Stock Car Racing magazine cover project

Russ Thompson
@russ-thompson
11 years ago
46 posts

I've been a little bored lately. I had all the "Stock Car Racing" magazine covers scanned, so I thought I should do something with them.

Here is the result

I think it's every cover. If you know of one I'm missing, please let me know.

Call it my Christmas present to RR.

These are posted for research purposes only.

I realize it's a different world, but in looking at all of these in one place made me wonder if the part of the reason for the demise of the magazine was because they got away in part from what made them successful.

Of the first 31 covers, all but two featured Grand National cars. The two that didn't featured a driver in victory lane of a major GN race (Mario at Daytona and Cale at Darlington). Ironically, of the final 32 editions of the magazine, a Cup car was featured on the cover of only two.

As I said, I realize there was more to it than that - mainly the internet and the speed at which information is passed along. I'm sure many here remember when SCR was one of the main sources for a fan to get details of races, even if that information was months old by the time you read it.

Anyway, hope you enjoy looking at the covers and that maybe they stir up some fond memories.

updated by @russ-thompson: 12/05/16 04:00:58PM
Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
11 years ago
3,259 posts

Wow Now I guess we can call this ----------- THE SOURCE

TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
11 years ago
4,073 posts

This is a cool project you've built and offered Russ. You've now saved me from searching on ebay in the future ... or emailing you with yet another cover request! Ha.

What we now need to figure out is how to anchor / bookmark the page on RR so folks can refer to it frequently before this thread disappears into the abyss of the site.

--
Schaefer: It's not just for racing anymore.
Andy DeNardi
@andy-denardi
11 years ago
365 posts
I only read the magazine regularly through 1977 but I remember all of those covers. I wish now that I had held on to all of them. I understand that Junior collects them and pays decent cash for a good copy. The only one I saved was November 1970 because the Petty Superbird was on the cover, and I think it may be in the centerfold also.Following racing was kind of nice in those days. The season started earlier and SCR provided coverage coverage of races that had ran a month ago, so there really wasn't a time where you didn't have a race report to follow. And to get COLOR pictures of race cars when you mostly saw black & white TV and newspaper photos was really something special. the monthly magazines like car & driver didn't have a lot of NASCAR coverage with good pictures and Autoweek had grainy color photos on newsprint.
Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
11 years ago
3,119 posts

Incredible post!!!! I really enjoyed reviewing all these covers. I have most of the magazines in storage as I subscribed from almost day one. I really enjoy reviewing these cover shots.

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

Russ, this is a wonderful project you've shared with us.

I have my own theories about the demise of SCR - and. I began purchasing it with the inaugural issue. Seems to me there was a real downturn when it was sold to Lopez Publications. Also, for my money, when Dick Berggren came on board, way too much space was devoted to the building of his project cars.

Fans like me wanted to read about the races, tracks, and drivers, not about how to construct a car. There were books on the street by chassis experts for that purpose.

I only have two copies of SCR left in my possession, neither anything special. My buddy, Frank, in Pennsylvania, tells me he and I are visible in the 2nd issue (July 1966) around the flagstand, waiting with Miss Firebird, Winkie Louise, as the checkers dropped on Paul Goldsmith winning the first, last, and only Peach Blossom 500 at Rockingham in March 1966.

Thank you so much for this wonderful Christmas present, Russ.

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
Bobby Williamson
@bobby-williamson
11 years ago
907 posts

Thanks Russ! I subscribed to SCR for years back in the day. Many of these are familiar.

Jack Walker
@jack-walker
10 years ago
162 posts

Several years ago I made an index of the first 10 years of Stock Car Racing Magazine. It's in a searchable word file, and covers most articles in each issue listed by page number. I guess one of these days I need to finish the project.

If you have Microsoft Word click here :

Stock Car Racing Mag Index

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
10 years ago
9,137 posts

That's a really nice index of Stock Car Racing Magazine articles and content you compiled, Jack. According to your index, the photo of my buddy Frank & I at the Rockingham flagstand with Miss Firebird as the checkers fly on Paul Goldsmith would be in Volume I, Issue #2, July 1966 Page 24 or nearby in the article on the Peach Blossom 500. If anybody has a copy, I'd love to see that photo scanned for old time's sake.

--
Jack Walker
@jack-walker
10 years ago
162 posts

Hey Dave - I'll dig it out.

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
10 years ago
9,137 posts

Jack, that would be amazing to see after 48 years! Thanks.

--
Jack Walker
@jack-walker
10 years ago
162 posts

Here you go Dave - Hope you've got good eyes....

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
10 years ago
9,137 posts

Jack... my buddy Frank is the first person visible immediately to the right of the flag stand gate. I am right in front of him with my Kodak 8mm movie camera up to my face.

--
Jack Walker
@jack-walker
10 years ago
162 posts

Dave - This may be just a "little" clearer.

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
10 years ago
9,137 posts

Thanks, Jack.

--
Robert Mitchell
@robert-mitchell
10 years ago
327 posts

That's awesome! Man, what I would give to look though every issue.

Russ, I've got a copy of a page out of an old magazine that has a photo that's very important to me. If you, or anyone here recognize what magazine it came from it would fill a long quest to solve this mystery.

The page came from RR member Ronda McKnight via Bobby Williamson. I contacted Ronda and all she could tell me was it came from an old racing magazine. Do you, or anybody else here, recognize where this page came from? It's been driving me crazy for years and I have got to find this magazine!

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
10 years ago
9,137 posts

Robert, since the photos on the magazine page are attributed to being furnished by Union 76, it is likely the magazine issue is from 1970 forward. The Pure gas brand was used in NASCAR through the 1969 season before being rebranded as Union 76 for 1970.

--
Robert Mitchell
@robert-mitchell
10 years ago
327 posts

Thank you, Dave for the sharp observance! That's a big help eliminating everything from 1970 on back. With that info and the yellowing of the page, it makes me think the magazine is probably '70s.