14 years ago
214 posts
sad ford end the mercury after 71 years
updated by @ray-lamm: 12/05/16 04:02:07PM
Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
14 years ago
3,119 posts
This is very sad indeed Ray. You and I, along with tons of others, are being put out to pasture with the memories we have. Hey, but you know what??? This is a pretty nice pasture!

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
14 years ago
3,259 posts
What?? No way --I know things are tough but jeesh take away an icon image on todays roads??? First car I ever had that was cool was a 63 1/2 fastback Marauder . A red one with the 406 2 4barrel engine with a 4 speed. It cost me an arm and a leg to maintain that car but boy was it a ride.----------------------memories
Jeff Gilder
@jeff-gilder
14 years ago
1,783 posts
Another loss in a seemingly endless string of "end of an era" news reports. Is it just me...or all our "eras" ending? Well, we have just begun this era...the RR era...and I hope it doesn't end anytime soon.

--
Founder/Creator - RacersReunion®
Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
14 years ago
3,259 posts
I am doing all i can to make sure the R/R saga will last forever When a corporation such as NASCAR refuses to let a handout of information on racing in their area by another source then they are viewed as a threat, imagine that !!!! Jeff Gilder said:
Another loss in a seemingly endless string of "end of an era" news reports. Is it just me...or all our "eras" ending? Well, we have just begun this era...the RR era...and I hope it doesn't end anytime soon.
ray lamm
@ray-lamm
14 years ago
214 posts
mercury won 96 races from 1950 to 1980 .neil bonnett won the last race in wood bros. mercury 21
Mike Ray
@mike-ray
14 years ago
41 posts
Thank you Ray for the photo's and memories.Mercury had a long and glorious past in Nascar.Sorry to see them go.peace,out.
Pete Banchoff
@pete-banchoff
14 years ago
279 posts
I guess I can see Ford's side of it, after all 90,000 vehicles sold is hard to justify. But it was a really good car. The best car I ever owned was a 1975 Mercury Montego 351. I bought it new because of Pearson winning on the race track. I remember the Mercury's of Bud Moore, the Mercury's of Cale and LeeRoy in 1969, the #12 of Bobby Allison in 1971 and the Purolator Mercury of David from the 70's. I'm sorry to see the line go. BTW, when it came time for my daughter to buy her first car...a 2003 Mercury Sable with a DOHC V-6. Still runs like new.Pete, sad in Michigan.
Cody Dinsmore
@cody-dinsmore
14 years ago
589 posts
Last Year Pontiac closed...this year Mercury closes...what's next? I read on the internet that in 2009, FoMoCo sold over 90,000 Fusions, while they sold a little over 14,000 Milans,
Pete Banchoff
@pete-banchoff
14 years ago
279 posts
Cody, these manufacturers are in survival mode. If vehicles aren't selling...they're gone. Ford is going about their business without any bailout money unlike the other U.S car companies. It used to be "Car Guys" along with engineering ran the car companies now it's Beancounters and the Feds. It will never be the same, guys. Cody Dinsmore said:
Last Year Pontiac closed...this year Mercury closes...what's next? I read on the internet that in 2009, FoMoCo sold over 90,000 Fusions, while they sold a little over 14,000 Milans,
Tom
@tom
14 years ago
12 posts
Well, I'm sad to see Mercury go. For 20 years, my dad worked for a Lincoln Mercury dealership. I grew loving those big cars that I thought were best looking cars you could buy. I have owned 5 Grand Marquis' and loved them all. Never had a Cougar like I've always wanted, but there were a couple of those in the family as a child. One salesman that worked with my dad used to tell everyone that there was ' nothing like a Mercury'!
Jim Streeter
@jim-streeter
14 years ago
242 posts
The first Mercury was built in 1939 it had a 354 rear end gear (up till then all Fords had 378 or higher). This was great for Daytona Beach/Road course. Also you could run it in 2nd Gear on some of the short Tracks.

Tom said:
Well, I'm sad to see Mercury go. For 20 years, my dad worked for a Lincoln Mercury dealership. I grew loving those big cars that I thought were best looking cars you could buy. I have owned 5 Grand Marquis' and loved them all. Never had a Cougar like I've always wanted, but there were a couple of those in the family as a child. One salesman that worked with my dad used to tell everyone that there was ' nothing like a Mercury'!