Tough week gets tougher - Jim Vandiver has passed

TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
9 years ago
4,073 posts

From a tweet by Huntersville United Methodist Church and James Funeral Home obituary:

http://jamesfuneralhomelkn.com/jim-vandiver

James E. Vandiver, Jr., 77, a native Charlottean and resident of Huntersville for more than 40 years, was called home on June 18, 2015. Jim was the definition of a positive attitude, never worrying about anything and always having a GREAT day. A retired NASCAR driver, Jim enjoyed success as an independent driver and was the actual winner of the 1969 inaugural Talladega race, though he described his family as his greatest accomplishment. Jim is survived by, according to him, the 4 greatest kids anybody could ever ask for including son Emory Vandiver and wife CJ of Belmont, son Rhett Vandiver of Davidson, daughter Nicole Bryan and husband Callan of Davidson and daughter Shannon Vandiver of Cornelius. He is also survived by brother Tommie Vandiver, sister Lillian Hoopaugh and grandchildren Rhett Vandiver, Blake Vandiver, Marlo Vandiver, Cal Bryan, Lily Bryan and Will Bryan. Jims parents, James E. Vandiver, Sr. and Lillian Fesperman Vandiver, and his brother Milton Ray Van Vandiver went before him to glory.

The funeral will be held at 4 p.m. on Monday, June 22nd at Jims church of over 40 years, Huntersville United Methodist Church with a viewing at 3:30 p.m. Family and friends are invited to celebrate Jims life, as he requested, with a party afterwards at The Pearl Wedding and Events Center in Cornelius at 5:30 p.m. A private burial will be held at Northlake Memorial Gardens. Memorials may be made to Huntersville United Methodist Church.

--
Schaefer: It's not just for racing anymore.

updated by @tmc-chase: 12/03/16 07:58:32PM
Harvey Tollison
@harvey-tollison
9 years ago
226 posts

This has been a tough week with Jim Vandiver, Glenn McDuffie and Gary Jones . Praying for all there families and friends

Devin
@devin
9 years ago
618 posts

It has in so many areas.

I believe his sister, Lillian is a member of RacersReunion. Thoughts and prayers to all.

TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
9 years ago
4,073 posts

Was really fortunate to meet Jim last October at Memory Lane Museum, get his autograph, and listen a few minutes to him about his era and the Americarna show with Ray Evernham.

--
Schaefer: It's not just for racing anymore.
Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
9 years ago
3,119 posts

Thoughts and prayers to the family and friends. Jim was really a great man.

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

Charles Craig
@charles-craig
9 years ago
57 posts

Dub Simpson and I made a day of visiting a couple weeks ago and stopped to see Jim and Walter Ballard. Jim had moved to the upper end of his buildings with his carlot and was in good spirits. I go all the way back to Robinwood knowing Jim and Tommy. Jim always came to my cruise in and racing reunion every year. He has been a good friend all these years and would call from time to time to see who I had heard from. He would talk of his racing career and would light up telling the real true stories thatnow days are not "politically correct". A true character. Jim was one of theindependent drivers who proved what he could do with talent and hard work and luck. He was a good dirt track driver when I was coming up. He really showed what he could do on asphalt super speedways .He was fearless.He always took time to stop and talk to me when I was a kid and was a friend who always was glad to see me and hear from me. I will miss his phone conversations and hearing the way it really was from the" horses mouth". R.I.P. my friend.

Charles Craig

Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
9 years ago
3,259 posts

GOD SPEED this is getting tougher every year

Charles Craig
@charles-craig
9 years ago
57 posts

Yea Johnny, we also lost Harold Russell from Gastonia this week. He had dozens of movie rental cars and would always bring the police cars and golf carts for my cruise in and racing reunion. Would give you the shirt off his back. He loved to share his collection with his friends and was very humble and loved his buddies..He was big in the Hornets Nest car club who help organize Auto Fair. Harold was the best just like Jim. I will miss both of them.

Alex FL Racing Fan
@alex-fl-racing-fan
9 years ago
221 posts

RIP Jim. It was awesome to meet you and have your son introduce you as "NASCAR winner Jim Vandiver"

bill mcpeek
@bill-mcpeek
9 years ago
820 posts

May they all rest in peace and my condolences to their families, friends and fans.

Dennis Andrews
@dennis-andrews
9 years ago
835 posts

Thoughts and prayers for comfort and peace for family and friends.

#3 Jim Vandiver, #88 T.C. Hunt, #40 Phil Spiak in 1969 Grand Touring race.