Ned Jarrett

David l steelman
@david-l-steelman
12 years ago
31 posts
Good story from fall of 1957. Ned had two second place finishes in one day at Richmond & Greensboro fairgrounds driving Frank Steelman Jr #9 sportsman car. Ran second to Johnny Roberts #7 at Richmond in the afternoon. We loaded quickly and started to Greensboro and Ned stayed and got winnings and then flew his plane toward NC. Ned had plane trouble and had to land in a corn field south of Danville. A farmer brought him to Greensboro just in time to start in the rear for the main event, finished second. Cannot remember who won Greensboro feature. Earl Moss driving William Davis #3 also ran both races. William got a speeding ticket on the way to Greensboro. I am David Steelman crew member of #9. PS: Ned was the first person I can remember that was a businessman, gentleman, and handled himself with class during the early racing days. Ned won the sportsman championship in 1957 running around 70+ feature races.
updated by @david-l-steelman: 12/05/16 04:00:58PM
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

A great story. Thanks for sharing.

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
David l steelman
@david-l-steelman
12 years ago
31 posts
Ned Jarrett did not drive for my brother starting 1958, but recommended Bobby Isaac who at the time was driving outlaw tracks in Sc and NC for Frank Heffner, Cherryville NC. Bobby drove 1958 thru 1961 for my brother. Best results was we won a 200 lap modified race at Hickory NC fall of 58 or 59. It was the last race ever run at Hickory on dirt. We also won a 50 lap race the night before at Columbia SC speedway. Ken Rush drove for us 1962 - 64.
bill mcpeek
@bill-mcpeek
12 years ago
820 posts

What a great story...Gentleman Ned was always my favorite driver and I loved hearing about the corn field landing and the other drivers ticket....thanks again

Robert Mitchell
@robert-mitchell
12 years ago
327 posts

David, thank you for that great story. I wasn't aware that Ned drove the Steelman #9. It was one of my favorite cars of that time.

David, could you tell me if this photo is of the old Steelman Motor Company where you built the #9 cars? It is on Highway 67 West Main Street on the west edge of Booneville -

And here is a couple of shots of the Steelman #9 at Peace Haven Speedway in 1954, and Bowman Gray Stadium in the pits at the firstTobacco Bowl in 1955 with driver Pee Wee Jones-

David l steelman
@david-l-steelman
12 years ago
31 posts
Yes that is building. Ned only drove that one year, then Bobby Isaac started in 1958. Thanks for the pictures! I think Shorty York may have been first driver maybe 1949 thru early fifties, then Pee Wee Jones, then in 57 starting running all dirt with Jarrett and Isaac. then in 1963 started running asphalt again with Ken Rush. thelLast year 1964 we used #53, won modified championship at Bowman Gray. Last race we ever run was at Trenton NJ late 1964. That fall sold everything and quit. Frank did help out Bobby Isaac a few times in the pits late 60's and early 70's with #71 K and K car.
David l steelman
@david-l-steelman
12 years ago
31 posts
yes that is the building that my father frank Steelman and brother built and maintain their race cars. Used #9 from 1949 thru 1963, 1964 used #53. Regular drivers where shorty York, pee wee jones, Ned jarrett, Bobby Isaac, last one was ken rush. I traveled with them form Daytona beach course to syracuse mile and everywhere in-between.
Robert Mitchell
@robert-mitchell
12 years ago
327 posts

Great info, David. Do you have any memories of Peace Haven Speedway you could share? I'm researching the track and I'd love to hear any stories.

Who else do you remember that drove the #9? I'd heard Curtis Turner drove the car a time or two.

This sign was in the window at the old Steelman shop and it reminded me of Curtis -

And here's a shot of Shorty York driving the #9 at Peace Haven in 1952-

David l steelman
@david-l-steelman
12 years ago
31 posts
Can,t remember much about peace haven, I was too young. I remember it was always on Sunday afternoons and some people would come straight from church and still have their white shirts and ties on. You are right Curtis turner did drive a few times for the steelmans. So did ray platte, Earl moss, Tom Webster, Eddie crouse, and the USAC champion Mel Larson at the old concord speedway. That was a Bruton smith promotion. I think we got $200 extra or appearance money.
Robert Mitchell
@robert-mitchell
12 years ago
327 posts

I believe Randy Myers told me his dad Bill and uncle Bobby both drove the #9 a few times, too.

David, do you have any photos from back in the day that you could share? And keep the great stories coming. Do you remember anymore about Daytona or Greensboro? Did you ever go to Tri-City Speedway in High Point?

Jeff Gilder
@jeff-gilder
12 years ago
1,783 posts

What a fantastic thread!! David, thanks for sharing. sometimes I'm amazed at the history one post can reveal.

--
Founder/Creator - RacersReunion®
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

David - exciting for me to learn that in addition to Curtis Turner, Virginians Ray Platte and two-time NASCAR National Modified Champion Eddie Crouse from the Richmond area also drove your family's car. The fact that your story began at my hometown Richmond track immediately got my attention, of course, and now you just keep piling on more and more things of interest.

Thanks.

--
David l steelman
@david-l-steelman
12 years ago
31 posts
Ray Platte while subbing for ken rush, died driving our car 1963 at south Boston. I think Ray had a heart attack and then hit the third turn wall. this was the only driver injury in 15 years of racing. I forgot Rex White drove at bowman gray stadium a couple of times for my father. I also forgot we won a modified feature at Greensboro with Billy Myers driving my brother's car. Richmond fairgrounds late 50's. Paul Sawyer was promoter. We ran Wilson NC fairgrounds on Sat and won. drove to Richmond, slept on the ground near racetrack, finished second, Bobby Isaac driving. Mr Sawyer owe us 200 hundred dollars appearance money for both races. His comment after Richmond race was "I thought you had won so much in two races you would not want the 200". After a small discussion standing right on the. Track near flag stand, Mr. Sawyer pull out two big rolls of money and finally gave my brother the 200.
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

Another great story... this time about my former boss, Paul Sawyer. Please keep your memories coming. You are posting wonderful stuff that most of us have only heard bits and pieces of... if we have heard at all.

Thank you again.

--
Robert Mitchell
@robert-mitchell
12 years ago
327 posts

Here's a couple more pics of the old Steelman race shop -

Looking through the window into the garage where the legendary #9 was built -

Jonesville - 5 miles, Elkin - 8

A shot of the #9 after a win with Pee Wee behind the wheel -

David l steelman
@david-l-steelman
12 years ago
31 posts
One more story for today. Moyock dog track late 50's. 200 lap national modified championship. October on a Sunday afternoon. Over 100 cars showed up. Qualified all, we won the pole with Bobby Isaac driving. Did not start until almost 5pm due to long qualifying and two last chance heat races. Eddie crouse #269 won, Isaac #9 was second, Earl moss #3 was third. I scored Isaac, sat beside bill wimble's wife, Morris metcalf was official scorer. We got second place money, pole money and 150 from autolite spark plugs. Total 1100, that was the most we ever had won in one race. We finished the race with an empty tank and both right side tires with fiber showing. That was a good ride back home to Boonville nc that night.
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

Our RR member, "Coastal" Jack Walker has a Walt Wimer photo from the Marty Little collection of the Eddie Crouse #269 Modified posted on his Carolina Race Place site. This link will take you directly to the photo:

http://www.raceplace.zoomshare.com/album/Pit%206%20-%20Rambi%20Race...

--
Jack Walker
@jack-walker
12 years ago
162 posts

David- Wasn't Bobby Isaac driving the #9 when he won 2 big races at Rambi Raceway in Myrtle Beach ? Those races were the Rambi 99 in 1958, and Rambi 99 again on July 2nd 1960.

David l steelman
@david-l-steelman
12 years ago
31 posts
Yes we won right many races at Rambi from 1958 to 62 with Isaac and Ken Rush
David l steelman
@david-l-steelman
12 years ago
31 posts
Eddie drove one time on thanksgiving at Lawrencevill Va and a year or two later at Southside Speedway, 400 laps, Ed Flemke won. I do remember he always had a cigar!
Jack Walker
@jack-walker
12 years ago
162 posts

David - Do you have any photos of the #9 coach that you can post ?

David l steelman
@david-l-steelman
12 years ago
31 posts
Yes I do, but can,t get to load. Send me your email and I will send it to you and you can post if you like
Jack Walker
@jack-walker
12 years ago
162 posts

Please send me whatever you can.

Thanks Jack

jack98@sc.rr.com

David l steelman
@david-l-steelman
12 years ago
31 posts
I sent you 4 pictures
Robert Staley
@robert-staley
12 years ago
86 posts

one of the coolest things that i have witnessed in the last ten years wason sunday september 14,2003 when timothy peters won an early afternoon late model race at orange county, n.c. speedway and then finished fourth later in the afternoon in a similar race at south boston. orange county runnerup peyton sellers also made the trip north and started in the rear of the sobo field with peters. i remember that there were 20 cars at sobo as i helped larry smith announce the race for WMVA radio out of martinsville. unfortunately i can't remember where sellers finished or even who won the race. the peters performance was the only time i can remember a driver doing that well at two different tracks on the same day. and yes, this is a very cool thread !

Robert Mitchell
@robert-mitchell
12 years ago
327 posts

Hey Jack, post those pictures if you got them!

Jack Walker
@jack-walker
12 years ago
162 posts

Jack Walker
@jack-walker
12 years ago
162 posts

Jack Walker
@jack-walker
12 years ago
162 posts

Jack Walker
@jack-walker
12 years ago
162 posts

Jack Walker
@jack-walker
12 years ago
162 posts

Here are 4 photos from the David Steelman collection. The #9 coach was Bobby isaac. The #9A was the car Mel Larson drove at Concord around 1955. The #9 Coupe was Shorty York at Peace Haven around 1952. The 4th photo is Ken Rush, David Steelman, and Pee Wee Jones around 2000 in Greensboro.

Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
12 years ago
3,119 posts

Absolutely awesome reading and pictures! Thanks to all of you who contributed.

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts
A very nice model.

--
Robert Mitchell
@robert-mitchell
12 years ago
327 posts

Very cool model, Chuck! The Steelman #9 has such ahuge history with all the places it raced and the legendary drivers that drove it and won races with it,so it's nice to see the car get some recognition.

Dennis  Garrett
@dennis-garrett
12 years ago
560 posts

The above photo shot of the #9 N.C. after a win with Pee Wee Jones behind the wheel -

What year did this happen?
What track?
Who was the starter/flagman of the race?

Thank you very much for any information given.
Dennis Garrett
Richmond,Va.

David l steelman
@david-l-steelman
12 years ago
31 posts
My guess is 1953,54,55 probably BGS in W-S, NC but the background does not look right. Could be old Raleigh speedway or maybe Starkey Speedway in Roanoke VA?.. Pretty sure it is asphalt track somewhere in the early to mid 50's! We raced from Daytona beach course to Syracuse Mile and every where in between!
Dennis  Garrett
@dennis-garrett
12 years ago
560 posts

I just found an 1957 NASCAR SANCTIONED Souvenir Program NO.25493, Price 25c/SPORTSMEN'S AND AMATEUR STOCK CAR RACES/Bowman Gray Stadum, WINSTON-SALEM, N.C., PROGRAM NO. 15/Raleigh Speedway, RALEIGH,N.C., PROGRAM NO. 6.

Photo #1. 1957 NASCAR SANCTIONED Souvenir Program NO.25493 front cover

Photo #2. Bowman Gray Stadum Hobby drivers battle neck to neck

Photo #3. Bowman Gray Stadum Hobby 3 different types of auto brands
What are they? Crosley on far left side?

Photo #4. Bowman Gray Stadum SCHEDULE OF EVENTS - PROGRAM NO. 15

Photo #5. Bowman Gray Stadum SPORTSMAN POINT STANDING THRU JULY 13, 1957
Listed Pee Wee Jones in 2nd place - 458 points.
Listed Tom Webster in 3nd place - 424 points.

Photo #6. Bowman Gray Stadum AMATEURS POINT STANDING THRU JULY 13, 1957

Photo #7a.Probable Entries For The Sportsmen's Races
Listed Car No.9 as a Ford (year?), Tom Webster as car driver Winston-Salem,N.C. as hometown, Frank Steelman as car owner
Listed Car No.9a as a Ford (year?), Pee Wee Jones as car driver Winston-Salem,N.C. as hometown, Frank Steelman as car owner

Photo #7b.Probable Entries For The Sportsmen's Races

Photo #8. RALEIGH SPEEDWAY SCHEDULE OF EVENTS - PROGRAM NO. 6
RALEIGH SPEEDWAY must be an bad race track to race on.
Because it listed AMBULANCE SERVICE ---- OVERBY FUNERAL HOME, RALEIGH, N.C.

Photo #9a.THE 1957 RACING SCOREBOARD - Bowman Gray Stadum SPORTSMEN'S
Listed race driver Tom Webster as winning (4) "FEATURE" RACES on April 13,1957; June 1,1957; June 8,1957; and June 29,1957
Listed race driver Pee Wee Jones as winning (1) "CONSOLATION" RACE AND (1) "FEATURE" RACE on May 18, 1957.

Photo #9b.THE 1957 RACING SCOREBOARD - RALEIGH SPEEDWAY SPORTSMEN'S
Listed race driver Pee Wee Jones as winning (2) "1ST HEAT" RACES on APRIL 26,1957; and JUNE 14,1957.

Listed race driver Tom Webster as winning (3) "2ND HEAT" RACES on MAY 10, 2012; MAY 24, 2012; and JUNE 14, 2012.

David l steelman
@david-l-steelman
12 years ago
31 posts
,This was my dad's cars 9 & 9A. Frank Steelman Sr. My brother Frank Steelman Jr was off running dirt with #9 Ned Jarrett driver. Ned drove our sportsman car and also drove # 238 limited sportsman car , not sure who owned it, but both counted toward sportsman points. Frank Steelman Sr passed away May 1958. Jr. Passed away January 2001. Thanks for your interest in the Steelman's racing history!!!
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

Lotta interesting stuff there, Dennis, including the recap story of the race at Coastal Speedway in Myrtle Beach.

Many interesting names. I see the announcer at Bowman Gray in 1957 was my all-time favorite radio racing announcer, the late Bob Montgomery of Greensboro. Nobody could describe a Darlington Southern 500 on the radio like Bob.

Note the upcoming schedule at the Raleigh track for July 4th, 1957... the 250-mile National Sweepstakes race. It would only run 1 more year - 1958 - before Big Bill France moved that date to his new Daytona track.

The Mods and Sportsman cars at Raleigh ran on a 1/4-mile track inside the mile track.

--
Dennis  Garrett
@dennis-garrett
12 years ago
560 posts

Listed race driver Tom Webster as winning (3) "2ND HEAT" RACES on MAY 10, 2012; MAY 24, 2012; and JUNE 14, 2012.
Last part should be corrected to following:

Listed race driver Tom Webster as winning (3) "2ND HEAT" RACES on MAY 10, 2012; MAY 24,1957; and JUNE 14, 1957.
Listed race driver Tom Webster as winning (1) "CONSOLATION" RACE on April 26, 1957.

Thank you very much any information given.
Dennis Garrett
Richmond,Va.

THANK GOD AND EVERYTHING A-OK IN RICHMOND, VA. USA

Jack Walker
@jack-walker
12 years ago
162 posts

Note that Dink Widenhouse was going for his 5th feature win in a row when spun out on the final lap at Coastal Speedway. (Dink would have been driving his famous #B-29 then)

David l steelman
@david-l-steelman
12 years ago
31 posts
B-29 was owned by a guy we called "Greaseball" don't know his name but remember visiting his garage with Bobby Isaac one day in the late fifty's somewhere near kanapolis/concord area.
Robert Mitchell
@robert-mitchell
12 years ago
327 posts

I see Eb Clifton in those lists a few times. Eb started racing in '48 or '49 and he's still at it, helping build the cars at the shop in Rural Hallwhere his grandson Tim Brown's Bowman Gray car is built. He's gotta be at least 85 now. And Fred Harb who startedracing in the '40sis still running his garage in High Point!

Oh, and I ran into Harry Leake at the K & W here in Winston a couple of weeks ago. Super nice guy.

Andy DeNardi
@andy-denardi
12 years ago
365 posts

Photo #3. Bowman Gray Stadium Hobby 3 different types of auto brands
What are they? Crosley on far left side?

The white car in the center may be a 1935-36 Oldsmobile. The car on the near side should be easy but I can't seem to place it. I'm confused about exactly what that grillework looks like. I'm certain that the little car isn't a Crosley

Jack Walker
@jack-walker
12 years ago
162 posts

David - I was looking at some old race results, and noticed that Mel Larson finished 42nd at Concord. The race was 200 lapson Oct 27th, 1957, and named the U.S. Modified Championship. Banjo Matthews won driving a 1937 Ford. It was also the race that Earl Bryant got killed in. Was this the race that Mel Larson crashed the #9A in ?

David l steelman
@david-l-steelman
12 years ago
31 posts
Yes that is correct, went off down in the woods near first turn. We got $200 appearance money from Bruton Smith plus $25. That 9A never raced again! Just a note I believe Banjo car # that day was M-1. Question: you don't happen to know what year in the fall was the last race on dirt at Hickory. I know Steelman #9 won with Bobby Isaac driving.
Jack Walker
@jack-walker
12 years ago
162 posts

Thanks David --- According to Racing Reference the last dirt track Grand National race held at Hickory was April 9th, 1967, and the first paved Grand National race at Hickory was Sept.8th, 1967.

Jack

Jack Walker
@jack-walker
12 years ago
162 posts

David - I did a little more research, and found an article in Southern MotorSports Journal saying the first pavement race at Hickory was on Tuesday August 8th, 1967. (see attachment)

Devin
@devin
12 years ago
618 posts

Very cool, Chuck! I'm glad you were able to attend. That's awesome.

Gary Bryant
@gary-bryant
11 years ago
1 posts

Do you know Earl Bryant or anyone who does. I am trying to get some information on him.

Jack Walker
@jack-walker
11 years ago
162 posts

Gary - Earl Bryant died in the 8th lapcrash in the U.S. Modified Championship race at Concord, NC on Oct 27th, 1957.

L. Kent Cope
@l-kent-cope
9 years ago
6 posts

Awesome early NASCAR history! Thanks for sharing it to us.

L. Kent Cope
@l-kent-cope
9 years ago
6 posts

Gentleman Ned, as many referred to him, was an example of a fair guy in racing. He was my favorite around 1961 in the Chevy going for the GN championship. He and Joe Gibbs are very special men that are and have been associated to helping NASCAR grow. They set good examples for kids learning to like our sport.

Dennis  Garrett
@dennis-garrett
6 years ago
560 posts

[quote="David l steelman"] ,This was my dad's cars 9 & 9A. Frank Steelman Sr. My brother Frank Steelman Jr was off running dirt with #9 Ned Jarrett driver. Ned drove our sportsman car and also drove # 238 limited sportsman car , not sure who owned it, but both counted toward sportsman points. Frank Steelman Sr passed away May 1958. Jr. Passed away January 2001. Thanks for your interest in the Steelman's racing history!!! [/quote]

During the 1956 season Ned Jarrett of Newton, NC finished 2nd in the National Nascar Sportsman point standings. That same year Jarrett was the North Carolina State Champion, and also won Track Championships at Asheville, NC, and Greenville, SC. During the early years Jarrett usually drove cars numbered 238. This photo was taken at the old Concord Speedway and is from the Brian Simpson collection.

Ned Jarrett <a href=#238" align="center" id="photo" vspace="5">

Photo   #7b .Probable Entries For The Sportsmen's Races

Listed #238 limited sportsman Ford car driver and car owner as Ned Jarrett from Newton, N. C.

Dennis Garrett

Richmond, Va. USA

updated by @dennis-garrett: 01/18/20 05:20:38AM
bri
@bri
6 years ago
1 posts

[quote="David l steelman"] Good story from fall of 1957. Ned had two second place finishes in one day at Richmond & Greensboro fairgrounds driving Frank Steelman Jr #9 sportsman car. Ran second to Johnny Roberts #7 at Richmond in the afternoon. We loaded quickly and started to Greensboro and Ned stayed and got winnings and then flew his plane toward NC. Ned had plane trouble and had to land in a corn field south of Danville. A farmer brought him to Greensboro just in time to start in the rear for the main event, finished second. Cannot remember who won Greensboro feature. Earl Moss driving William Davis #3 also ran both races. William got a speeding ticket on the way to Greensboro. I am David Steelman crew member of #9. PS: Ned was the first person I can remember that was a businessman, gentleman, and handled himself with class during the early racing days. Ned won the sportsman championship in 1957 running around 70+ feature races. [/quote]