Jeff Burton Takes Exception to Premise of Current NASCAR "Action Plan" to Attract Young Fan Base

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

I'm waiting to see if NASCAR has the kahunas to fine Jeff Burton, the acknowledged "Mayor of the NASCAR Garage" like it did Denny Hamlin for speaking his mind on some of NASCAR's changes.

Seems the highly respected younger Burton brother questions one of the premises in NASCAR's current 5-year "Action Plan" that today's youngsters have no interest in automobiles and must be reached through video games and the confusing array of NASCAR social media (i.e. NASCAR.com) that many of we over the hill NASCAR fans have abandonned.

I do wish Jeff had gone one step further and asked how tearing down 10,000 seats at one of his Virginia tracks in Richmond fits in the current NASCAR "Action Plan."

From the Charlotte Observer :

NASCAR aiming for younger, more diverse fans, quicker finishes
By Rick Rothacker
rrothacker@charlotteobserver.com
Friday, Oct. 11, 2013

When racings attendance and TV ratings fell in recent years, NASCAR officials knew they needed a change.

After decades of growth under the iron rule of founder Bill France Sr. and his son Bill France Jr. both enshrined in NASCARs Hall of Fame current Chairman Brian France pushed his organization to listen more to the people who were the backbone of the sport.

Working with the team owners, drivers, tracks and sponsors, NASCAR came up with an Industry Action Plan that aims to help the sport rebound from the economic downturn and changing consumer habits that have affected all sports.

The goal? Inject more youth and diversity into a fan base that is mostly white and aging by ramping up digital and social media offerings, consider changes to the cars to make the racing more exciting, and even contemplate more radical moves.

At its highest level, the racing organization sanctions 36 races and two special events a year, including Saturdays Bank of America 500 at Charlotte Motor Speedway. It will spend tens of millions of dollars on the five-year plan, which started in 2011 and is expected to evolve over time.

NASCAR in the past operated obviously very well and had explosive growth, Chief Marketing Officer Steve Phelps said in an interview this week at NASCARs facility in Concord. But as things have changed in the economy and in how young people use their leisure time and in how they consume sports and entertainment, we have had to change as well.

To be sure, NASCAR still has its dictatorial moments. Last month, officials levied a record $300,000 fine against Michael Waltrip Racing for attempting to manipulate the outcome of a race, a move that Brian France said was necessary to protect the integrity of the sport. The incident also led auto parts retailer NAPA to end a multimillion-dollar sponsorship deal with the team.

And earlier this year, NASCAR fined driver Denny Hamlin $25,000 for comments perceived as critical of the sports new cars, stirring criticism that the sport was stifling free speech.

But drivers and team owners say they appreciate the efforts by NASCAR to be more open to their new ideas.

Even if you dont agree with them, said J.D. Gibbs, president of Joe Gibbs Racing, you know what theyre thinking.

Fighting the trend

NASCAR, started in 1947 by the France family, is stock car racings governing body. The family-owned private company, which organizes and polices the races for teams, tracks and drivers, is based in Daytona Beach, Fla., but has significant operations in the Charlotte area, where the first-ever NASCAR race was held in 1949.

The sports popularity skyrocketed in the 1990s and early 2000s, but the recession dealt the sport a major hit, and it is still recovering.

Ratings for Sprint Cup races the premier NASCAR series have remained flat over the past three years, but they are down by nearly 10 to 20 percent from five years ago, depending on the race and the network it is broadcast on. Still, key races can still draw up to 8 million viewers, and the sport recently signed a 10-year, $8.2 billion television deal with NBC and Fox.

NASCAR also mirrors many other sports with drops in attendance. Admission revenues reported by Speedway Motorsports, the company that owns Charlotte Motor Speedway, were down 38 percent in 2012 from 2008. The numbers in the quarter ending June 30, 2013, were down 12 percent from a year ago.

Daytona International Speedway and other tracks owned by International Speedway Corp. have seen a similar trend. Admission revenues were nearly flat from a year ago in the quarter ended in August, and it was still down significantly from five years ago.

Both publicly owned companies have seen a drop in profitability from five years ago.

NASCAR, though, is fighting back.

To help attract younger fans, the sport has spruced up its website and mobile apps after building a media and entertainment hub in Charlotte.

It has worked to bring pop culture figures to races and land spots for drivers in television shows popular with a younger generation. NASCAR is also trying to meet the next generations interests by getting deeper into video games and digital device offerings.

We have to be where they are, Phelps said.

High-tech cars, new fans

One challenge with younger fans, Phelps said, is that the love affair with cars does not come as naturally as it did with previous generations.

Kids today view the automobile ... as a way to get from Point A to Point B, he said.

Driver Jeff Burton disagrees that kids arent as interested in cars. Burton said he drove a new Chevrolet Camaro to pick up his children at school recently, and kids were all over it.

We dont have a hot-rod culture where theyre taking out the engine on a wrecked Corvette and putting it in a four-door sedan, Burton said. But kids today still love cars and driving. The cars are just more technologically advanced.

To feed the interest, Burton said, NASCAR should showcase the sophistication of the cars, including high-tech equipment used to design and build the vehicles that race each weekend. In the past, the sport kept that low-key, lest one team seem to have an advantage over another, Burton said. But today most operations are teeming with top-notch equipment, he said.

Research by NASCAR shows one demographic still in love with cars is Hispanics. Thats why the sport launched a Spanish-language version of NASCAR.com and brought a NASCAR Toyota Mexico Series race to Phoenix this year.

Hispanic viewership of races broadcast on Fox was up 30 percent compared with last year, officials said.

Karen Walker, 51, who attended pole night Thursday at Charlotte Motor Speedway, is the kind of fan NASCAR would like to see more of at the track. Of a mixed racial background, she wears memorabilia to work, encourages her kids to embrace the sport and is quick to strike up a conversation about her favorite driver, Dale Earnhardt Jr.

She encourages fans to come to the race track to best experience the sport, and she discounts any decline in attendance or ratings.

Its the economy, she said. People are feeling financial pressure. As things improve, I think things will improve for the sport.

Dennis Deninger, a former ESPN executive who teaches sports communications at Syracuse University, said NASCAR could attract even more diverse fans if it had more drivers of color.

The one thing that would broaden the popularity immediately would be if there were an African-American driver, Deninger said. The race for diversity has been on for several years now and there is some up-and-coming talent.

The impact on NASCAR could be the same as the impact that Jackie Robinsons arriving at the Brooklyn Dodgers had (in 1947.) Suddenly the people in the stands were of different colors once they had a player to root for.

Never good enough

Beyond trying to bring in new fans, NASCAR is also working to improve the racing product. A 15,000-member fan council that rates each race for NASCAR has given this years events an average of 7.9 on a scale of 10, up from 7.7 a year ago.

But officials say they want to do better.

NASCAR is working with tracks to make improvements in the fan experience. That list includes everything from better signage to improved technology such as Wi-Fi connectivity. The sport also has increased marketing for the 10 Chase for the Cup races that make up the season-ending playoff.

Also under consideration are more dramatic moves, such as shortening races and changing formats.

Might we see additional changes for 14? Phelps said. I think its absolutely on the table. Whether it happens or not, Im not sure.

Gibbs, the team president, said race length is a difficult balancing act.

I have four boys, he said. They are not going to watch something for three and a half hours. But we also have fans who say, I want my four hours of racing.

Fans have also said they want fewer uniform cars that look more like the street versions sold at dealerships.

There is also the most obvious way to improve fan enjoyment more competitive racing and closer finishes.

NASCAR this year introduced a Generation 6 car, with vehicles that look more like the factory models. And Monday, teams and drivers will test new aerodynamics at Charlotte Motor Speedway, with a goal of tighter racing and more passing on the track.

Burton, who will drive the No. 31 car in Saturdays Bank of America 500, will participate in the test.

Its good for us to look at how we can get better, he said. Some people might see that as a weakness that we need to make improvements. My opinion is its never good enough.

We need to always be trying to get better.

Staff writers Mark Washburn and Jeff Siner contributed.
Rothacker: 704-358-5170; Twitter: Rick Rothacker

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/10/11/4381683/nascar-aiming-for-younger-more.html#.UliOtyQmyc8#storylink=cpy

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"

updated by @dave-fulton: 12/05/16 04:04:08PM
Max Plummer
@max-plummer
11 years ago
89 posts

Throw enough crap on the wall and hope something sticks,,that has been their answer..When that don't work ,, blame it on the economy..

Andy DeNardi
@andy-denardi
11 years ago
365 posts

Burton is wrong about kids still being psyched about cars, but that doesn't mean that NASCAR is doing the right things to keep up with them.

If they insist that they need African-American and Hispanic drivers (and they're probably right), they need to get extremely good ones that are competitive within two years. The public has been exposed to a similar story with Danica Patrick for the last nine years. Danica hasn't returned results good enough to hold the audiences she's bringing in. Montoya was also a flop. NASCAR's diversity program has been going on for a lot of years and hasn't accomplished anything. That's good. They're waiting until they have someone worth cheering for.

I think it would do them well to shorten several of the races and to cut back on the sponsor recitations in driver interviews also. I've also been saying for years that they need to go to fewer cylinders and to hell with fans complaints about how the cars will sound.

Bobby Williamson
@bobby-williamson
11 years ago
907 posts

Yep, they've repeated all those steps and causes for YEARS! We get it!. We already knew the causes. None of these solutions are absolute, or fail-safe either. Truth is, when times were great, they (NASCAR) were asleep and arrogant at the wheel. A GENERATION was lost. Can NASCAR get them back, the lost generation? Maybe, but maybe not. Back in the day, one generation introduced and sold the sport to the following. I was a fan because my dad was a fan. But in the asleep-at-the-wheel era, NASCAR managed to pi$$-off the very group that would have sold the sport to the next. The digital-and-diversity concept, notwithstanding, the glory days may be over.

Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
11 years ago
3,119 posts

Well stated Bobby. Well stated.

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

Jeff Gilder
@jeff-gilder
11 years ago
1,783 posts

The cars youngsters (and Hispanics for that matter) are hot about today are not the stock car type cars. NASCAR would have to start a drifting ...or other series running similar cars to attract them. Yea, the new Camaros, Mustangs, and Challengers and the fact we are racing something that resembles them might eventually create a following, but it is way too early to know. NASCAR and the car manufacturers lost continuity with cars and fans.

Bobby is 100% right! They lost the generation that could have provided continuation / longevity. I, too am a fan because my father introduced me to the sport. My son became a fan the same reason. The core fans were not only their (NASCAR's) best sales people, they bought sponsors products.

I'm gonna get on my favorite soap box yet again...when corporate America decided the older generation couldn't adapt to the internet and smart devices NASCAR fabricated their own 18-24 year old fan base to convince corporate America to send money. It's interesting...there is no proof that fan base ever existed. They were not at the race tracks...where were they? They must have been watching FOX and NBC...and thus the justification for the 8.2 Billion dollar 10 year contract. One missing element in that theory...18-24 year olds have the attention span of a gnat compared to us old pharts...far short of being a serious NASCAR fan. And far too poor to spend the necessary dollars for sponsors products. While the older generation is sitting on appx 47 times the income and worth of the younger generation...sitting here reading this on the web using their PCs, iphones, and tablets, and the like. Go Figure.

I still cannot make sense of it. And I promise I have spent way too much time trying. Makes zero sense to me....wait a minute...what were we talking about? Oh yea...cars. Whatever!

--
Founder/Creator - RacersReunion®
Devin
@devin
11 years ago
618 posts

Agree, agree, agree! I love it when you "goatees" state your mind.

Sandeep Banerjee
@sandeep-banerjee
11 years ago
360 posts

Agree with all of you that suggest they might have missed a generation and the repercussions of that continue to linger. It really was a simple task; hold on to the existing fan base instead of alienating them as they had more spending power like you said and it is through them that the love of the sport could have been best passed on down to their kids and so on.

Andy DeNardi
@andy-denardi
11 years ago
365 posts
Well, I'm one whose father didn't bring them into the sport. But in my case, the cars did. If your Charger couldn't pass because of aero-push then your engineers went to work, filled in the back window and pushed out the grille. And then you sold that model in the showrooms along side the less aerodynamic version. It ain't like that today.Soon after I signed up, they had the wing cars. How could a teenager not think those were cool and want to go down to the showroom where the salesmen could work their magic? Cars had the same paint job from race to race so it was easy for a novice to figure out who that guy was that he was rooting for last week and pick him out of the pack.And since teenagers have the attention span of a gnat, having the race edited down to two hours and presented a week later on Wide World of Sports allowed me to watch it and still have time to go out and do things with my friends.
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

I took my dad to his first race after I was hooked. But we were certainly very much into the cars. My buddy and I attended the races together. We hated Fords and pulled for Chrysler and Chevy (who had nothing competitive in 1964 when I started going). But then, I immediately also started going to my weekly track to see the modifieds and was really hooked for life.

Back then, too, any idiot could tell one brand from another on the street and on the track. This idiot can no longer do either. Back then, I also tuned my own car. Now I raise the hood only to check the fluid levels.

And yes, Andy, there was huge anticipation to see whatever edited clips of the race were shown on WWS, even though I'd listened to it on radio and knew the result.

I remember when the Eagles Lodge and Moose Lodge in Richmond were crammed, standing room only on Sunday afternoon to watch NASCAR on big projection TVs. No more.

My grandsons have a passing interest, but 10-15 minutes of a telecast are all they'll watch before retiring to their XBox or whatever.

There was definitely much to be said for the continuity of paint jobs in the past, as you reference, Andy. When we'd race Talladega in the early 80s I could always pick out two cars on the backstretch - my Wrangler blue & yellow Earnhardt car and the Petty STP blue & red.

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
Max Plummer
@max-plummer
11 years ago
89 posts

And we hope for the best that Nascar will come back to us...I was raised on racing and raised my son the same..I went to a dirt race while i was back N.C. and it was packed mostly with middle aged and seniors..We are still here waiting for how long ,,is left up to Nascar.