Modified pictures everywhere...

Bumpertag
@bumpertag
14 years ago
363 posts

Why are there so many "Open Wheeled Modified" pictures under the Stock Car tab? Some on dirt, some on asphalt. Can't they go somewhere else? When I click on the Stock Car tab, I'd rather see only asphalt stock car pictures. I can't be the only one that feels this way. It takes too long to shuffle through a lot of pictures of modies to find stockers. I understand that at some point back in the distant past that the line between stockers and modifieds was very close and maybe ever zig zagged enough that there was no clear definition of one or the other. But shouldn't the modies be under the open wheel tab?

Sorry if I ofended anyone, thats not my intent. Just looking for clarity.

updated by @bumpertag: 12/05/16 04:02:07PM
Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
14 years ago
3,259 posts
oh ooh oh you just missed hurting my feeling ha ha ha-- think back bumpertag,way back,well maybe you need to get someone who can go back in the day but racing started on dirt,out of any thing that could be pieced together and the coupes,sedans and skeeters evolved--now mind you that somewhere in the 70's i think there was a shift towards asphalt and the bodies became more new car like --i guess these are the cars you are looking for, but now tracks are taking up the pavement and the cars are taking it off too-- fenders that is so we are revolving around to the mods again --you arent hurting my feeling because we all can get along and the sandbox is big enough for a bunch of different kinds so would you have the open wheel cars which some refer to as modifieds go get in another sandbox? that would let those new style springloaded cars hike up their rear and throw dirt at each other without having a bunch of noisey modifieds setting around . my point of view only bumpertag --- its only racing and we dont do battle the way those gladiators do at bowman grey-----------------------------memories
Jeff Gilder
@jeff-gilder
14 years ago
1,783 posts
The Vintage gallery has mostly stock cars in it....and only the best of those. It was developed so folks wouldn't have to navigate through a lot of stuff to see the gems.

--
Founder/Creator - RacersReunion®
Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
14 years ago
3,259 posts
on the lighter side of the coin bumpertag I am building a chevy coupe now and using the way of yesteryear to fabricate it,so I guess it will be considered a modified by some,an old coupe by others but in reality its a race car and yes it will compete as it will not be a poser --it may not not be squeaky clean and straight but it will be touch me please car-- here is what it looked like before we finally got it out of the woods

Bumpertag
@bumpertag
14 years ago
363 posts
Good points by all. Let me explain where I'm coiming from and try to mend a few fences at the same time. I love racing! I tell people that I would watch Ostrich Racing if thats all I could find. I like it all, any kind of racing I can find on TV, I watch it. I love the sport of auto racing. I dream of racing. That being said, my passion is NASCAR racing, and more particularity, NASCAR from the early 60's up to 1980 when the smaller cars came into existance. When the cars were actually cars. I've never tought much of modies because to me, they didn't look like cars. I stopped going to dirt races when the Wedge car took over. I wanted to see Camaros and Mustangs and a Nova from time to time. I don't get excited about a Wedge car running around on 3 wheels. I watch it but only because it's racing.The Modifies fall into the same catagory with me. If it don't have full fenders it just doesn't appeal to me. I understand that this is part of the history of NASCAR and they to need to be remembered. My comment was more to the fact that it takes too long to flip through the growing number of modifies to find what I was looking for, and the fact that these pictures are under the Stock Car tab. We all have our favorites and I want to encourage everyone to keep posting these wonderful pictures and stories from the past, I just wish there was a way to filter the photos to make it easy to find each particular style and type.I can't find the words to let you all know how much I love this site. There is nothing like RR anywhere else on the web that I have found. Great job to all who make this avaliable to us all. Now, lets go racing!
Ricky J. Coody
@ricky-j-coody
14 years ago
16 posts
Four wheels, turns left, has a motorhead behind the wheel,sounds like racing to me!! Wether on dtrt or asphault, modified, late model,sprintcar, street stock,ect... I'm glued to my seat, in the racecar or the stands, I want to see, hear,and smell them all!!! RR serves a varrity just like the Saturday night tracks! STAND ON IT AND TURN LEFT!! Rick
Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
14 years ago
3,259 posts
Well Robbie it took 8 people to get it out and one axe ha ha not really but it did take the better part of the day to winch it out and on to a trailer so its not exactly a barn find but a deep woods find Robbie Solesbee said:
I don't know whether you need an archeological team to extract that car or a chainshaw and shovel.

johnny mallonee said:
on the lighter side of the coin bumpertag I am building a chevy coupe now and using the way of yesteryear to fabricate it,so I guess it will be considered a modified by some,an old coupe by others but in reality its a race car and yes it will compete as it will not be a poser --it may not not be squeaky clean and straight but it will be touch me please car-- here is what it looked like before we finally got it out of the woods

Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
14 years ago
3,259 posts
joe what was that 40 ford your dad drove?? or the 37 flat back were they stock cars or were they sportman class or were they modified--- you tell me they were what made us have this club we have here-- no store bought car or a springloaded chassis car they were built from whatever was around that service station down town augusta or what your dad could build or swap out with someone--- You and I are Half a generation apart I saw it in action,you got in on the tail end of it when your dad had the tiger by the tail---now you tell me how to define what one or either the other they are !!! Joe Riddle said:
Well Bumpertag, for what its worth, I'm with you on this one all the way!!! I feel the same way you do about this. I just dont get it either. I said something about it in the past, and got no where.
Kerry Viar
@kerry-viar
14 years ago
4 posts
I feel your pain Bumpertag,but I go the opposite way! I too wish they'd seperate the NASCAR cup stuff away from the best racing and best looking cars ,the coupes and coaches. I was crazy about Earnhardt,but I don't want to see any NASCAR CUP stuff after the Daytonas and Superbirds!
Bumpertag
@bumpertag
14 years ago
363 posts
This is getting out of hand. WAY TOO MANY modifieds, it's taking too long to find what I came to this for. Still love the site but wish there was someway to refine the "Stock Car" tab to eliminate the modifieds. For a long time it was just the opposite, lots of stockers and a very few modies. Now it seems we are finding it harder to post new stock car pictures so the modies are being posted instead. As with other annoyances in life, "this to will pass."
David Bentley
@david-bentley
14 years ago
9 posts
Bumpertag, I understand your dilemia, but I too prefer the old modifieds, late model sportmans to the newer stockers. I do enjoy the old grandnational photos on this site. Here's a site for you that is devoted to just old full bodied stockers, don't know if you have seen it, but thought I'd send it your way. http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=289913
David Bentley
@david-bentley
14 years ago
9 posts
Let me correct my spelling of "dilemma", my spelling's not bad, my typing not so good!
Jeff Gilder
@jeff-gilder
14 years ago
1,783 posts
Let me try this again....If you will view the "Vintage Racing Gallery" you'll find it does not contain all those Mods...mostly stockers. We take the "cream of the crop" and place it in there almost every day. Bumpertag said:
This is getting out of hand. WAY TOO MANY modifieds, it's taking too long to find what I came to this for. Still love the site but wish there was someway to refine the "Stock Car" tab to eliminate the modifieds. For a long time it was just the opposite, lots of stockers and a very few modies. Now it seems we are finding it harder to post new stock car pictures so the modies are being posted instead. As with other annoyances in life, "this to will pass."

--
Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
14 years ago
3,259 posts
Bumper tag sir define way to many -- how are you defining a modified? could it be a 75 chevy nova with a big block in it?? this could be called a modified--or maybe a Monti carlo body on a a tube frame,that could be a modified-- how about Sam Ards cars what would you call them?? Is it just because you dont like to see things without fenders ? I have a few pictures of the sprint cars I drove but I didnt put them here because they are clearly a different class. Now you are saying there are way to many modifieds here,does that mean when I finish my coupe I will not be able to post my car here on my page??? Im sorry sir that I picked a car that was out of contex for this site-- I will try to sell what I have so far to build it with then I will contact you and the others that think coupes and modifieds dont belong here and you all tell me what to build so I can post my car im building on racers reunion and everybody will be happy.Is this what we are to do? Are you going to clarify what a modified is? Surely you thought all this through before you posted your displeasure. I await you response Sir before I continue with my build Jeff Gilder said:
Let me try this again....If you will view the "Vintage Racing Gallery" you'll find it does not contain all those Mods...mostly stockers. We take the "cream of the crop" and place it in there almost every day.

Bumpertag said:
David Bentley
@david-bentley
14 years ago
9 posts
I think this site is great, there's a little bit of everything on here and a lot of neat racing fanatics to share memories with. Hope everybody continues using the site. For people who really prefer stock cars, I suggest you contact member Ray Lamm and get his photo sharing site address, he has more stock related items that you can look at in month, he has them separated in categories from driver, to division, to make of car. If you like stock cars he's your man. I do hope you continue participating on this site, I think all race fans have their favorite era and type of car, but a true race fan I feel, appreciates seeing all the great photos posted here.
Bumpertag
@bumpertag
14 years ago
363 posts
Jeff I went to that page and still saw many modified racers. Maybe it's me, but when I click on the "Stock Car"tab I don't exspect to see hundreds of open wheel, no fender racers. I thought that was the purpose of the different tabs, to narrow the list of pictures to a specific catagory or type. I understand that some may look at these and see "EARLY STOCK CARS", but I don't think they fit the catagory. When I hear the words "Stock Car", I think of any race car that looks like a stock car type racer and has a full body.I still love this site and visit every day. Love the stories and the flood of memories. Thanks
Jeff Gilder
@jeff-gilder
14 years ago
1,783 posts
Sorry to have disappointed ya BT.. Bumpertag said:
Jeff I went to that page and still saw many modified racers. Maybe it's me, but when I click on the "Stock Car"tab I don't exspect to see hundreds of open wheel, no fender racers. I thought that was the purpose of the different tabs, to narrow the list of pictures to a specific catagory or type. I understand that some may look at these and see "EARLY STOCK CARS", but I don't think they fit the catagory. When I hear the words "Stock Car", I think of any race car that looks like a stock car type racer and has a full body.

I still love this site and visit every day. Love the stories and the flood of memories. Thanks

--
Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
14 years ago
3,259 posts
hey bumpertag--i really need to know if you are going to be offended if i continue with my coupe and put it here on R/R --it wont have any fenders on it but it will have a late model set of rollbars in it and a stockcar seat and harness along with a net-- the motor,well i cant tell you that yet but it will have a set of those exotic headers that make it sound like an indy car and steam roller tires too.I bet you were referring to my chevelle i ran back in the 60's thru 80's as a stock car--if you were that car was as far from a stock car as you could get--it was on a 57 chevy frame with torsion bar suspension all around and the motor??well it was a small block bored and stroked to 420 in. with a roller in it and 2 speed transmission in it-- that was a modified anywhere you went B U T it did have fenders on it as long as Tim didnt try to tear them off when we were on the track together what you think you are seeing as stock cars may very well indeed a wolf in sheeps wool-- enjoy the site --enjoy the cars--enjoy the folks -- enjoy life sir-- because i am (think about this) What would you have if Jeff hadnt set up long nites putting this electronic website to racing the way it was ---not to Sprint cars or indy cars or to stock cars but to the best of all cars with and without fenders,or hoods, the people who built them had the desire to race and thats------------------------------------------------memories Bumpertag said:
Jeff I went to that page and still saw many modified racers. Maybe it's me, but when I click on the "Stock Car"tab I don't exspect to see hundreds of open wheel, no fender racers. I thought that was the purpose of the different tabs, to narrow the list of pictures to a specific catagory or type. I understand that some may look at these and see "EARLY STOCK CARS", but I don't think they fit the catagory. When I hear the words "Stock Car", I think of any race car that looks like a stock car type racer and has a full body.
I still love this site and visit every day. Love the stories and the flood of memories. Thanks
Pete Banchoff
@pete-banchoff
14 years ago
279 posts
I wasn't going to respond to this discussion, but I will give my 2 cents anyway. I am not a fan of the modifieds mainly because I didn't watch them growing up as a kid. I watched what was called "Superstocks" and a fairly new class of cars in the late 50's called "Supermodifieds". The Michigan Supermodifieds were very, very competitive with the crowd at Oswego and won a few Classics. We have info and a fan page for these cars on the open wheel side of Racers Reunion.I'm only one person of many and just because I don't care for something doesn't mean I speak for so many others on Racers Reunion. That being said, I never thought I'd be interested in the late 40's early 50's Nascar race cars that were raced. I then found a man named Jim Streeter who was kind enough to answer a few questions about how race cars were built and driven back in the day in Nascar. From tires, engines, rear ends, transmissions, brakes and bodies, he shared what he remembered and I became a fan. Maybe someday that one certain Modified will catch my attention and I'll fire off some questions.As far as Johnny's "find"... build how you want to and enjoy it, Johnny! I'm sure I'll follow your build and ask some of my usual stupid questions along the way to learn more about your passion for building it. I also know it won't be a "trailer queen" as Johnny will use it harder than he probably should on the race track.(Especially if Tim is involved). I also know it will be built old school and who knows, I might become a fan.Just a few of my thoughts...Pete
Jeff Gilder
@jeff-gilder
14 years ago
1,783 posts
I'm pretty sure Jim Streeter drove mods. Pete Banchoff said:
I wasn't going to respond to this discussion, but I will give my 2 cents anyway. I am not a fan of the modifieds mainly because I didn't watch them growing up as a kid. I watched what was called "Superstocks" and a fairly new class of cars in the late 50's called "Supermodifieds". The Michigan Supermodifieds were very, very competitive with the crowd at Oswego and won a few Classics. We have info and a fan page for these cars on the open wheel side of Racers Reunion.

I'm only one person of many and just because I don't care for something doesn't mean I speak for so many others on Racers Reunion. That being said, I never thought I'd be interested in the late 40's early 50's Nascar race cars that were raced. I then found a man named Jim Streeter who was kind enough to answer a few questions about how race cars were built and driven back in the day in Nascar. From tires, engines, rear ends, transmissions, brakes and bodies, he shared what he remembered and I became a fan. Maybe someday that one certain Modified will catch my attention and I'll fire off some questions.

As far as Johnny's "find"... build how you want to and enjoy it, Johnny! I'm sure I'll follow your build and ask some of my usual stupid questions along the way to learn more about your passion for building it. I also know it won't be a "trailer queen" as Johnny will use it harder than he probably should on the race track.(Especially if Tim is involved). I also know it will be built old school and who knows, I might become a fan.

Just a few of my thoughts...

Pete

--
Jim Streeter
@jim-streeter
14 years ago
242 posts
Modifieds = Late 40s early 50 had quick change rear ends (mostly Halibrands). Aluminin Heads( mostly Offenhauser) Some Arden overhead cam conversions. Any type fuel.Sportsman no quickchange . Any size engine bored & stroked. Stock heads we used 41 T Denver heads Windser (Canadian) Blocks Thicker walls.Limited Sportsman under 300 CI.All above were Flatheads1955 Glenn Wood , Ralph Ligorri and Myself put 312 CI over heads finnished 1, 2, 3, at Raliegh. The next week there were about 20 with these late model engines.All the bodies were Ford Coupes. When they became hard to find Slant Backs started being used. Jeff Gilder said:
I'm pretty sure Jim Streeter drove mods.

Pete Banchoff said:
I wasn't going to respond to this discussion, but I will give my 2 cents anyway. I am not a fan of the modifieds mainly because I didn't watch them growing up as a kid. I watched what was called "Superstocks" and a fairly new class of cars in the late 50's called "Supermodifieds". The Michigan Supermodifieds were very, very competitive with the crowd at Oswego and won a few Classics. We have info and a fan page for these cars on the open wheel side of Racers Reunion.

I'm only one person of many and just because I don't care for something doesn't mean I speak for so many others on Racers Reunion. That being said, I never thought I'd be interested in the late 40's early 50's Nascar race cars that were raced. I then found a man named Jim Streeter who was kind enough to answer a few questions about how race cars were built and driven back in the day in Nascar. From tires, engines, rear ends, transmissions, brakes and bodies, he shared what he remembered and I became a fan. Maybe someday that one certain Modified will catch my attention and I'll fire off some questions.

As far as Johnny's "find"... build how you want to and enjoy it, Johnny! I'm sure I'll follow your build and ask some of my usual stupid questions along the way to learn more about your passion for building it. I also know it won't be a "trailer queen" as Johnny will use it harder than he probably should on the race track.(Especially if Tim is involved). I also know it will be built old school and who knows, I might become a fan.

Just a few of my thoughts...

Pete
Bumpertag
@bumpertag
14 years ago
363 posts
Good points by all and I understand that what I see as modifies some see as early stock cars. Each decade the racing and racers have changed, and I guess it becomes a question of what you grew up around. Here in upper S. Carolina I never heard of or saw a modified racer until around the mid 70's, and it wasn't anything that interested me. Other than a few of the top drivers, I nerver knew anything about the drivers or teams. This was like a little known sub series that lacked the drawing power to gain popularity to equal that of NASCAR stockers in that era. I know that was not the case, that the modies had a huge following and could hold it's own with any division. It just never appealed to me. To be honest, I liked the Baby Grands more than the modifieds because they looked more like street cars.Jeff, this site could never disappoint me. I'll just have to wade through all the stuff that others like to find what I like. Fans of the open wheelers have to go through pictures they don't care for, so it's all a wash. No hard feelings, I hope, and please keep posting all the pictures you can find. Great site!
Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
14 years ago
3,259 posts
Bumpertag --- dont give up that easy --- I was just getting into our weekly debate ---but never fear there will be another that will start a neat discussion and you can partake in that one also Bumpertag said:
Good points by all and I understand that what I see as modifies some see as early stock cars. Each decade the racing and racers have changed, and I guess it becomes a question of what you grew up around. Here in upper S. Carolina I never heard of or saw a modified racer until around the mid 70's, and it wasn't anything that interested me. Other than a few of the top drivers, I nerver knew anything about the drivers or teams. This was like a little known sub series that lacked the drawing power to gain popularity to equal that of NASCAR stockers in that era. I know that was not the case, that the modies had a huge following and could hold it's own with any division. It just never appealed to me. To be honest, I liked the Baby Grands more than the modifieds because they looked more like street cars.

Jeff, this site could never disappoint me. I'll just have to wade through all the stuff that others like to find what I like. Fans of the open wheelers have to go through pictures they don't care for, so it's all a wash. No hard feelings, I hope, and please keep posting all the pictures you can find. Great site!
Jeff Gilder
@jeff-gilder
14 years ago
1,783 posts
As you can see, BT, debating with Johnny is like wrestling a pig in the mud....you soon realize the pig likes it. johnny mallonee said:
Bumpertag --- dont give up that easy --- I was just getting into our weekly debate ---but never fear there will be another that will start a neat discussion and you can partake in that one also

Bumpertag said:
Good points by all and I understand that what I see as modifies some see as early stock cars. Each decade the racing and racers have changed, and I guess it becomes a question of what you grew up around. Here in upper S. Carolina I never heard of or saw a modified racer until around the mid 70's, and it wasn't anything that interested me. Other than a few of the top drivers, I nerver knew anything about the drivers or teams. This was like a little known sub series that lacked the drawing power to gain popularity to equal that of NASCAR stockers in that era. I know that was not the case, that the modies had a huge following and could hold it's own with any division. It just never appealed to me. To be honest, I liked the Baby Grands more than the modifieds because they looked more like street cars.

Jeff, this site could never disappoint me. I'll just have to wade through all the stuff that others like to find what I like. Fans of the open wheelers have to go through pictures they don't care for, so it's all a wash. No hard feelings, I hope, and please keep posting all the pictures you can find. Great site!

--
Ricky J. Coody
@ricky-j-coody
14 years ago
16 posts
That's "OLD RACING PIG" Jeff!! LOL!!! Great pig too!!! Rick Jeff Gilder said:
As you can see, BT, debating with Johnny is like wrestling a pig in the mud....you soon realize the pig likes it.

johnny mallonee said:
Bumpertag --- dont give up that easy --- I was just getting into our weekly debate ---but never fear there will be another that will start a neat discussion and you can partake in that one also

Bumpertag said:

Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
14 years ago
3,259 posts
Hey Ricky glad you picked up on this whats your take on the saga define a modified vs an old school race car vs a late model plastic car Ricky J. Coody said:
That's "OLD RACING PIG" Jeff!! LOL!!! Great pig too!!! Rick

Jeff Gilder said:
As you can see, BT, debating with Johnny is like wrestling a pig in the mud....you soon realize the pig likes it.

johnny mallonee said:

Bumpertag said:

Bumpertag
@bumpertag
14 years ago
363 posts
I prefer my race cars to have fenders and a windsheild, to each his own. I guess if I'd grown up around chopped up cars I'd like them more. My childhood was filled with stories and pictures of NASCAR Grand National racing and the stars that made it famous. Nothing else will do for me.
Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
14 years ago
3,259 posts
Bumpertag you are a great sport and I hope a good friend because you are holding true to your beliefs as to what cars should look like, there were many shapes and sizes coming up in my career,and you could spot one brand from another,even each driver or owner had a unique way to paint and set their car up(you can spot one of Buzzys car easy) but todays cars whether they are Nascar,Nationwaide,or late model they all look alike with the exception of the number and paint scheme and dont bump one of those cars because thats it if they get bent in any way or the spring loaded cars are so fickle it sad. Them old cars would just take it like a pro and still win. I will stop at that and await the next one who wants to play in the mud. Bumpertag said:
I prefer my race cars to have fenders and a windsheild, to each his own. I guess if I'd grown up around chopped up cars I'd like them more. My childhood was filled with stories and pictures of NASCAR Grand National racing and the stars that made it famous. Nothing else will do for me.
Ricky J. Coody
@ricky-j-coody
14 years ago
16 posts
Johnny, This one could be hard to define without breaking it down to "era" and politically correct names.(fancy huh?) I think modifieds are what most of us watched through the 50' and 60's until the names changed to "Late Models" "Open Wheel Modifieds" and looked a lot more different. Before, we had stock cars which could mean strickly stock, sportsman, late model stocks, and modified stock, and now we have more divisions than we can keep up with! BT could define by name or era where his meaning is. To me, sounds and smells like a race car, goes to the end of the straitaway and turns left, I'm in!!! I love em all!! Rick johnny mallonee said:
Hey Ricky glad you picked up on this whats your take on the saga define a modified vs an old school race car vs a late model plastic car

Ricky J. Coody said:
That's "OLD RACING PIG" Jeff!! LOL!!! Great pig too!!! Rick

Jeff Gilder said:

johnny mallonee said:

Bumpertag said: