Running Down A Ghost: Lakeview Speedway-Lexington, NC

Bobby Williamson
@bobby-williamson
13 years ago
907 posts

After its 1947 inception in the Streamline Hotel's  Ebony room , the new sanctioning body, NASCAR, was off and running that summer of 1948. Hopped-up, pre-war, flathead powered Ford coupes called "modifieds" were the flagship and the red-clay communities of North Carolina's piedmont became ground zero. "Promoters" jumped on the band-wagon and clamored for race dates with converted cow pastures, 1/2 mile fairground horse tracks, and even purpose-built facilities serving as tracks. The action was fast and furious, profits and losses could be huge, it was barn-storming and wild-catting on a grand scale. Tracks would spring to life, attract incredible crowds, only to be extinct within a year. Case in point:

Lakeview Speedway...Lexington, North Carolina.

* www.billboard.com/may1948

During the early days of NASCAR's inaugural season of 1948, the 5/8 mile dirt Lakeview Speedway attracted TEN THOUSAND paying fans to a 4,000 seat facility to watch a 30 lap race. Before the season had concluded, NASCAR and Bill "Franks" would return to Lexington in June, August, and a double header in September. Winners were Bob Flock, Curtis Turner, Fonty Flock, and Gober Sosebee, respectively.

* www.howstuffworks.com/nascar 1948 modified results

In spite of it's incredible success, the Lakeview Speedway on survived for a couple seasons, and joined the ranks of the Carolina Ghost Track society. Nevertheless, the Lakeview Speedway played host to NASCAR's inaugural season and, consequently, shares a unique past with other notable North Carolina venues such as North Wilkesboro, Occoneechee, and Wadesboro. Lakeview is important, and needs to be documented. I may have found the original footprint, and would appreciate verification or additional information regarding the old track's location. This particular spot is just off "old" hwy 29 between Lexington and Salisbury and very near the intersection of 29 and Belmont Road in the Linwood community.

updated by @bobby-williamson: 12/19/16 08:45:48AM
N.B. Arnold
@nb-arnold
13 years ago
121 posts
I have an original entry blank for the June 6th, 1948 Lakeview race on my page.
Robert Mitchell
@robert-mitchell
13 years ago
327 posts

Double Feature at Lakeview Speedway - Sept. 26, 1948

Robert Mitchell
@robert-mitchell
13 years ago
327 posts

Bobby,

With a quick look on Google Earth, I saw this -

Here is the site today -

This is from a little more altitude -

It sure looks like an old track, and there are some small lakes around it. I believe it's just south of where you found.

Robert Mitchell
@robert-mitchell
13 years ago
327 posts

The location I posted about is on the south side of I-85 going west right before it intersects with hwy 52,the south side ofOld Linwood Road, right before you get to Hargrave Road. The spot is right behind New Testament Baptist Church.There is a small pond to the left of what looks to be the north turns from the 1993 satilite photo.

Bobby Williamson
@bobby-williamson
13 years ago
907 posts

Robert Mitchell said:

The location I posted about is on the south side of I-85 going west right before it intersects with hwy 52,the south side ofOld Linwood Road, right before you get to Hargrave Road. The spot is right behind New Testament Baptist Church.There is a small pond to the left of what looks to be the north turns from the 1993 satilite photo.

Robert, Billy Biscoe remembers the old track being on the south side of I-85. He also said it was near some point of High Rock Lake. There may be some indication of this site on topo maps...msr.maps.com. I really appreciate your help on this, and other historic tracks. Lakeview was another 'original class' of NASCAR ...making it special.

Will Tate
@will-tate
12 years ago
9 posts

Hello All, Will Tate here. I am from the Lexington, NC area, and have researched this track extensively. I have compliled information on at least 8 races comfirmed over 1948 (5 races)and 1949 (3 races). As far as the location of the racetrack, I tend to agree more with Billy Biscoe's account of where the track was located. I have found that the track was built on the old"Lexington Golf Course". I found a map from 1946/1947which shows the golf course further south than where you have it located. Today, the site is where NC Hwy 150 and Interstate 85 merge. Also, the picture above with an outline of where you think the track is, by my estimation is nota large enough area. Hard to get a 100% accurate scale, but the best I could find is that it is to small an area. Pictures that I have seen of the track and have in my possession show that a large parking area was next to the track, which I do not see any evidence of in this picture. I hope to get some pictures uploaded soon. Let me know if you need more information on this or other tracks in the Piedmont and Triad area. W

Robert Mitchell
@robert-mitchell
12 years ago
327 posts

Will, Bobby Williamson has done an incredible jobfinding the exact location ofdozens and dozens of these early tracks, and a few of us other members have found a few, too. But the Lexington track has been one of those elusive cases where we know the general area but just can't nail it down for sure. Let'ssettle this mystery. Exactly where was it??

Will Tate
@will-tate
12 years ago
9 posts

Unfortunately, I feel that there is hardly anything that would show exact location. As I said, I found an oldmap which showed where the golf course was, but not the speedway. If you go on Google Maps or Google Earth, head to where Interstate 85 and Hwy 150 meet... There are several "open" areas, where no trees are...They appear to be oblong and bending circles which I preceive (but not 100%) as the layout of some holes from the old golf course. There is a neighbor hood north of that location. You will see where the interstate, the highway and Old Salisbury Road come together. I have been told, that turns 1 and 2 actually were where hwy 150's access road is, and the rest of the track was more or less where the Interstate is now. The Large open area which has now been graded down on the opposite side of 150 (new exit lane from 85 South), is (my opinion based on pictures) the old parking lot. I will try and upload some of my pictures soon! I have asked some people I know that have affiliations with the highway reconstruction project if they have found any relics or artifacts from their digs and apparently they haven't found anything... Several people I spoke with recall the track in this area, much closer to the river from where Bobby thought... I also heard about the site behind the church, but there simply is not enough space for the track and the parking area, unless drastic land changes have occured. Ihavewalked several sites to attempt to find any trace, unsuccesfully. I have been up in an airplaneand have visually looked, and feel this is the likely area. Lakeview BaptistChurch is less than 2/10's of a mile from this site. I actually have a very grainy picture of Lakeview, which I found in an edition of the Sailsbury Post. It shows the track very close to the old highway (which is Old Salisbury Road). Look for my pictures and I will display my evidence to try and close this case!

Robert Mitchell
@robert-mitchell
12 years ago
327 posts

I'm hoping if we just keep looking, an aerial or topographic map from the late '40's will turn up showing the old track. There's just bound to be something out there, so don't give up.

Dennis Andrews
@dennis-andrews
11 years ago
835 posts

Bobby,

I asked dad if he ever ran at a track near Salisbury and he said he did. It would have been in the late 50's and he remembered it as Lakewood(50 years is a long time to remember) so if it isthe same track then it lasted more than a few years. Could have been it was only Nascar sanctioned a couple of years and then went outlaw.

Dad said the promoter paid by this formula, he got 50% of the gate and the rest went to the purse.Dad won a feature there on night in '58 or '59and got 25 or 30 bucks.

David Feezor
@david-feezor
9 years ago
2 posts

Ok guys I am not sure if anyone found the location for this, but I did via a 1960 aerial photograph of the area. The website is historicaerials.com and it's really handy for things like this. I've got a photo of the area with the speedway boxed in. On the current Google maps view the northernmost turn visible was actually turned into a banked exit right where 150 meets 85. I've got pictures of the actual footprint when it was still there and I've circled on the modern map where the site currently sits. Notice how perfectly the exit matches the upper curve.

David Feezor
@david-feezor
9 years ago
2 posts

I'm not sure if this will notify you or not. But i've added info and pictures of the site to this thread.

Bobby Williamson
@bobby-williamson
9 years ago
907 posts

Good job, David. Thanks!

Dennis Andrews
@dennis-andrews
9 years ago
835 posts

I found a 1947 article that confirms what Will Tate and David Feezor have stated. In the fall of 1947 Zeb Grubb Enterprises had 3 projects under construction. A 3100 foot airport, bulk oil and gas distribution station and Lakeview Speedway half way between Lexington and Salisbury. The 5/8 mile banked dirt track was planning to open in the spring of 1948 and was located on a portion of the old Lexington Golf Course property and was flanked on three sides by paved roads US 29 (now I-85), old hwy. 29 and NC 150. A 4,000 capacity grand stand was under construction on the North side of the track. The incorporators of the speedway were J.M. Smith, Tommy Picket and Zeb Little, all of Lexington. AT the time Little was a student at UNC Chapel Hill. Stock cars, midgets and motorcycle races were being planned. The airport and distribution station were located closer to Lexington.

Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
9 years ago
3,259 posts

So there you go, the DA has spoken --- good thread here, I like reading these and sometimes a great spin off happens.

Bobby Williamson
@bobby-williamson
9 years ago
907 posts

Great work, everyone! Back in the day, racetracks were considered 'investments' and could readily attract investors. Viewed as a for-profit enterprise; the landscape has changed.

Bob Coleman
@bob-coleman
9 years ago
4 posts

Bobby, there was another speedway just south of Salisbury. I found an article about the track and the history, and one aerial view. It was off Hwy 29 & Airport Rd.

http://m.salisburypost.com/2011/10/22/rowans-days-of-thunder/

Nice to hear of the track north of town. As many times as I drove 85 I never knew the track had been there. I had only heard of a go kart track in that area. Thanks for keeping the memories alive.

Will Tate2
@will-tate2
8 years ago
4 posts

Which article are you referring to that confirms what I have stated Dennis? I would like to see this article.

Thanks, W

Will Tate2
@will-tate2
8 years ago
4 posts

Here is a 1948 aerial photo of the airport referred to above. This location is located just south of the current Sheets gas station and runs around the area of where the Bryan Center of Lexington nursing home is now located. The distance of 3100 feet runs the length of the open areas where the businesses are located starting with Bryan Center and running southwest.

Dennis Andrews
@dennis-andrews
8 years ago
835 posts

Here are the articles Will.

Will Tate2
@will-tate2
8 years ago
4 posts

Thanks so much for posting these articles. I had a few minutes this morning and stopped by the library and looked at the microfilms of the Dispatch and found the Three Zeb Grubb Enterprises article for my records!

The other article, I am assuming it was in a different paper. Can you advise?

I went to the July 24th date on the other article and couldn't find it, but I did find this! A huge find if I may say so!!!

This blurb in the paper (I think on page 2) gives us:

1. The date that construction started on the track --- Likely around July 17-19 due to article saying construction had been ongoing for around a week.

2. The construction worker/foreman whose machinery was used to build track: Harold Lomax of Lexington

3. Engineer and Supervisor (Surveyor): Brooks Coles of Salisbury

States that the construction will continue to include grandstands, ticket offices and enclosing the track with fence.

Also lists Lakeview Speedway, Inc.