Earl Brooks Passing

Harlow Reynolds
@harlow-reynolds
14 years ago
214 posts
Nascar driver Earl Brooks passed away 7-21-2010 , Wed around 12:15 P.M.
More info Later.
Thanks,
Harlow Reynolds
Lynchburg,Va.

updated by @harlow-reynolds: 12/05/16 04:02:07PM
Dennis Andrews
@dennis-andrews
14 years ago
835 posts
I will lift his family up to the Throne of Grace, My God grant them comfort during this time.
Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
14 years ago
3,119 posts
Harlow, thank you for this notification. My prayers and thoughts will certainly go to the Brooks family. Earl was truly the epitome of the journeyman driver who raced his heart out.Tim

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

kimberly casella
@kimberly-casella
14 years ago
8 posts
Tim, I echo you sintiment. This was a man who had a special purpose and meaning to all of us and most importantly his family. My thoughts are with his family. May God be with them all, as I know God is with Earll!
Frank Craig
@frank-craig
14 years ago
71 posts
I had the pleasure of meeting Mr.Brooks last year.Our prayers go out to his family.
ray lamm
@ray-lamm
14 years ago
214 posts
i know earl for long time .i got to see him last year .at harlow deal he was so happy to be around david pearson and rex white .he will be miss my prayer and thought to his family at this time.
Billy & Barbara Scott
@billy-barbara-scott
14 years ago
52 posts
Our love and prayers are with the family. God's Love, Mercy, and Grace will give them more than anything we say or do, but His love can be used through us, to show the family just how Earl was cared for.God be with each family member as we lift you all in prayer.Billy and Barbara
Jeff Gilder
@jeff-gilder
14 years ago
1,783 posts
Our thoughts and prayers are with the family.....sad news.

--
Founder/Creator - RacersReunion®
Harlow Reynolds
@harlow-reynolds
14 years ago
214 posts
Subject: Earl Brooks Visitation & Funeral TimesNascar driver Earl Brooks visitation will be Friday <7-23-2010> at 7:00 P.M.-- 9:00 P.M. At Whitten Timberlake Chapel7404 Timberlake Road, Lynchburg,Va.24502----Tel 1-434-239-0331Funeral Service on Sat at 11:00 A.M. Same Place.I will send a full obit on email Friday Morning.ThanksHarlow Reynolds1-434-610-0950
Harlow Reynolds
@harlow-reynolds
14 years ago
214 posts
Earl Lee Brooks Sr.The "Earl of Lynchburg" drove his victory lap on Wednesday, July 21, 2010. He was born in Lynchburg on Aug. 11, 1929, to Mattie S. and Eldridge L. Brooks. He was the owner and operator of Brooks' Garage on Mayflower Drive from 1959 to 1992. He served his country in the U.S. Army. He lost the love of his life, Dorothy (Dot) Riley Brooks, in 1993.He was preceded in death by two sisters, Joyce B. Scott and husband, Earl, and Doris (Dot) B. Fuller and husband, Robert (Bob).He is survived by his children, Judy B. Parks and husband, James, of Hurt, Hilda B. Hicks and husband, Ray, of Rustburg, Earl L. Brooks Jr. and wife, Paula, of Madison Heights, Donna B. Skinner and husband, Mark, of Evington, and Ervin L. Brooks and wife, Cindi, of Evington. He is also survived by nine grandchildren, BJ Hicks, Tony Hicks, Michael Breeden, Earl L. Brooks III, April B. Baum, Gina B. Osborne, Drew Skinner, David Brooks and Morgan Brooks. Also surviving him are his great-grandchildren Katelyn, Ashley and Lindsey Hicks, Jon-Eric and Connor Hicks and Viggo and Nadia Baum. He is also survived by two sisters, Arlene B. Wade and husband, Ronnie, of Evington, and Edith B. Vest and husband, Calvin, of Madison Heights. He is also survived by a host of caring nieces and nephews.In his early years, he was a stunt driver with the Hollywood Hell Drivers Stunt Show. He was best known for his years in Grand National-Winston Cup Racing, which is now Sprint Cup. His career took him and his family all over the country. He had 262 starts which led to 37 top 10 finishes, three times in the nation's top 20 in points standings. He proudly ran in the Daytona 500 four times. Earl was profiled in the "Stock Car Racing Magazine" as the "Earl of Lynchburg." In 2006, he was chosen as one of the top 10 personalities of the "Well Known in Lynchburg." Earl is represented in the Lynchburg Historical Museum. He was involved in the making of several movies which starred Elvis Presley and is featured in several books about the early years of racing. He was proudly inducted into the Lynchburg Sports Hall of Fame in 1997. He belonged to the Elks Lodge and was Elk of the Year in 1981. He was a member of Moose Lodge 1727, Virginia & Carolina Early Dirt Racers and the Old Timer's Racer's Club. Earl received many awards for his years of hard work and dedication to the sport of auto racing. His most recent honor was being notified that in October he will be inducted into the Memory Lane Museum Hall of Fame in Mooresville, N.C. As Earl would say, "Thank you all for the help along the way."Those wishing to make memorial contributions, please consider American Cancer Society or the charity of your choice.The family will receive friends from 7 to 9 p.m. today, July 23, 2010, at Whitten Timberlake Chapel and other times at the residence of Mark and Donna B. Skinner. A graveside service will be held at 11 a.m. Saturday, July 24, 2010, at Spring Hill Cemetery, with the Rev. Mike Dodson officiating.To send a condolence to the family, please visit whittenfuneralhome.com.Whitten Funeral Homes and Cremation Services, Timberlake Chapel, is serving the family.
Jim Wilmore
@jim-wilmore
14 years ago
488 posts
Very sorry to hear this, our respects go out to the family.
Andy Towler
@andy-towler
14 years ago
3 posts
I Met Earl in 2004 At Bill Mangums Club And got to no him talked Racing My Uncle Bob Mcginnis got me talking to him just liked him you will me missed. Rest in Peace. Mr. Earl Brooks Gone But Will Not Be Forgotten......
bob williams
@bob-williams
14 years ago
7 posts
May he rest in peace and may our Lord grant confort and peace to his family. Amen
Jim Wilmore
@jim-wilmore
14 years ago
488 posts
You may go to this site and pay your respects to Earl and his family http://whittenfuneralhome.com/dm20/en_US/group/business/whittenfuneralhome/index.page
Mike Ray
@mike-ray
14 years ago
41 posts
Dear Harlow;Thanks for the info.I ate lunch with Earl and Wendell one day at Wendells' house.Those 2 guy's were true independents.They did alot with just a little bit.Thanks again,peace,out.
Andy Towler
@andy-towler
14 years ago
3 posts

Earl Was A Good Man Photo I Took of Him.