Racing History Minute - October 27, 1957

Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
11 years ago
3,119 posts

The final race of the 1957 season, race number 53 for the year, was 250 laps on the .333 mile dirt track at Central Carolina Fairgrounds in Greensboro, NC. Thirty-one cars started the race with Ken Rush on the pole. Other starting positions are not provided in my source but I will point out that Rush lasted only 340 laps before he crashed out when he spun on the backstraight while leading. He collected Possum Jones, Speedy Thompson, Gywn Staley, and Marvin Panch. Panch's car flipped completely end over end, landing on its wheels and continuing on it's way. Panch made 16 more laps before having to park his Ford.

In fact, there were several crashes, referred to as "bone jarring crashes". Roy Tyner lost control of his Ford and plowed directly into the "judges" stand. Neither Tyner nor the occupants of the tower were injured.

Curtis Turner arrived at the track without a ride. He approached Bob Welborn about driving Bob's car but Bob was reluctant to allow Turner to do so. Whatever magic Turner used (probably money) Welborn finally relented but told Turner to at least "bring back the steering wheel". Turner fell out of the race on lap 50 and returned the steering wheel AND the race car to Welborn.

There were four lead changes between two drivers, Buck Baker and Lee Petty. Petty led the first 154 laps, then Baker was out front for 5 laps before Petty retook the lead. On lap 191 Baker would overtake and past Petty and would lead to the checkered flag.

The win was the 10th of the year for Baker and capped off a good season with his second consecutive championship. Baker had a 760 point lead over Marvin Panch to claim the championship.

Finishing order:

1. Buck Baker, Baker Chevrolet, winning $900.00

2. Speedy Thompson, Thompson Chevrolet, winning $575.00

3. Joe Weatherly, Holman-Moody Ford, winning $375.00

4. Jack Smith, Smith Chevrolet, winning $290.00

5. Lee Petty, Petty Engineering Oldsmobile, winning $245.00

6. Paul Goldsmith, Smokey Yunick Ford

7. Huck Spaulding, Dodge

8. Brownie King, Jess Porter Chevrolet

9. Bill Morton, Ford

10. Johnny Dodson, Ford

11. Fred Harb

12. Johnny Allen

13. R. L. Combs

14. L. D. Austin

15. Whitey Norman

16. George Green

17. Bill Benson

18. Rex White

19. Bill Poor

20. Herman Beam

21. Marvin Panch

22. Possum Jones

23. Curtis Turner

24. Neil Castles

25. George Parrish

26. Roy Tyner

27. Bobby Keck

28.Ken Rush

29,Gwny Staley

30. Roger Clemmens

31. Max Berrier

Honor the past, embrace the present, dream for the future

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

updated by @tim-leeming: 12/05/16 04:00:58PM
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

The morning's low temperature on October 27, 1957 in Greensboro, North Carolina was just 30 degrees according to the U.S. Weather Bureau and afternoon temperatures reached only a high of 46 degrees.

In its Associated Press coverage of the race, the Spartanburg Herald referenced the teeth chattering temperatures endured by race fans watching Buck's triumph:

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

"Wild Indian" Roy Tyner of Red Springs must have really enjoyed Greensboro. The following season he raced out of Greensboro, competing in 22 of 51 Grand Nationals -all but two for "Spook" Crawford and in 18 of the 19 Convertible races from Crawford, finishing 5th in the standings according to a story in The Robesonian on October 31, 1958:

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
11 years ago
4,073 posts

GREENSBORO, NC October 27, 1957: Although he did not win the race, Marvin Panch still got a chance to visit victory lane at the Greensboro Fairgrounds as he was presented a special trophy for getting upside down in the event. As part of a multi-car tangle early in the race, Panch flipped his car end-over-end. He managed to keep the car going and even continued on for several more laps before the damage forced him out of the running. (Photo by ISC Images & Archives via Getty Images)

--
Schaefer: It's not just for racing anymore.
Dennis Andrews
@dennis-andrews
11 years ago
835 posts

Chase, I have looked at this picture several times and every time I do Patsy K. Thompson's name comes to mind. Look close and the eyes and mouth, sure looks like Patsy to me. Now I know this is not Patsy because it was made in 1957 but was her mother of aunt ever a trophy Queen at Greensboro?

Patsy Thompkins ~ Keisler
@patsy-thompkins-keisler
11 years ago
559 posts

Awww you are so sweet, Dennis....and I am not sure who she might be, but I would have been honored. She looks very sweet and demure..don't you think? I've been out of circulation too long, haven't I?

Dennis Andrews
@dennis-andrews
11 years ago
835 posts

Sorry Patsy,

Looks like I could spell your name right if I could recognize a look a like. :)

Patsy Thompkins ~ Keisler
@patsy-thompkins-keisler
11 years ago
559 posts

You have always spelled my name right...before, and I know you know...who I am..LOL!! So...all is definitely forgiven...but, you do need to come see me soon....

Sandeep Banerjee
@sandeep-banerjee
11 years ago
360 posts

An award for flipping? Racing really was fun back then.

Don't you wish trophy queens still looked so classy? Now they make them wear those ridiculous firesuits and dab on a month's supply of makeup.

TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
7 years ago
4,073 posts

On the same day Buck won the GN race at Greensboro, Banjo Matthews won a 200 lap modified championship race at Concord Speedway. (Or as my dad pronounces his name: "Banja Matthus".) Sadly, driver Earl Bryant was killed during the race when his car sailed over the first turn and down a 15-foot embankment.

1957 Concord Banjo Earl Bryant 102857SHJ.png

Finishing order from Jack Walker's page

1957 Concord modified results jack_walker.jpg

--
Schaefer: It's not just for racing anymore.

updated by @tmc-chase: 10/27/17 12:11:54PM