in Richmond who unfortunately could not find a photo of Lennie in the #58 in his collection.

--
ray lamm
@ray-lamm
13 years ago
214 posts

do not give up on me.just got to place it.i saw it about 6months a go going thur some stuff.hope i have in in few days.it color of lennie car 58.

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
13 years ago
9,137 posts

Ray,Hope you are doing ok.

--
Dennis  Garrett
@dennis-garrett
13 years ago
560 posts

Richard Gouldman,

You're an avid fan of the '60s modifieds and have been collecting pics and memorabilia for

several years.

Are you building car models or big replica of Lennie Pond # 58 Coach style race car?

Are you writing an book on auto racing or making an movie onauto racing?

How about the Title of book or movie: 4H Boys of Richmond, Virginia: Ted Hairfield, Runt Harris, Ray Hendrick, and Sonny Hunchins

Opps!!! Ileft outauto racingdrivers BuzzHairfield - son of TedHairfield and Roy Hendrick - son of Ray Hendrick. LOL

Richard Gouldman
@richard-gouldman
13 years ago
86 posts

Hey Dennis,

No, none of the above. I'm just old andnostalgic. I enjoy collecting old pics and memoribilia

from the '60's modified days. My garage wall is full of pictures of oldmodified'sand I do have

some model cars displayed that a local guy built. I also have a set of "Nutmeg" cars that

Ted Hairfield gave me when they were introduced. I have known Ted since the early 60's

and Bugs is also a friend. I raced carts with Bugs when he was a teenager. Roy Hendrick

services all of my vehicles and is also a friend of mine. Someone should write a book about

these drivers.Collectively the 4-H boys had some great successes. (is that too many plurals?)

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
13 years ago
9,137 posts

There are not enough plurals to describe Richmond's 4-H boys who beat the pants off just about everybody who was anybody.

--
ray lamm
@ray-lamm
13 years ago
214 posts

dave, bob johnson of checker flag newspaper out richmond,va. give the name 4-h boys

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
13 years ago
9,137 posts

I remember Bob and the paper being distributed at Southside. I want to remember Bob have a sewing machine and vacuum business, maybe on Hull Street Road?

--
Richard Gouldman
@richard-gouldman
13 years ago
86 posts

Hey guys, thanks for the input. I never knew who tagged the moniker 4-H boys, but then

I guess I never thought about it. I grew up in Southside and Hull Street road area. I vaguely

recall a Bob Johnson. Seemed to me that is who owned Manchester Cleaners, but I may be

confusing places, names, etc. Here's one for you folks. I used to carry newspapers to

Skinny Bartlett when I was a kid. He raced at Southside back in the fifties. Don't recall a

car number, but it was a flathead Ford with 3 deuces. Tuned it in the back yard and flat

towed it to the track. (and never had my paper money!! Ha!)

Richard Gouldman
@richard-gouldman
12 years ago
86 posts

Ray, don't mean to be a bother, but I wuz hoping you would post something. I'm still searching for a picture or two of Lennie's #58 modified.

Regards, Dickie

Richard Gouldman
@richard-gouldman
12 years ago
86 posts

Patty / Jim, I didn't mean to create a fervor. I was merely re-connecting with Ray Lamm who mentioned back in Dec that he had some (or 1) color pics of Lennie's old #58 modified. This was a Bud Wamsley car that Lennie drove in the early 60's in this area. Heck, it's been 49 years since I saw the car. I can wait awhile to see a picture....but I ain't getting any younger...Ha!!

Richard Guido
@richard-guido
12 years ago
238 posts

Jeff is telling the truth aboutRay's archives. Makes my mouth water.

Richard Guido
@richard-guido
12 years ago
238 posts

That is a keeper Johnny, I am going to save it and enhance the pic and post it here.

Richard Guido
@richard-guido
12 years ago
238 posts

I do not think that Lennie ever had any hair but is one of my alltime favorites. An old head like myself has fond memories of Lennies Gold 54 Chevy that he ran in Grand National, what a beautiful car.

Richard Guido
@richard-guido
12 years ago
238 posts

This has been a wonderful thread as pics are my thing but I am just a scavenger compared to the efforts seen here. I am humbled to say the least.

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

Awesome that you were able to come up with the photo (as posted below).

I note that the link indicates that the photo of Lennie in the #58 Sportsman was taken at Richmond's Southside Speedway by Walt Wimer.

Great work Mr. Shady!

--
Dennis  Garrett
@dennis-garrett
7 years ago
560 posts

[quote="Dave Fulton"]

Awesome that you were able to come up with the photo (as posted below).

I note that the link indicates that the photo of Lennie in the #58 Sportsman was taken at Richmond's Southside Speedway by Walt Wimer.

Great work Mr. Shady!

[/quote]

Wonder if this Lennie Pond #58 Sportsman Coach is still around?

How many races did it win?

Dennis Garrett

Richmond,Va.

updated by @dennis-garrett: 01/18/20 05:20:38AM