Memories of Another Blue & Gold Car

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

It wasn't a Cup car. The number wasn't #70. The sponsor wasn't Rumple Furniture, Bailey Excavating or even Wilders, Inc. The shades of blue & gold weren't a perfect match.

But, watching Kevin Harvick wheel his blue & gold car with white numbers to victory lane at Richmond Friday night sure made me think of another blue & gold car with white numbers that made a many a lap at the Richmond track before Harvick ever raced there.

Steve Helber - Associated Press Photo

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"

updated by @dave-fulton: 02/07/20 10:31:14AM
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

Beginning in 1966 and continuing through 1989, JD McDuffie cranked up his #70 for 39 Cup races at Richmond and led 2 of the 11,062 laps he completed at Paul Sawyer's Richmond track.

--
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
12 years ago
4,073 posts

Speaking of that color pattern, how about this version of Buddy Arrington's Dodge on his Magnum in 1978?

(From Craig Bontrager's gallery)

--
Schaefer: It's not just for racing anymore.
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

Thanks, Chase... I always think of those reddish/maroon cars when I think of Buddy.

--
Mike Ashley
@mike-ashley
12 years ago
37 posts

JD and Glen, just good people

Dennis  Garrett
@dennis-garrett
12 years ago
560 posts

I guessing you're talking about Bubba Tatum #83 FIDELITY NATIONAL BANK Chevelle.

Bubba Tatum #83 FIDELITY NATIONAL BANK Chevelle
http://stockcar.racersreunion.com/photo/bubba-tatum-and-his-chevelle

Best looking painted #83 race cars in Va.!!
http://stockcar.racersreunion.com/photo/photo/search?q=bubba++tatum

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

Yep, there have been some good looking blue & gold cars, 'cept I seem to recall member Jim Wilmore not liking that combo too well. Dennis, I'd forgotten about those nice looking Bubba Tatum Late Model Sportsman cars. And, Woody, we all remember David Pearson getting around the "new" 1/2-mile Richmond Fairgrounds asphalt in that #17 Holman-Moody Ford just as good as he got around the "old" dirt track in the Cotton Owens' #6 Dodges.

--
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
12 years ago
4,073 posts

This has turned into a fun thread. I bet we could start new ones with other primary/secondary color combinations. That's where the history shared on this site comes alive. Much easier to keep a thread going with cars of old vs. more contemporary ones. Can you imagine our trying to find similar design schemes to car such as these?

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I guess when hand painting took a back seat to the "wrap" we kinda went into a space warp from which we shall never recover.

--
G.T. Nolen
@gt-nolen
12 years ago
17 posts

Hey!!! That was my car!! Bubba drove for me forquite a fewyears

Tommy

TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
12 years ago
4,073 posts

How about Walter Ballard in the 1972 Daytona 500?

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

And Junie Donlavey added a touch of red & white to the blue & gold scheme on the famed Truxmore Mercs

--
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
12 years ago
4,073 posts

And then you've got a whole gaggle of cars built by blue-and-gold clothed 'crewmen'.

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

Now you're hitting close to home, Chase.

A number of those Pinewood Derby cars have gone through final prep in the Fulton's Charlotte garage by the older grandson.

Back in the day ( the olden days ) when I was a Cub Scout in the 1950s, we didn't have the Pinewood Derby. Many women were "Stay-at-home" moms and we had a den mother for my Den 3 of Pack 714 at Westminster Presbyterian Church in Richmond. We wore our uniform to school and met weekly at the Den Mother's house and monthly at the church Pack Meeting.

And I can really bore you by stating that my blue and gold 1950s Cub Scout uniform (along with a Boy Scout cap) has a place of honor in the cedar chest that resides at the foot of the bed in our master bedroom.

Check these out. Please note the SANFORIZE D tag in the "Official Shirt." Those are the same folks (Cluett-Peabody, Inc. ) who'd later provide the funding for my Wrangler SanforSet 400 races at Richmond.

--
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
12 years ago
4,073 posts

Speaking of which, my son - toomuchtexting - and I delivered his Eagle Scout project yesterday. Finally I get my garage back! His project was to build 21 pedestals for the art lab of Room In The Inn - a homeless support organization in Nashville ( http://roomintheinn.org ). The pedestals are of varying heights and widths so they can be stacked inside one another for storage when not in use. One 36" x 36" x 18" pedestal actually holds 6 more. Paperwork and a board of review are all that stands between him and his Eagle court of honor.

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

Awesome accomplishment by your son!

--
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
12 years ago
4,073 posts

How about Bobby Allison in the 1969 Daytona 500?

Source: Ron Wetzler

--
Dennis Andrews
@dennis-andrews
12 years ago
835 posts

TMC, The first Pinewood Derby held in my home town (66 or 67) was my last year in Cub Scouts. I wanted to build my car by my self and being our first time out I did not know all the trick things that made a car fast but it was sharp. Shaped like a midget car and painted blue with a #4 on it like dad's race car, even got a ribbon for Best Appearing. Then can race time, mine was the last to leave the gate, it just did make it down the incline before a wheel feel off and it stopped half way along the flat part of the track. Never made it to the finish. I had to go collect the pieces alone while everyone else was at the finish line. My first personal experience with loosing a race, yuck! Dad was as embarrassed as I was, maybe more so when you here the rest of the story.

The next year I was a Boy Scout and my brother, Keith stepped up to represent the family in the Derby. This time dad helped build the car. Even built a track in the basement to test on. Shaped like a wedge and painted to look like the STP turbine car #40. It was fast too. Won the first race and kept right on winning all the way to the State Title. Went right far in the Nationals as well but I can't remember how far he got. Keith did help build the car but dad made sure there was not a repeat of my performance.

TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
11 years ago
4,073 posts

I think Delma Cowart's 1981 Buick fits this theme.

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

Delma's Daytona partying was legendary. Might explain some of his wild crashes at "Big D."

Here's a good Delma piece from 2009:

All-Star Flashback: The Clown Was Shut Down In Showdown
Rick Minter | Senior Writer, RacinToday.com Saturday, 16 May 2009

The late Joe Weatherly was NASCARs original Clown Prince, a driver who loved to have a great time and went to great lengths to make sure everyone around him enjoyed themselves as well.

Delma Cowart was the most recent driver to wear the Clown crown. The Savannah, Ga., native ran his first race in the division now known as Sprint Cup at Atlanta Motor Speedway in 1981. He ran 21 races over an eight-year span before an incident during the NASCAR All-Star race in the mid-1990s ended his Cup career.

It was a vintage Delma Cowart affair.

He showed up to run the preliminary race now known as the Sprint Showdown.

His engine blew in practice, and his crew spent the whole afternoon trying to make the repairs.

They finished their work just as prayer was said and the National Anthem sung. The only thing missing: the required NASCAR inspection.

They said, Gentleman, start your engines, so I cranked mine up in the garage area, said Cowart, 67. I hopped in it and drove by the tech shed, but it was locked up.

He figured, What the heck? so he pulled onto the track and started racing. He ran about four laps before NASCAR officials black-flagged him off the track.

They were raising cain with my crew chief, and after the race they called me to the trailer for a little conversation, Cowart said. It was kind of a warm conversation. They said I should have known better.

I told them I didnt think theyd mind.

Told hed be fined $5,000, he paused and said, Make it $5,000,000 because I aint giving you a dime.

His days as a NASCAR driver were over for Cowart, who now works as a construction contractor, building swimming pools and installing septic tanks in his hometown.

But hes far from forgotten on the NASCAR circuit. Most of the good Delma Cowart stories carry a dateline of Daytona Beach.

Cowart made four starts in the circuits premier race, the Daytona 500, but he was better known for his Speedweeks parties than his performance on the track.

Atlanta Motor Speedway president Ed Clark remembers one year at Daytona, when he spent most of Speed Weeks sick in bed with the flu. Unfortunately for him, his bed was right over the hotel bar, where Cowart was spending most of his nights playing the piano and entertaining the audience. The whole bed was rocking, Clark said. I couldnt sleep.

After several years away from the track, Cowart was once again allowed to enter the garage. Mostly he comes to reminisce and to line up some Cup drivers for charity events he ram-rods around Savannah. He said the same man who once banned him, NASCAR president Mike Helton, signed the pass that now gets him in the track.

I asked Mike if hed gone brain dead when he signed for me, Cowart said. He just grinned and said he must have slipped up.

He said that age 67 he still enjoys himself, whatever hes doing.

You hear people say that if theyd known they were going to live that long theyd have taken better care of themselves, he said. The way I look at it, if Id known I was going to live this long Id have run a little harder into the corner at some of those short tracks.

--
Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
11 years ago
3,259 posts

Now Im going to strain your brains a little,or a lot depending on who you are, but in Tim Leemings dynasty in the racing circle he also had painted his Plymouth and numbered it #2 ,, my memory of it in my rearview mirror was of it being painted Blue and Gold.

When you set in the stands in Columbia you look at the cars going by through a white fence and it does make for some fantastic photos -- maybe Tim will allow the world a glimpse of some of his cherished photos of real racing --BACK in the DAY.................... Memories

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

Didn't need none of those current NASCAR roof fins to keep Legend from getting airborne!

--
Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
11 years ago
3,259 posts

Yup thats it---now Dave and some others can see what a real painted race car looks like

Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
11 years ago
3,259 posts

He was a high flyer back then and a pretty good driver too.. Tim also knew how to keep his car out of trouble

Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
11 years ago
3,259 posts

Now would I do such a thing to a fellow racer?? now you answer it as you may have already done

Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
11 years ago
3,259 posts

Now to put sound to what a car back in that era really sounded like ,here is a carbon copy of Tims Car being unloaded at Columbia Speedway

Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
11 years ago
3,259 posts

Actually I was riding along picking off cars as they come when ole sideburns decided he wanted in on the action too. He wanted to change sides without waiting his turn and the doughnut appeared. But of course there will be another side told as always,guess thats why we argue so much ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,memories

Patsy Thompkins ~ Keisler
@patsy-thompkins-keisler
11 years ago
559 posts

That is funny...and sad...at the same time, Dennis! Bless..your Heart!

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

Cool... and I know all about those painted racecars, lol!

--
Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
11 years ago
3,259 posts

did yall ck out the sound on this one?

TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
11 years ago
4,073 posts

I touched on Bobby Allison's B&G ride several weeks ago. How about brother Donnie?

From Richard Guido collection...

and from Ray Lamm collection...

--