Sadly Don Naman Has Passed

Jeff Gilder
@jeff-gilder
13 years ago
1,783 posts
You may recall an earlier post that Don Naman was doing poorly. I just received notice that he has passed away.

--
Founder/Creator - RacersReunion®

updated by @jeff-gilder: 04/02/17 12:48:00AM
ray lamm
@ray-lamm
13 years ago
214 posts
it sad to to hear my prayer are to his family at this time.don will be miss
Mike Sykes
@mike-sykes
13 years ago
308 posts

Our thoughts and prayers are with his family in this sad time. Don will be remembered by any one that called him friend. God Speed Don....

Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
13 years ago
3,119 posts
Ann and I join others of you expressing condolences to the Naman family. He contributed so much to the sport we all love and was probably the least recognized for those contributions, or at least it seems that way to me.

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
13 years ago
4,073 posts

A nice article about Don from 4 years ago in the Knoxville News Sentinel. Focuses a good bit on his days at Smoky Mountain Raceway in Maryville, TN. R.I.P. Mr. Naman.

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2007/jul/21/dirt-smoky-mountain/

--
Schaefer: It's not just for racing anymore.
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
13 years ago
9,137 posts
So sad to see this news. Don was a fine man and a heck of a racetrack operator. He will be missed by all.

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
13 years ago
9,137 posts

From The Huntsville Times:

Don Naman, long-time Talladega Superspeedway executive, dies

Published: Monday, July 25, 2011, 7:12 PM Updated: Monday, July 25, 2011, 7:42 PM

By Mark McCarter, The Huntsville Times

TALLADEGA, Ala. -- Don Naman, an influential figure in the growth of Talladega Superspeedway, died Monday after an extended illness. He was 75. Namam was the first general manager at the speedway, in 1970, when it was still called Alabama International Motor Speedway. His PR skills and imagination helped gain attention for the speedway from fans and media alike. Naman later moved essentially across the hall after 18 years with the speedway to take over as director of the International Motorsports Hall of Fame on the Talladega Superspeedway grounds where he spent 12 years. Among the many honors Naman received, he was one of three men inaugurated in the first Hall of Honor of the Alabama Sports Writers Association, along with former Auburn sports information director and director of athletics David Housel and the late University of Alabama sports information director Charley Thornton. Naman was preceded in death by his wife, Joanne. Naman was born in Brooklyn, but when assigned to a military base near Knoxville, he decided to remain in the South, going to work at an East Tennessee speedway and beginning to work his way up the ladder in motorsports. Grant Lynch, Talladega Superspeedway general manager, issued a statement Monday evening. "Our thoughts and prayer are with the Naman family and friends as they mour the loss of Don. Don played a significant role in the growth of Talladega Superspeedway during his 18 years as general manager. "When Don transitioned to the executive director role at the International Motorsports Hall of Fame and Museum, he poured his heart and soul into the facility. He was a wonderful man with a wealth of knowledge on all things racing. He will truly be missed."

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
Robert Turner
@robert-turner
13 years ago
88 posts

Sorry to hear about Don, I had the pleasure of meeting him while shooting Talladega and pre race press conferences. He was a valuable asset to the sport that he loved and represented it well. Our hearts and prayers for the Naman family and all those associated with him and the speedway and HOF.

Leon Phillips
@leon-phillips
13 years ago
626 posts
Our Prayers or with the Naman family God speed Don
Mike Ashley
@mike-ashley
13 years ago
37 posts

Another good one gone.A great man that never met a stranger a truegentleman. If anyone wants to read the newspaper obit it can be found in the Gadsden Alabama newspaper www.gadsdentimes.com on the header bar go to obits.

Now for Don as a race track guy he will never have a rain out, the stands will be full, and a always have a fullfield of cars. Rest in peace old friend.

Mike Ashley Rome GA