After a Lot of consideration I came to this conclusion

Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
10 years ago
3,259 posts

Ok now we are getting down to the end of this so called chase that the beach bunch has throwed together.

First off I dont think they would have all the good guys in the position they are in at the end or near the end of the series.

One thing has led to another,The first is while we thought we had seen urgency when it comes to advancing out of this Eliminator Round into the Final Four, I think a non-Chase driver taking a win off the board simply ramps up the tension even that much more now because three chances for an automatic berth into the final four has now dropped. Now for eight drivers, there are only two more chances to win.

The other thing this does is make what Ryan Newman and Matt Kenseth are doing in the Chase look downright brilliant. Neither have a win this year yet. With that said, however, Ryan is now second in the points and Matt is fourth in the points. Remember that only four drivers advance after next weekend's race at Phoenix. Those two drivers are using their consistency to make the system work in their favor. They are showing the NASCAR Nation that consistency can play a vital role in who will make the final four in Homestead in November. I think all of a sudden that spotlight has gotten a lot brighter. I think it's also gotten the attention of a lot of folks -- especially in NASCAR -- that despite all the emphasis put back on winning, our 2014 NASCAR Sprint Cup champion could be a driver who never won a race all year. So can Ryan Newman OR Matt Kenseth make it to the end with enough points to win the title while another wins the race.

Set down and go through the figures,it is possible,very possible that a non winner takes the trophy, A wreck could really shake the stakes up or maybe the statement that Kevin Harvick made pertaining to Matt Kenseth could muddy the water real quick.

SO ALL YOU TWIDDLERS OF PENCILS set down and dissect the rest of the season and tell us your version of this..

I think all of a sudden that spotlight has gotten a lot brighter. I think it's also gotten the attention of a lot of folks -- especially in NASCAR -- that despite all the emphasis put back on winning, our 2014 NASCAR Sprint Cup champion could be a driver who never won a race all year.

I think all of a sudden that spotlight has gotten a lot brighter. I think it's also gotten the attention of a lot of folks -- especially in NASCAR -- that despite all the emphasis put back on winning, our 2014 NASCAR Sprint Cup champion could be a driver who never won a race all year.

updated by @johnny-mallonee: 12/05/16 04:04:08PM
bill mcpeek
@bill-mcpeek
10 years ago
820 posts

I still say the MAJOR emphasis should be on winning. The laying back, taking few risks, points racing is making a dull boring parade of people afraid to put the pedal down and go for the win....jmo.

Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
10 years ago
3,119 posts

I've been saying this exact thing for at least six weeks. I cannot even begin to imagine the total disgust I will feel if that Kenseth jerk wins in that Jap crap. That may be the straw that breaks the Legend's hat.

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

Dave Wager
@dave-wager
10 years ago
25 posts

Well,...my opinion...I'm going to give it till the season is over, ponder it this winter and probably be thoroughly pissed off till Daytona.

Now, as far as the 500 mile plate races are concerned,...........

I think qualifying should be split into two, balls out ten lap heat races, as it is on every other Saturday night track in the country, thus eliminating thiscurrent clusteron pit road. And......

500 milers should be split into two 250 same day races,make it a double points day, reverse the top ten (winner starts 10th)in the second 250 and implement a 1/8th mile chicane coming out ofturn 3. If youget wrecked beyond repair in the first 250, you start your backup car in scratch in the 2nd 250.

It will slow them down, eliminate the follow the leader segment, add something new for thepoor bast%^*# that paid $100.00 for and opportunity to rub thighs withthe fat, smelly guy seated next to himand I believe by spreading the field,reduce chances for the big one.

I've vented,....I feel better.

Thank you.

Andy DeNardi
@andy-denardi
10 years ago
365 posts

I'm in favor of splitting the 500s (except for Daytona) into two races, and your qualifying deal sounds good too. I'm not as certain about the chicane out of turn 3. I wish we could bring back bias ply tires because I think they made for better racing on the speedways.

In 1973, David Pearson had 11 wins and Petty had 6. Would you have been willing to tell Benny Parsons that he didn't deserve the championship because he only won one race? If we were using the 60s point system, Newman would probably still be in contention (like James Hylton often was) and Keselowski would have been eliminated long ago.

I'm fine with having Newman or Kenseth as the champion. I also have no objection to "Jap Crap" winning the whole deal. I do have a problem with manufacturers racing cars that have no high-performance equivalent in the marketplace. And however long it's been since NASCAR started running the SS, I've yet to see one on the road or a dealer's lot.

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
10 years ago
9,137 posts

Do you ever notice low ridiculous it looks to watch a pace truck lead a field of low rider, skinny trucks behind it to the flag? They look like mini-trucks at the fair compared to the pace truck.

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
10 years ago
3,259 posts

Well To who ever wanted it Matt Kensith made an apology for what ever in public ------ T H E N ------- he went out and set on the pole for the race at Ft Worth , now wonder what Kevin has to say about that ! oh yeah he also set a new record while doing it..... And its with a Toy Auto

Andy DeNardi
@andy-denardi
10 years ago
365 posts

Tony didn't do too bad either. I remember when it took two and a half miles, a 426 Hemi and a car that looked like an airplane to do that. I'd feel good if he won at Texas. It would close a chapter and also make them race much harder at Phoenix to get that free pass into the final by having a non-chaser win.

I like five of the guys going into the final, I hope four of them make it.

Sandeep Banerjee
@sandeep-banerjee
10 years ago
360 posts

This system is a nice halfway house between wins and consistency. Newman and Kenseth are proving the consistency part while anyone that's been assured of moving on to the next round thanks to a win knows just valuable a win is now. It was never as important to win as it is now but yet the consistency aspect is there too if you want to go that route.

Andy DeNardi
@andy-denardi
10 years ago
365 posts

Keselowski and Harvick are dangerously close to being out of the final. If Gordon has two bad weeks then he could be eliminated too. If none of those three are in running at Homestead then NASCAR will be very disappointed in the TV ratings and race attendance.

I just don't think that Hamlin, Logano, Edwards and Newman are going to make for must-see TV in most people's eyes. If that happens, Brian France is going to slip a supercharger under Danica's hood to spice up the show. She'll lead the first lap and finish 12th.

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
10 years ago
9,137 posts

Rocket Man is quoted in the Ft. Worth, Texas paper saying the champ trophy doesn't list number of wins:

A championship is still a championship, and the trophy doesnt have the number of wins underneath it, Newman said. If we win the championship, that would be great in any form or fashion."

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"