Disaster at Indy

joe92959
@joe92959
16 years ago
4 posts
OK, yesterday they ran the over-hyped race at the Brickyardso someone please tell me, HOW could they have been SO unprepared as to supply a tire that could only last for 8 laps safely???...I would assume a fuel run is in the range of 30-40 laps, and typically you want the tire to last a fuel run, how could they have missed by so much ???The Indianapolis Motor Speedway owes everyone in attendance their money back.this was not a race, but a poor exhibition at best.if this had happened at Pocono, there would never be another race run at that track.but because this was at the track with the name all will be forgiven and swept under the rug
updated by @joe92959: 12/05/16 04:04:08PM
Edwin Sibley
@edwin-sibley
16 years ago
22 posts
Well, Rug,It was anything but professional by NASCAR and Goodyear. One of the two biggest races of the year and as you described an "exhibition" at best. If I had paid for tickets at $200 a pop and driven 800 miles to get there, I'd have been pounding on someone's door until midnight. Then I would be calling my attorney. It was a slap in the face with a cold dead fish to all the fans, owners, crews and drivers to have to put up with such sub standard greed.EdwinSun City, Az
joe92959
@joe92959
16 years ago
4 posts
you are correct Robbie, this is an "uncontrolled environment"...is Goodyear being TOO sensitive to the criticism at the Atlanta race?...I for one would prefer to see them racing on a hard tire that is safe.....a softer tire, as far as I can tell, only provides more speed through the turns, BUT, if this sport were only about speed then Bristol would not be so popular, it's all about the racing, which we saw very little of at the Brickyard
WideOne
@wideone
16 years ago
1 posts
I can't help but think back to when Tony Stewart unloaded on Goodyear earlier this year and it seemed like everyone got down on him. Maybe in hindsight....
Ken Sharpe
@ken-sharpe
16 years ago
88 posts
I agree this was a race that should have never taken place on Sunday. I feel as well that the fans should recieve all their monies back as well as compensation for their travel costs.I feel that this solely lies on the back of NASCAR.Nascar determines when the tire testing takes place, they were not allowed to test hardly at all on this track this year, knowng that this is the first time that they ran the COT there in competition. The history shows that the tires wear badly in the first part of the past races at Indy. Nascar has gone completly to the COT now. THis is a car with a higher center of gravity, Indy is not a high banked track. If yu noticed on the race that the cars were sliding through the turns more so than in many years past. It reminded me of the old pre radial tire days, when Tim Richmond would slide all around the old Richmond Fairgrounds track.I feel that while I like the COT okay. This is time that the new car bit Nascar on the rearend. This car sits to high to run the speeds that they do on the semi flat Indy track.It would be sad to see Nascar mess this up and lose the Indy race venue. But at the same time, I would not blame Tony George a bit if he put heavy restrictions on Nascar to race there in the future.NASCAR, you screwed this up yourself, be a bigboy and step up and say so.Pastor Ken SharpeFlowing River FellowshipLevel Cross, NC
Goober Dude
@goober-dude
16 years ago
5 posts
I'm so disappointed in racin these days. I don't understand how with all the technology how they can have such a mojor screw up on what is supposed to be such an important race. somebody was asleep at the switch. and it wasn't just Good Year.
Amanda Cortright
@amanda-cortright
16 years ago
3 posts
I am sorry but the race stunk! I ended up taking a nap after the first 30 laps because I was not going to waste my time with it. I may not be a racing purist, but I don't like the Brickyard event and never have. I just don't find it exciting. I do understand that it is at a prestigious track so that is tha allure, but this year it was even worse. After the first 20 laps why didn't they just stop the bleeding and reschedule? I know it is impractical, but look what the result is.I think the blame is not all Goodyears's fault. On all the shows I've seen and all of the Sirius shows I've listened to, it seems like everyone is just piling on Goodyear. Yes, Goodyear is responsible and brought a crappy tire, but NASCAR needs to not be so money grubbing and for the benefit of racing make a good decision when they see what is happening.I also think the track should bear some responsibility. The track obviously is catered to Indy cars. The track owner basically said he could care less about this race. Why is it that every other track has to build countless unnecessary ammenities just so NASCAR won't take a race away from them, but Indy doesn't even need to have a track that can support stock cars? I just wish they would give the date to a track that would appreciate the sport instead of snub it.
Edwin Sibley
@edwin-sibley
16 years ago
22 posts
Well, I really don't think NASCAR will go under anytime soon. But choosing another racetrack to take the place of Indy is not a bad idea at all. As our freind above so put it, the track is simply not designed for the NASCAR venue and the COT.
Jon Clifton
@jon-clifton
16 years ago
26 posts
All this was was a tire test.