Tiny Lund Won BOTH NASCAR Halves 42 Years Ago!

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

Those of us who watched saw that the SPEED Channel (FOX) broadcasters couldn't average the finishes of the competitors in the first segments of NASCAR's recent All-Star race at Charlotte. That led the network to display incorrect graphics about the order of entry to pit road before the final segment.

Tim Leeming has recently taken us back in time to when the spring Rebel race at Darlington was split into two segments with the winner being determined by the combined results.

It just so happens that 42 years ago, Tiny Lund captured the honors at a NASCAR Grand American race at Road Atlanta in Lanier, Georgia that was split into two equal segments. Lund won both segments and the overall title. Ironically, 2nd place finisher Gene Felton was running a rear gear borrowed from Tiny.

Early this year the official Road Atlanta blog highlighted Lund's May 23, 1971 win there in the following article:

Road Atlanta Blog

The GRAND-AM Rolex Sports Car Series makes its Road Atlanta debut April 19-20. Formed in 1999, it is recognized as the most competitive road racing series in North America, if not the world, due to its close competition and wild finishes.

The Gainesville Times

The Gainesville Times

But the GRAND-AM name is not really new to Road Atlanta.

In the late 1960s and early 70s, NASCAR sanctioned a series known as Grand-American (often called the Baby Grand Series). It consisted primarily of American muscle pony cars like Mustangs and Camaros. The Grand-American series raced primarily on short ovals in the south. However, in 1971 Grand-American visited Road Atlanta, which had opened just a year earlier.

On May 23, 1971 a field of 35 Grand-American NASCAR racers took the green flag in an unusual format two 50-lap heats with the results combined to determine the overall winner of the 100-lap total. In other words, the race had a halftime like a football game!

As with most Grand-American races, Tiny Lund dominated both heats in his 1969 Camaro (Tiny wasnt so Tiny at 6-foot 5-inches and 300 pounds). Veteran road racer Gene Felton took second place in his Camaro, followed by Buck Baker in a Firebird and Bobby Allison in a Cougar. Finishing fifth was celebrity Dick Smothers, host of the Smother Brothers television show! Ironically, the first car out of the race was the defending Daytona 500 champion Pete Hamilton. There were only two foreign cars in the field, a Fiat and a BMW, and neither were competitive against the thundering herd of American muscle cars.

The Grand-American series ended the following year, and has faded into history. Few remember this NASCAR series, which is a shame because it was similar to Trans-Am but oriented toward ovals.1970-NASCAR Road Atlanta_Red's Camaro_2ndPlace

In the four years Grand-American existed, it attracted NASCAR regulars such as Donnie Allison, Buck Baker, James Hylton, Dick Brooks and Tiny Lund, who all became better than average road racers. But it was Lund (a former Daytona 500 winner) who emerged as king of the series, winning an incredible 41 times in just the four years the series existed. Road racers Don Yenko and Vince Gimondo also won races, and even Indy 500 ace Lloyd Ruby won once, but it was Tiny Lund who dominated. Sadly, he was killed at Talladega a few years later in a NASCAR Winston Cup race.

GRAND-AM is coming April 19-20- it should be a fantastic race! But remember that 42 years ago Grand-American came to Road Atlanta, and a BIG man named Tiny was the winner!

By: Ken Breslauer

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"

updated by @dave-fulton: 12/05/16 04:00:58PM
Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
11 years ago
3,119 posts

Wow Dave! This is awesome. I had forgotten that race completely and with all the close association I had with Tiny, I am surprised that slipped my mind. Thank you for finding it and sharing. Oh, and apparently I am no better at math than the FOX/Speed staff but I've always known I was terrible in math.

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
11 years ago
4,073 posts

Appreciate your posting this Dave. Was hoping someone would get it rolling as I had an article already ID'd to add to it. Ha. Found this article a couple of days ago about Paschal winning the pole and comedian Dick Smothers being in the race. I have some recollections of watching the Smothers Brothers show back in the day. As a kid, I obviously didn't get a lot of the political jokes and other innuendos. But I do remember laughing at some of the sketches.

The imaged quality of this photo is terrible. But it with being an AP Wirephoto, I hope someone else will have a better resolution of it.

--
Schaefer: It's not just for racing anymore.

updated by @tmc-chase: 05/23/19 09:54:09AM
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
11 years ago
4,073 posts

And just a few weeks ago, Ed Wheatley shared this photo of the Camaro driven in that race by John Greenwood and Dick Smothers.

--
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
11 years ago
4,073 posts

And thanks to ebay, here is a photo (albeit watermarked) of Tiny in victory lane.

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

Good stuff, Chase. The AP reports talk of Tiny cutting the corners, kicking up dirt and even once losing the lead to Felton after a spin, but quickly passing him back. AP also notes a bad Pete Hamilton accident.

And there was a JUNIOR present, but not named Johnson or Dale.

Who can guess which Junior was the Grand Marshal for the Road Atlanta NASCAR Grand American race?

HINT : Dial BR-549

See the link below for the answer (if I were smart like Chase I would capture a screen shot and post, but I ain't)

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=eAwsAAAAIBAJ&sjid=IMgEAAAA...

--
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
11 years ago
4,073 posts

Two more photos of Tiny's eventual day. I just KNOW a better quality version of these have to be out there.

Tiny's version of the SPIN and WIN (Source: Spartanburg Herald Journal )

Tiny's sponsor Pepsi Cola couldn't have been nearly as sweet as the peck on the cheek of Miss BP. (Source: Florence Times - Tri-Cities Daily )

--

updated by @tmc-chase: 05/23/19 09:54:32AM
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

OMG! Did anyone tell Bill Brodrick there was a "Miss BP" hanging around a NASCAR race?!

--
Dennis Andrews
@dennis-andrews
11 years ago
835 posts

Thanks Dave, As you can imagine I always like seeing stories about the Grand American series. I have no pictures to contribute but I can share what dad told me about his experience in the Lanier 250.

For reasons not remembered they got there late and got no practice. First time on the track was for qualifying. Having never seen the track Dad had gone to Paschal to inquire about getting around the place. His response, "Pull that jock strap tight and don't lift under the bridge." Dad can't remember where he qualified but did say "I lifted under the bridge!"

The clutch came out in the first 50 lapper and he tore the transmission up trying to finish with no clutch. Said he didn't think he made the second 50 laps.

Dad did remember the disappointment of Bud Moore being there to see him run and as he put it "Got there late and it went down hill from there."

That's racing.

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

It is always great to hear the personal "real" memories from your father that you are able to post, Dennis. Thanks so much.

--
Andy DeNardi
@andy-denardi
11 years ago
365 posts

I ran Road Atlanta three times and can testify that it's very hard not to lift as you go under the bridge. Even if you've gone flat out through there fifty times, you still stop and think every time you come up to that corner. They've changed the downhill some and the lead-in to it has changed a lot. I imagine it's not as tough any more. I was not very successful there but it's still one of my top three favorites.

I remember Grand-Am very well and to this day I'm annoyed that the name was stolen for us in the inferior sportscar series. Dick Smothers competed in many series including the Indy 500. For a time he had a column in Car & Driver magazine, back when it still had chutzpah and integrity. As I recall, he wasn't really that good but like Marty Robbins he had a lot of fun just being there.

Dennis Andrews
@dennis-andrews
11 years ago
835 posts

Found this in the Gadsden Times.