CAMPING WORLD TRUCKS TO RUN GREENVILLE-PICKENS IN 2013

Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
12 years ago
3,119 posts

So says Brian Z. in his Homestead press conference today. We'll see about that. Would be an awesome show.

Tim

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

updated by @tim-leeming: 12/05/16 04:02:57PM
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

Win, win, win! All great news.

Now, let's get the trucks off Daytona and the other superspeedways and add more top tier weekly tracks like South Boston to the Truck schedule and give weekly "home track" fans a great visiting touring series.

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

And how about this great Truck news for 2013?

* Canada

* ROAD COURSE!!!!

Canadian Tire Motorsport Park To Host First Canadian Race In The NASCAR Camping World Truck Series
By Mosport International Raceway
Published: Friday, Nov. 16, 2012 - 7:06 am

BOWMANVILLE, ON, Nov. 16, 2012 /CNW/ - Canadian Tire Motorsport Park is thrilled to announce that it has been included on the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series 2013 schedule on Labour Day Weekend (September 1). This will mark the first ever Canadian stop for the truck series.

This Labour Day weekend race will also mark the first time in 13 years that a Camping World Truck Series race will take place on a road course. The historic significance of the track in Canada, combined with its thrilling 3.957 km road course makes Canadian Tire Motorsport Park the perfect place to make truck series history.

"We at Canadian Tire Motorsport Park are thrilled to be able to bring the Camping World Truck Series to Canadian motorsport fans," said Myles Brandt, President and General Manager of Canadian Tire Motorsport Park. "We're looking forward to creating an unforgettable experience for both fans and drivers alike this Labour Day weekend as we mark yet another milestone in the history of Canadian Tire Motorsport Park."

"With a thriving community of world class drivers and incredible fans, the arrival of the Camping World Truck Series in Canada is a testament to the growth of motorsport over the years," said Allan MacDonald, Senior Vice President, Automotive at Canadian Tire. "Between the truck series race and the return of the NASCAR Canadian Tire Series, 2013 is set to be a landmark year for motorsports in Canada."

"We're excited to announce the addition of a world-class facility like Canadian Tire Motorsport Park to our NASCAR Camping World Truck Series schedule for 2013," said Steve O'Donnell, Senior Vice President of Racing Operations for NASCAR.

"We're looking forward to working with Canadian Tire Motorsport Park as we introduce the truck series to our great fans in Canada. Their enthusiastic response to our sport has helped grow its popularity in Canada significantly throughout the years."

Tickets for the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series Weekend are on sale now. For more information or to purchase tickets and holiday gift certificates, call the Canadian Tire Motorsport Park Hotline at 1-800-866-1072 (Monday to Friday from 9 am to 5 pm ET), visit online at www.canadiantiremotorsportpark.com , or email info@ctmpark.com.

For more information about the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series visit online at http://www.nascar.com/series/truck/

SOURCE Mosport International Raceway

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

I 'spect you are on target with your theory.

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

How many more trial balloons will NASCAR float?

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

One of my favorite venues in the early years of the Truck Series was when they went to Portland, Oregon's half-mile in 1996. The speedway is famous for its blackberry bushes in turns 3-4. Wrecker drivers used to not want to get cars out of that area because of all the thornes, lol!

Note, there was a Petty Enterprises Dodge truck on the pole!

--
Mike Ashley
@mike-ashley
12 years ago
37 posts

G-P great news, now just get David Person into a good truck for this race...

Jason Ferguson
@jason-ferguson
12 years ago
27 posts

It's about time NASCAR started trying to return to its short track roots. I was beginning to wonder if short tracks would become non-existent in the top tiers of the sport!It's a small step, but it's a start...I just hope NASCAR decides to follow through with it.

Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
12 years ago
3,259 posts

And to think some questioned what I wrote about this coming last year..... I aint so crazy as I was made out it be.

Seems as the South is rising again--- Red Dirt Rising kinda.

I was told long ago if you really believe in something it just may come true--

Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
12 years ago
3,259 posts

There are other places being named in the south east that are being looked at. One is a Road course that will accept the cars, questions were asked as to the difference in the 2 series that was different. No answer was given then..

But dirt was tossed around as a new agenda within the next year or two.

Brian is listening to what Mike is saying for a change. There may be hope yet I am told----we shall see

Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
12 years ago
3,259 posts

if I may say I think there is light in your tunnel

Jim Gibbons
@jim-gibbons
12 years ago
2 posts

As a NASCAR team owner I can say it is the general opinion of Camping World Truck Series owners absolutely not! Grass roots racing is just that. If you want grass roots racing get a late model and go to your local short track. NASCAR is professional sports. Do you hear the NFL talking about playing at local high school football stadiums in order to "get back to their roots"? Of course not. Pro sports is pro sports, amateur sports is amateur sports. Part of the draw of pro sports is the bigger than life stadiums and events. Heat races in series with more expensive race cars is a good way to tear up expensive equipment. Heat races will kill the truck series because it will cost the competitors so much more. It cost a lot more in wear and tear on the very expensive engines, more tires because you burn up a set in a heat race that you other wise would have been able to keep the qualifying tires (2 laps) for use in the main race, and more damage. Also, heat races open up an element of chance in that it is a good opportunity for a top team to get taken out in a wreck not of their involvement. At that level of racing, qualifying is a much cleaner, less expensive, and fairer method of setting the field. It all comes down to "it's good to bring NASCAR back to it's roots"....all that means is making a pro sport seem more like the amateur levels. The Camping World Truck Series is a professional series which allows drivers and teams to gain experience on the bigger 1.5 mile tracks they will be racing on in Nationwide and Cup. If you want to see heat races, short track races, and dirt races...go to your local short track. Of course if this model works, I guess the NFL can learn and follow suit and start holding NFL games in local high school football stadiums.....would that make any sense?

Jim Gibbons
@jim-gibbons
12 years ago
2 posts

Would there be an NFL if they said "we no longer want to present ourselves as a pro sport series, rather we want to make the NFL go back to the roots of football and play at small high school stadiums"? NASCAR wants to "get back to it's roots", well, guess what, those roots still exist out there....every short track around the country. NASCAR is not grass roots, it is pro sports. If NASCAR goes back to grass roots racing then who becomes the professional racing series? It makes no more sense for NASCAR to no longer want to be a professional sports series than it does for the NFL to no longer want to be a professional sport and to go back to playing at high school stadiums in small towns. What it comes down to is there are already grass roots in all sports, and there are pro series. When has any pro series ever said we no longer want to present ourselves as a professional series and we now want to make ourselves grass roots again....? Fans watch NASCAR, the NFL, the NBA because they want to see the big show, the pros in bigger than life events, the spectacle, the huge stadiums and tracks, etc. So again, I guess if this works, the NFL can improve itself by playing it's games at small town football stadiums. I don't think the NFL would ever lower its standing as the premiere football league by saying we no longer want to continue moving upward as a pro series, rather we want to go backwards and go back to where we all used to play when we were kids......

Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
12 years ago
3,259 posts

There was talk of going back to the old style of racing where we had heat races and trophy dashes. I dont see where anyone would NOT like that style of races,and on dirt too.?? That is a win win situation. They play ball on dirt dont they? even football if you care to compare

Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
12 years ago
3,259 posts

Mr Gibbons,you refer to going forward or rather upwards to use your terminology in the sport of racing. Now true you were talking of football when you said that B U T nascar today has got out of hand for the entry level driver /owner to compete. Fans want to see real racing not follow the leader and if you can pass on the straightaway do so otherwise no touch in turns.. Fans want something you can relate to.. How many fans watch football and pull for a team because of what kind of ball they play with or what kind of glove they use? There is no comparison of the two..

Racing is a sport that is dear to all here on Racers Reunion and almost 80% of our membership own or have ties to a car. So be careful how you rock the boat,Rocking it is not the problem, Its how you rock it.

Jeff Gilder
@jeff-gilder
12 years ago
1,783 posts

I'm totally missing this point...sorry. I don't see thecomparisonat all.

--
Founder/Creator - RacersReunion®
Jeff Gilder
@jeff-gilder
12 years ago
1,783 posts

If the truck series was filling those large stadiums, I don't this would even be considered. But it is not. If the NFL werefillingonly a fraction of the stands at every game, it would proably make sense to move to aless expensive venue.

--
Founder/Creator - RacersReunion®
Tommy Buxton
@tommy-buxton
12 years ago
53 posts

I don't know about the fans Mr Gibbons talks about as far as what they want to see ( I have not seen very many fans at any of the truck races this year,last year or the the year before)but the ones I talk to and hang out with are going to fill the place up when they get back on the real short tracks. I am thankful they would even consider what is important to us. Some folks need to realize that the folksbuying the tickets matter. Maybe it's time to reel in some of the cost to compete in these series and just get back to old fashioned racing.The realtruth is, ifyou were in it for the fun of it then you would probably be at a short track racing an entry level or even a vintage car where it's about the love of the sport and not who you rub elbows with or how you can spend money tobuy your way past the next guy. This sport used to be about talent but now it's about who is pretty enough for the sponsorsand has truck loads of money behind them.That goes for Late Models all the way up to the Cup Series. The water has been so poluted by money that I am pretty sure we can never see it like it should be, I don't care what track they put them on but at least the short tracks and dirt tracks are better than mega seat speedways. Mr Gibbons,I will address this at you directly. You car and truck owners spend money like it's water running from a spigut.What cost less,a few more tires and a little bit of sheet metal or the whole car wadded up in a ball on super speedways caught up in the big one? I think your cost theory is a bunch of bull butter. As far as your expensive engines, I am sure one can be made to last for 2 or 3 races on a short track as opposed to 1 on a speedway and I know a short track engine cost is less than a speedway engine.You for sure will save some money on the fuel bill.Why does this sport need to be about money instead of hard work and talent ? Why has this become the American way ? I am all for getting back to our roots. We might even see some low budget Saturday night gunslinger show up and prove the little guy can overcome money with hard work and talent. It's kind of like the Yankees in baseball, anybody can spend money,but sometimes hard work and talent can overcome!

Tommy Buxton
@tommy-buxton
12 years ago
53 posts

Thanks for the support PK, and a special shout out to you for what you do for RR. We haven't always agreed on things but that is what makes this place special. We can disagree about some things yet we always stick together when the going gets tough. Kinda like family Ma!(wink)

Jason Ferguson
@jason-ferguson
12 years ago
27 posts

That was an A+ response, Tommy! You are the man!

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

Boo

--
Patsy Thompkins ~ Keisler
@patsy-thompkins-keisler
12 years ago
559 posts

HERE....HERE...(CLAPPING)!!!!!!!!!

darrell roberts
@darrell-roberts
12 years ago
1 posts

its about time that one of the top series comes to greenville pickens. cant wait looking forward to a awesome race. the truck series puts on a better show than the cup boys do